3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

To Banks or not to Banks

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Banks or not to Banks

Right now I have a pred stage 1 and its ok. I work at a custom truck shop and we sell the crap out of Banks 6gun. The are trying to get me to stack it at work and Im not really sure if I should. I was also curious if I do the tone ring mod on my truck and I do deside to go with the Banks will that affect anything? I m just seeing 13mpg in town and it sucks. So I am thinking of ditchin the Pred chip and just going with the Banks. This is my first diesel so thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:44 AM

Never tried any of the Banks electrinics but I have their intercooler and Im happy with it. I've noticed if you do a search on here that any time Banks is mentioned you get a rash of people who dont like their stuff, price vs. performance. I think for the same money you could get alot better setup. But if the price is right I would go for it. I guess it all depends on what your goal for the truck is.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:17 AM
DUK

Thumbs down Re:To Banks or not to Banks

I was at my Houston area dealer last week looking around the parts dept. and the Service rep showed me an '05 w/ the Banks 6 Gun installed that had 2 pistons that looked like someone had taken the cutting torch to them! These pistons had gone thru a severe meltdown. Besides the 6 Gun, no other motor mods were noted except for the intake and exhaust. Repairs were not going to be covered according to the rep. I know there are unusual exceptions with all mods/chips but I would not insall one on my truck and I'm not anti-Banks. I think they have some good products out there, but I have not heard from anyone saying Banks would warrant a failure like this. Your truck, your decision what you are willing to risk. Just my 2 cents.
DUK
Old 01-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Banned

You could stack Banks ,Edge,Quad,TST,Bully dog,all of them and the ratios is about the same as stock trucks that have burn down, the appearance of aftermarket equipment is not a Automatically related to the cause.I have seen this same issue in every Diesel Made By Man.I had one Cat motor burn the same hole Three TIMES before we discovered the Problem.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:01 AM

Stay away from the Banks electronics.

But their hard parts are AWESOME! Get yourself a Juice/Attitude or a TST and be done with it. Then get a nice turbo, and some tranny upgrades (clutch or built auto) and go to town like I did!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 AM
tcb

i do not have any electronics but know guys who do and they are happy, no problems. most bad mouth them because they are overpriced for some. i personally run edge juice with attitude. have also run a bully dod power pup and an edge ez. have been happy with all just bought the juice while the pup was back for a reflash. first juice was bad by week two edge replace it pronto no more problems. i know a truck with burned pistons due to an ez. the ofending truck did not have guages and i bet the other posted truck did not either. go with what you want to, ignore the the stink because.

tim
Old 01-26-2006, 10:03 AM

I dont bad mouth them for their price
heck
call the tech line once and see if you want their product after being put on an indefinate hold
i was on hold for 35 minutes , three times in one day before I finally hung up and gave up on fixing the problem
thank god I went thru an excellent dealer that took it back no question
Old 01-26-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not to banks. banks uses pressure and so does the stage 1 predator I do believe.

If I were you I would call dr. performace and verify if you the fuel pressure is raised with their module. If it is I would not run the two of them. I have read thier site but it not complete descriptive on how the power is made. it just talks aobut optimizing cubustion effeciency. If it is a presure modual look for something like the tst or juice that is timining and duration only. it is a safer stack.

now if the predator is duration only the you could stack them. that would be the perfect compliment to the banks.

I will say to anyone that has actually burnt pistons I would bet there was no pyro installed. which means two things actually. banks must have some higher egt's than others and the people who ran a box without out a pyro are complete morons so not sure if that is a bad rap against banks. I have seen a truck on tdr with 3 burnt pistons from a banks six gun. He has no pyro though. I mean if I were towing up a grade in level 5 with my juice and the pyro not installed I might be able to burn stuff up too.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:54 PM
tcr

I would buy Banks again and again, and I have had to send 1 box back. Tech assist was great in my case and if you get crappy service then your just not loud enough. You are very limited w/ what you can stack w/ banks for some reason, I'm learning this the hard way.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:08 PM

I wouldnt go with Banks, they are overpriced and have a bad reputation, like the others have said. I would go with a good quality chip such as TST or Bullydog or Van Aaken
Old 01-26-2006, 01:32 PM
tcr

I'm pretty sure I've seen far more problems posted on a certain programmer that many seem to recommend (both here and TDR) but I may be seeing things. Bank's retail prices are high but if you can read this you have access to a computer and shouldn't have to pay retail prices. Just my too scentz
Old 01-26-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think that price and quality would come in second and third place to is this a smart stack first of all.

1. Is this a good stack? (I am not sure)

2. Is the price of the product in line with the competition? (six gun is more than the Juice as I compared them)

3. are the banks customer service claims accurate? (one phone call about this stack should sum that up, I did not need to as I decided not to use them)

I mean once you start debating a companies reputation you can argue for days. I did not need to even get there. I didn't want presure as part of my main box strike one and the banks was too much money strike too. I did actaully consider it based on features with the pda option. Cost was very high. just the normal six gun with speed loader was more than the juice. the pda option made it so much more it was not even funny.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When I had my Truck in the shop to have the leaky injector pump replaced under warranty I saw a 2003 2500 with the #4 piston melted. The mechanic told me that the #4 injector was stuck open. He tried to get Dodge to let him replace it but they wouldn't. Needless to say they ended up putting a motor and a turbo in the truck. I just wanted everyone to be reminded that things happen. It is not always the upgrades that cause the issues. Just a faulty part.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:57 PM

Just say no to Banks TST is where it's at
Old 01-27-2006, 12:18 AM

Wow lots of info guys thanks! At my work we get Bully Dog and also Edge. They all bad mouth the Edge becuase right when you open the box and read the directions it says that edge is not responsible for any damages caused by their product. And bully dog says that basically if somethign goes wrong then its the installers fault.. Where as Banks will send a new unit when you burn it up. Personally I would rather go Edge w/ Juice because I have heard so many good things about it from many people! But I dont think I want to stack at all. My main goal with the truck is I want better fuel econmy when I dont need the power and I want the power when I need it.