3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks inter cooler ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks inter cooler ?

Has anyone changed their intercooler or tried the Banks high ram intake?
If so, did they notice any lower egt's or better fuel economy?
Also will the TST power max work with an aftermarket turbo?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 PM

can't comment on the banks stuff, there are a lot of threads about the two products, but the TST will work with a aftermarket turbo.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:51 PM

the TST works BEST if you have an aftermarket turbo! The TST will kill the stock one if you turn it up too high and push it hard, some have blown their turbo immediately after installing the TST. I was lucky with mine, I never blew mine but it wasn't going to last forever on 9/9. With the stock turbo, I ran it for several mo. on 9/9. Now with my B1-04, it feels as strong on 5/5 as the stock turbo did on 9/9.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:46 PM

Can't comment on the Banks stuff, but as above the tst loves big turbos! Even with the sps66 my truck aint worth a crap on tst 9,9 waaayyy toooo Hot. Tst at 7,7 seems to be about all she wants, my SOP dyno says that anything higher is just heat and smoke.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:45 PM

I phoned Banks directly and spoke to one of their tech support people about the HI RAM intake. He told me no dyno testing was done with just the intake only. No solid numbers to show what kinds of results could be expected, if any. They look cool though...................
Old 10-29-2005, 11:32 PM

As my mod list is gonna grow, I wonder if a GOOD aftermarket intercooler and intake will be a good stepping stone for future mods, and, if it'll work (and hopefully help some) with the stock turbo and edge juice/attitude on leve 5 (with upgraded fuel system)??
Old 10-30-2005, 09:05 AM

with the bigger cooler do you notice any more lag or a milage increase.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Did anyone happen to notice Gale Banks is building a custom Twins set-up for the Duramax that Extreme4X4 is dropping into their Project "Towing Vehicle" on their show?
He's building it complete from the Crankshaft out.
New crank, cam, lifters, pistons, rods....the works.
Gale said he's expecting ~750HP & ~1,000 lb/ft of torque.

He also said something quite relavent towords the end of the segment when questioned about lots of smoke from a diesel engine.

"Smoke is power you can see, but can't use"

Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Did anyone happen to notice Gale Banks is building a custom Twins set-up for the Duramax that Extreme4X4 is dropping into their Project "Towing Vehicle" on their show?
He's building it complete from the Crankshaft out.
New crank, cam, lifters, pistons, rods....the works.

He also said something quite relavent towords the end of the segment when questioned about lots of smoke from a diesel engine.

"Smoke is power you can see, but can't use"

yeah, i remember seeing that first months ago [and the rerun was past weekend] that big hoss intake manifolds he is making up for the Dmax look impressive [even if they make no extra power, they look ] now if they would come out with something similar for our engines. i like the one that was on the sidewinder truck, but that would mean replacment head. too much work. now, if someone would come out with a piece to replace the intake horn and the intake manifold plate with something that looks much prettier, i'd be interested [for that all show, no go factor]
Old 10-31-2005, 04:54 PM

Guys,I saw a nice looking ATS intake horn with built in nozzle ports for drugs. It was on a '94 with twins and water meth.+++...I thought it was both nice form and function. K.S
Old 10-31-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead

I would love to see some actual dyno numbers on that engine when they are finished. 1000 lb/ft seems a little light for 750HP on a diesel, but that might be a characteristic of the shorter stroke V8's versus the I6's.

I think the High Ram looks cool, but I also question is ability to add horsepower. From my experience on turbo/supercharged engines pressure is pressure. Intake design is not crucial as long as you can efficiently provide enough air to the intake ports. The key is supplying enough volume of air at a certain pressure, which is in part why I think Banks made the High Ram is so much larger than stock. However, you still have the bottleneck of the lower plenum/intake. On a naturally aspirated engine I can see some value having a larger chamber like that. I still think it looks pretty (the ATS too), so I will probably save that mod for last .

The Technicooler on the other hand I can see adding some value. I have seen some dyno tests on the SRT4's showing swapping the intercooler to a larger more efficient design adding 15 HP by itself. Anything you can do to lower intake air temp making the air charge more dense should theoretically add more power (of course on a diesel you need the fuel to match). It would be nice to see some flow bench numbers between the stocker and the Technicooler.

-Muzzy
Old 11-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Intercooler

Thanks for all the replies. This is the best sight I've been to.
Received intercooler package today. Will hopefully install this week, depending on work. Post results as soon as I get them.
If anybody reads this that has done the ring tone mod, my question is doesnt the TST advance the timing itself ? Would the mod be worth it?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Banned

From previous thread

It may not do a whole lot but it sure is pretty.....