3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks High Ram

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to try one on the dyno vs. the stock piece, a 2nd gen horn, and maybe another custom unit. We'll see how it does... I'll let you guys know.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:54 PM

just remember when it comes to motor and performance parts in general you get what you pay for, although there is a big markup on banks stuff! so do yourself a favor and shop around on some of the websites.

now with that said i think the banks hard parts are phenominal like exhausts, intercoolers, turbos that sort of stuff (i have had them on two different trucks). the electronics are a different story they completely suck, although the ones i had and gave back after testing did exactly what they had claimed and i actually got a little more power out of the six gun then they had advertised.

I just decided to bite the bullet and get a banks high ram and intercooler package, but for 1000$ delivered i couldnt pass that up. from the research i have done it seems to get the full benefit out of the high ram you need the intercooler and a new turbo of some kind that flows more air. i will be going with twins early next year and this is where the high ram and intercooler see the biggest benefits, being in the form of lower egt's. i heard a couple members on TDR say they saw about 200* drop in egt's at WOT with cooler and high ram. i would do a search over there and here on high ram or intercooler. there is a few articles over there. hope this helps.

Will
Old 12-14-2005, 06:23 PM

if you got $ to blow and want your truck to look cool go for it...but thats all its going to do. my diesel perf shop dyno tested them and got no gain what so ever.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:52 PM

What all does the Bank$ "kit" come with? Is there a core required? Twins are on the horizon.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by JD 70
if you got $ to blow and want your truck to look cool go for it...but thats all its going to do. my diesel perf shop dyno tested them and got no gain what so ever.

Well just because JOE BLOW'S shop in where ever dyno tested them (on who knows what they tested it on, could have been a stock truck) and didnt show a gain in hp doesnt mean S***. sorry everyone. I'm sure that the diesel performance shop you speak of hooked a pressure and volume gauge up to measure the difference over stock Right????? just like i'm sure they measured the egt's as well?????

So if they told you all the high ram and intercooler would do is look "cool" then i'd be finding myself a new diesel shop. maybe you should read up on what a product is supposed to do or ask some questions before you make an incorrect statement!

we aren't looking for a direct gain in hp from just the intercooler and high ram! more cool air does not make hp unless you have more fuel to mix with it. just like i said in my last post if your running a stock truck your not going to see a huge difference in the temperatures. Now if your running a timing, duration and some form of pressure boxes, twins and injectors; you bet your a$$ your going to be able to get more hp out of the same setup with it turned up because your going to have cooler egt's. the best results are being seen on high hp trucks say above 450 horse with higher boost, but they say even on a stock setup you should see about 75* temp drop. not to mention the stock intercoolers on the 05's are plastic, so how is it the banks stuff is not going to give an improvement?? do some research before you post some bone head comment with nothing to back it up!

and if you want some articles to read here ya go, those should keep you busy. there are enough memebers on those three posts that have the high ram and intercooler. you should send them a PM and see what they think not just listen to my research on the subject!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ks+intercooler

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ks+intercooler

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=67293

P.S. i noticed you have a banks six gun. i thought banks was over priced?? funny thing is banks has the cheapest intercooler out on the market got mine for 1000 with the high ram but most are selling it for around 1100-1150 and the next closest thing i could find was haisleys and they wanted 1500 for only a new intercooler
Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by gsdog1
What all does the Bank$ "kit" come with? Is there a core required? Twins are on the horizon.

Thanks!

hey there from what i was told the system or kit comes with the high ram, intercooler(brand new, no core required), hoses and clamps to complete the job. hope that helps
Old 12-15-2005, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think either of the aftermarket intake horns, Banks or ATS, has the potential to make a difference if the supporting mods are there and enough HP is present to take advantage. For instance, the stock intercooler is a bigger restriction than the intake horn could ever dream of being. My guess is, Banshee, if he is still running the stock intercooler, probably won't see a benefit to any of the horns he is going to try. If he has replaced the stock intercooler and is still running the stock horn, it is possible he will find a measurable improvement when he tries the others. I'm not sure a truck on stock fueling with the stock turbo would see a benefit in either horn. The point is the stock 3rd Gen horn got very narrow verses the 2nd Gen horn due to the bolt configuration where it bolts to the head. The inside width is almost cut in half. The Banks, along with the ATS intake horn, and the 2nd Gen horn (if it would fit?), all get rid of this little present from DC and open the horn up a good bit, but you would need an aftermarket cooler and big huffer(s) to get enough air through it to see the advantage. The fancy flare on the Banks horn is just bling and won't do anything for you, but the horn itself does take care of the issue that matters. My $.02
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 AM

Thanks Saccowboy.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 PM

saccowboy:

blackdodge said nothing about upgrading his intercooler...if he were to get the intercololer also, then it might add a pony or two...but the $ to hp ratio is very bad...do you believe every thing you read????...just telling you what i have read and what others have experienced...why would a sales man tell me not to buy something from him...maybe cause he wants to keep my business and not sell me useless equipment...hmmmm....what do you think....

oh yeah...and when i was inquiring about boxes banks told me that the high ram would be the LAST mod i should consider because it does provides "the least amount of benefit for the money"

so until you get dyno proven results.........
Old 12-15-2005, 02:12 PM

I had the unfortunate experience of blowing up two stock intercoolers. Leaving me stranded out on the road for the second one. I searched around and found at the time that NOBODY was making an aftermarket intercooler other than banks.... That being said I was basically forced to buy one or else it would be a month without my truck.. I spent $1500 on mine directly from banks but that was OVERNIGHTED from wherever in cali. to bfe wisconsin. About $350 of the price was shipping so I don't feel bad doing it.

Now for the performance aspect.... I had the quad xzt before the intercooler setup and noticed at least a 200* drop in egt's just from the intercooler and the high-ram. Yes it comes as part of "a kit" the technicooler package. which included the high-ram, intercooler, and all of the boots and clamps and hardware for remounting the stock condenser. So is it worth it I think yes.. Do I think it is a little pricey Yes but I will never have to worry about blowing the end tanks off of the banks unit. ok I'm done ranting......
Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JD 70
saccowboy:

blackdodge said nothing about upgrading his intercooler...if he were to get the intercololer also, then it might add a pony or two...but the $ to hp ratio is very bad...do you believe every thing you read????...just telling you what i have read and what others have experienced...why would a sales man tell me not to buy something from him...maybe cause he wants to keep my business and not sell me useless equipment...hmmmm....what do you think....

Well if you would have looked over his original post more carefully you also would have noticed that he didnt ask anything about hp gains on a dyno just what people have thought about it! then you also would have noticed that a few in this thread have said it would only be worth his money to get the intercooler as well as a new turbo to push some air, keep in mind this was someone that had it installed.

banks was right to tell you to make the system the last thing to do, because without the turbos and fuel boxes its not going to yeild a return. do you really think that banks is going to sell and take the time to design a kit that doesnt do anything?? your right i dont beleive everything i read, but when members repeatedly say the same thing from similar experiences then you tend to beleive the whole. thats exactly y i dont beleive you when u say it is useless with nothing to back it up. find me a user that has installed the kit that is unhappy?? who are these "others" that you are refering to??

i have not talked to a person yet that had installed it and thought it not worth it, even though it is pricey! especially people that have the plastic intercooler, you know people with 05's.....!