3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks 3rd gen Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:15 PM
KBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks 3rd gen Intercooler

I have an 05 dodge auto CTD which has the wimpy intercooler (plastic end tanks). I plan to drag race my truck with twins,etc ( I want it all). Is the Banks Techni-cooler intercooler with the boost tube &high ram worth the money ($1300) or should I buy or find a used 04 intercooler(which may be very difficult to find). Thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Banned

My 04.5 intercooler has metal tanks, all welded. And holds 42 lbs of boost. I dont know the different flow rate of the banks versus the 04 stock cooler, but I have thought about buying the High Ram. Does anyone have any info on whether the High Ram is worth it?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 AM

The Banks guy in my area says it is sweet BUT, that is the only person I have ever heard say that - most say it shows no improvement and is a waste of money - spend money on intake and or exhaust improvements or save for a new clutch (mine just started slipping in 6th gear so I know it is coming )
Old 04-14-2005, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No experience with the high ram personally, but lots of talk about them in the 2nd Gen forums. A search will provide some interesting comments. In a nut shell, with dyno results to back it up, they think the high ram is a rip off.

With intercoolers, more passages, not necessarily bigger passages, is better and will provide a benefit. Aftermarket intercoolers are still a new thing with not a lot of data to back them up and prices are a little steep in my opinion. BD-Power is working on one as well and should be released soon. It will be interesting to see how much they get for theirs. Performance versus dollar, until prices come down I think finding a used 03/04 metal intercooler will be the way to go. If you can’t find one locally, you might try some of the on-line used parts finders that submit your request to multiple salvage yards. They stand a good chance of finding one for you and are unlikely to know that you just can't buy the stock metal intercoolers any more and hike up the price accordingly. www.car-part.com , www.usedpartslive.com , www.junkyarddog.com , www.usedpartscentral.com , www.copartfinder.com ……just to name a few. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:53 AM

These intercoolers are not available yet, so no real experience with them. If they perform like the other ones that are out for other applications, it should make a noticeable difference over the stock unit.