3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Ball Bearing turbos..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ball Bearing turbos..

I have the Industrial Injection twins and they spool a little slow for me DD and really slow towing. If I had some guidance as to what trim/size turbos to buy, is it possible to swap out garretts for my 62 and K31 and still use the piping and everything else??

I was thinkin like a GT3076R over a GT4088R.. I guess this part im gonna need soulezoo.. lol
Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 PM
trx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That seems like a pretty small set. I would think a GT3788r over a GT42 would be considered a towing twins set. With the fuel you have I bet your gonna need something larger. I'm sure soulezoo or Harry will help you out.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, I am gonna disappoint ya here I am afraid. There's no cheap way around this.

I am surprised to hear that they are that slow for you; that is their "towing" set up. Are you sure something else isn't going on? You should be getting satisfactory results especially with the fueling you have in your sig... ok, well without addressing that end of it and sticking with the direct question, the answer is going to be you cannot swap the pipes. It is not that simple. You have spacing and geometry of the pipes in relation to the dimensions of the turbos to consider as well as diameters and the end fittings. Such as "V"-band vs. slip on for the compressor shroud outlets. Plus Garretts have a different turbine outlet size for the clamps there. Now it is possible to have the turbine outlet size custom made, but that doesn't solve the compressor side.

Really, if this twin set doesn't suit you, the best advice is to sell them as a whole kit and buy a kit that does suit you. That's just my opinion. I think unless you're a great fab artist to begin with, it is not worth the trouble to go the route you suggest and you may not save any money over the long term.

Now for the Garretts that would be appropriate, looking at your mods, I think the best choice would be a gt3788r stage three over a gt4508r. That'll support over 750hp and spool faster than a stock HE351w turbo.

As far as some of these "kits" that are on the market, I really can't believe some of the stuff still offered, at the prices they are offered, an people still get them. What I am getting at is they are out of date. I will specifically pick on the PDR "Cobra stage one and two" kits... all they are, are the old hx35/bht3b or hx40/bht3b setups that were good in their day, say 4 years ago, but are still being offered full price. They are just really old technology now. But folks get them not knowing any better and wonder why they spool so slow. II with their "race" twins throw in a big brother as a primary. Wow. Yeah it'll do 120 lbs/min but you can time the spool with a sundial. A well made s480 with race cover might be twice the price of the big bro, but infinitely more effective. But do they pass the discount of the cheaper turbo on to you? no... Shop well people! Get more informed, make an informed choice, no such thing as too much information and knowledge. That's what is great about some of the vendors that post here... they've forgotten more about this stuff than we'll ever know and they are willing to share it.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks Soulezoo.. I appreciate you breakin it down for me.. I need to address my fuel system which is gonna come first.. either i have a couple bad injectors.. (not making any oil) or i dont have enough pump cuz I pull rail press down to like 12K when I romp it.. it runs back up toward 20 if i stay in it. Depending on if the injectors are bad or not, I am thinking about selling he Stg 3 pump and putting the stock back on. Then going with Evils dual pumps or ATS dual pump kit..
Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I think the best choice would be a gt3788r stage three over a gt4508r. That'll support over 750hp and spool faster than a stock HE351w turbo.
Does anyone sell these in a twin kit?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by TrkEnvy
Thanks Soulezoo.. I appreciate you breakin it down for me.. I need to address my fuel system which is gonna come first.. either i have a couple bad injectors.. (not making any oil) or i dont have enough pump cuz I pull rail press down to like 12K when I romp it.. it runs back up toward 20 if i stay in it. Depending on if the injectors are bad or not, I am thinking about selling he Stg 3 pump and putting the stock back on. Then going with Evils dual pumps or ATS dual pump kit..
Wow, you have a stage 3 pump and can pull it down to 12k, honestly Id call II and get some answers or your money back, thats awful, Id be ******.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Yeah.. I was pulling it way down and it would smoke heavy due to the poor atamazation.. * <--- spelled wrong I know but too lazy to look it up. * I played with my boxes and it isnt as bad anymore.. I think it was just a crappy tune I was running before mixed with big stix...
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM

i have their stage 3 as well, and it works good, it pulls and stays up at 26500psi.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcat
Does anyone sell these in a twin kit?
Not yet... it is a custom made thing and costs a few $$$ more than kits out there.

But if really interested in them PM me and I can steer you in the direction.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 PM

Ball bearings are expensive, but worth it, I think
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 AM

I really think you need to listen to what soelzoo's was starting to touch on! I also feel as though you have some other serious problems...it is obvious you have some kind of a serious fuel issue and turbos need fuel to spool!
Is your 62 a 71 or 65 tubine? Either way that set (62 over K-31) is a darn fast spooler on a 12V so it should be scary fast on a CR!