3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Back into a Diesel.. now need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back into a Diesel.. now need advice.

Well about a month ago i traded in my 2003 Jeep rubicon. and picked up a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 auto.

As of right now it is pretty stock, but i have installed a straight pipe and an AFE CAI stg 2.

My next mods will be gauges, prolly pyro,boost,trans and fuel.. now as far as fuel goes with these newer diesels what do you guys do? like on the rail or what?

and i want to upgrade my tranny before i add preformance chips to it. and i am completely lost on this matter. and i need advice.

Now for the preformance parts will plan to add a Smarty and maybe an Edge ez or pressure(i heard this was a great combo)?

And later on down the road i plan for mabye injectore, extra fuel pump?, and turbo. (maybe 6months down the road)

Any advice is greatly appreciated..
Old 04-13-2010, 01:19 AM

Well at least u guys with with the same tranny as mine (auto) what did u do to it to hold about 500hp? I plan on a smarty soon and don't know what to get for my trans.. Do I need every lil thing, complete builit or just a heavy duty TC and VB with flex plate and input shaft? I drag rarely maybe twice a year if that so no boosted launches for me but will prolly mess with a few other diesels reguraly on the highway. Thanks guys
Old 04-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My stocker started slipping around 430 I think.

I still plumb my FP in to the line. I don't think that there is a port to plug in on the newer 5.9's. I have my Air Dog going straight to my CP3, I bought a 90* fitting that was already tapped for a NPT and put my FP line in that.

Tranny: I have an ATS stage 4, and I have had no problems out of it that were not self induced. Goerend is a really good tranny company right now, too. You can either buy parts and have it built locally, or do a core swap. I personally vote for the latter, for 4500 bucks, you can have a sweet tranny.

A smarty and an MP8 are a great stack, a TST is even better than the MP8. The MP8 is a lot cheaper.

I did an Arson II (they have the III out now) DIY mod on my CP3, I have plenty of fuel.

If you are going to do injectors, depending on how big you go, I'd try to do the turbo at the same time.

The big question is, do you have an ultimate goal? Are you just looking for 500 hp, or are you going to go bigger? You need to figure this out before you start spending. If you are looking at going over 450 or so, I'd get studs, springs, look into a cam... I could go on.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 AM

Yeah it's going to be a long process and I don't have the money to do it all at once, heck who does? But for now I really just want to get my trans to hold the power that my smarty and whatever else I get ( you suggested mp8 ) and get that out of the way!
Thanks for the heads up on gauges
Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 AM

ive been reading a lot of good things about Georend, heck thats who my buddy used on his and no complaints what so ever. So i think im going to give him a call tomorrow and see what he suggest. I really dont think i will shoot for anything over 500hp.. whatever a smarty and an mp8 or other will get me too i think thats where ill call it good. but who knows.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Make sure you get the supporting mods, such as gauges, (fuel, rail, boost, egt, trans if you tow), aftermarket fuel pump, exhaust, air intake/filter mods.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:33 AM

yes i will be getting gauges soon.. before the trans! and being that i have an auto i will have to have an trans temp gauge. But i also will be getting a fuel pump as well, be readin and lookin into the AD.. just dont know which one will bennifit me for my app. but i will continue to read and look into those in the time being.

Thanks madhat!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

The FP choice is a tough one... You can get the AD 150, but lose the fuel heater in the stock bowl, or get the Raptor 150, and lose the added filtration, unless you run an inline filter. AK, Cananda, right? You probably could get away with just running a AD150 to the stock canister, keep both, however, I think you have to call and let AD know what you are doing, they won't send the fittings for that with an AD 150 kit, normally, you run it straight to the CP3, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong on that...
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 AM

Yeah AK, militray, not by choice hahaha. Cool I will keep that in mind when I get ready for that.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:56 PM

Well stopped by Advanced Diesel today and got some Isspro gauges (EV2) ordered. I got pyro, boost, trans. Maybe later down the road I will get the fp gauge. Are u guys with the CR running a rail pressure gauge too? I ask why bc doesn't it run at like 25k psi? Or why would u need to moniter it?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Man, the fuel pressure is important, and the Rail Pressure is too, don't skimp on those.

If you are running programmers, you can drain your rail, and it will seem like your truck is shutting off... it will help you tune your truck and trouble shoot it.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 AM

Yeah I don't have a programmer yet and won't run one until I get an Air dog or something along the lines of a dual lift pump.

Which would you suggest as far as brands? I've heard great things about both AD and fass but one may be too loud or letting too much air in?

And I will prolly get the steering colum pillar with the rail and fp gauge mounted thier before I add a programmer. But I have to get my tranny done before that as well... UGH!!! I need money
Old 04-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

I have heard that the FASS is loud, I love my AD 150. No problems, I've had it for almost 3 years. They have great customer service, IMHO. The only problems I have heard with air getting in is error on the part of the installer.

If you use a draw straw on your instalation, let me know, I'll give you some tips. I've done a few, and figured out how to get around the 1/4 tank issues.

Ya gotta have those supporting mods first, man. I know it's a pain, but if you don't, it could end up costing you a lot of money.

When you say dual lift pump, what do you mean? The AD is a stand alone.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:54 AM

Oh... Ok so ur just replacing ur lift pump with either an AD or Fass? That makes sense, bc on my muddies 02 he ran a bd lift pump and he always called it a dual. My stupidity

Yeah that's why I'm tryin to knock out all of these supporting mods first, they do hurt the pocket book, but it will save me in the long run.

Hey Madhat, have u heard anything good or bad about BD trans? The guy I ordered my gauges from has never hears of Georend but deals with BD, I went and search but it looks like the guys on here don't really run that brand. But I'm going to call over to Georend tomorrow and see what he says.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dblue
Oh... Ok so ur just replacing ur lift pump with either an AD or Fass? That makes sense, bc on my muddies 02 he ran a bd lift pump and he always called it a dual. My stupidity

Yeah that's why I'm tryin to knock out all of these supporting mods first, they do hurt the pocket book, but it will save me in the long run.

Hey Madhat, have u heard anything good or bad about BD trans? The guy I ordered my gauges from has never hears of Georend but deals with BD, I went and search but it looks like the guys on here don't really run that brand. But I'm going to call over to Georend tomorrow and see what he says.
I know I'm not mad hat, but I'd rather have Daves "Georend" tranny... I've ridden in a truck with each and Daves was nicer IMO... BD's okay to though, its all my opinion...

Quick Reply: Back into a Diesel.. now need advice.