3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Auxillary OD

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what happens when you put it into 4x4,,,, I am kinda lost here,, sorry

Kevin
Old 10-29-2006, 10:30 PM

the GV is mounted behind the transfer case, so only the rear driveshaft has the option of going into overdrive,

the Gear Vendors Overdrive can not be engaged while in 4wd because the front and rear driveshafts end up going different speeds, causing the transfer case to explode clear as mud
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 AM

lol,, so basically no good for racing,, cause I would never be able to launch in 2wd anyways.... but I could see it being good for towing,, might get me past my 1900 rpm problem.

Kevin
Old 10-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Muted User

I know this is a discussion about performance of the GV units, though I was wondering if I have to go direct to them for parts. It appears my Manual--Auto switch is out and could use a new one. Unit still works with manual/solenoid operation just fine.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 AM

I would probably start there personally

Kevin
Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Muted User

Thanks Kevin. Since the unit works fine at the moment, it is not a huge priority, though it is nice to not always have to kick the solenoid on and off all the time (I do remember when the auto switch used to work).
Old 10-30-2006, 12:30 AM

How do you like the unit overall,, what kind of mods do you have, do you tow? Is it worth the investment?

Kevin
Old 10-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Muted User

I like it. Top speed of 85 or so without it, I have had truck up to 110 or so with it. I am about to throw up my signature, sit tight for a moment. I do not tow, though I have in the past for work. Our trucks are quite different in terms of practically everything, and the unit was on the truck when we bought it from the original owner. For $3000 or so USD I can see it being a little bit on the upside, though it helps majorly on fuel with my truck (as far as I can tell, see sig for reason why i dont know LOL)
Old 10-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Muted User

Ok sorry to post two in a row though here is what im working with, now in my sig-
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 AM

Yeah that is why I want to really research this bad boy before I go and sink a large ammount of cash into it and not like it or it wont help my situation

Kevin
Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Muted User

From what I have read the other people saying on this thread, It is a good investment overall. Not sure the exact mileage increase, but it is definatly noticable if I am doing a lot of highway driving rather than city driving, at the pump at least. I drove a 2000+ mile trip when the unit was not functioning correctly, and my wallet felt the difference. When I got back from that trip, I had it fixed.

Range is definatly at a noticable difference for me with the unit.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 AM

cool,, it is definately wheting my appetite,, little worried about the 4x4 thing though

Kevin
Old 10-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Muted User

Well the unit has 2 different ways to activate, one is a floor mounted solenoid and the other is a switch that allows you to operate it by the solenoid or have it kick on automatically, id say if you were going to engage 4wd to just flip the switch over to manual and make sure the unit is off- there are lights on the unit to let you know what setting it is on, and if it engaged or not-
Old 10-30-2006, 06:09 AM

You wire the GV unit in to your transfer case switch that indicates the truck is in 4-wheel drive. This serves as an interlock to turn the GV unit off if you throw it in 4WD, however it is just a safety thing and I wouldn’t try it. Also the GV unit automatically shuts off at speeds less than 20 MPH. It also can’t be engaged at less than 20 MPH for it needs a certain speed to build enough internal hydraulic pressure to operate. Hydraulic pressure is used to move the internal clutch that holds the ring gear from spinning in off mode. Also I wouldn’t try to do burnouts in reverse with this thing for you only get a friction coupling for reverse since the unit uses a one way clutch for forward while the unit is not engaged.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input and special thanks to Metternich for posting detailed information on his OD system. This gives me numbers to work with, no two systems are alike but now I have some real data.

Don't worry about being too technical, we can bring folks up to date if something is not understood.

Quick Reply: Auxillary OD