3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Auxiliary Back Up Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxiliary Back Up Lights?

Ok I've been searching for threads on this for awhile and I still cant find what I was looking for.

I thought I saw recently an aftermarket "plug and play" light system that didnt require additional wiring, fuses, etc.

Anybody seen something like this?

Off the bat I must note that Ive seen (and had) the White Knight but didnt care for it much. Anything else out there????
Old 07-12-2008, 12:38 PM

typed in "auxiliary back up lights" in the advanced search box, searched in 3rd gen, including sub folders and got 8 hits. It's a start. The forum's search function works pretty darn good...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...archid=2498130
Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recon has a kit on their website:
http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...ights&p_cat=46
Old 07-12-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
better off something like kc back up lights. i had the white night lights on a previous truck. they worked-but they were just cheap plastic! after a couple of months- i had to silicone the lights because they leaked. then the lenses started to turn a yellowish color- you get what you pay for- a lot happier with the kc lights.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:03 PM

Doesnt meet your criteria of no wiring, but i used the Defiant Reverse Light Mounts ($30) and 2 5" Hella Rummerized Lights ($18)....price is right, and looks / works good.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked at white night?

Tony
Old 07-12-2008, 11:43 PM

i used the wiring from the white night kit and replaced the lights with a small set of driving lights from advance auto parts. i really like the availability of having them come on with my reverse lights or having the switch so i can have them anytime. they work great, i mounted the switch in one of the pre drilled holes in the hitch and drilled a new one for the relay. i will try to get some pics tomorrow. very clean install and lots of light.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 AM

B/U lights

Not in your criteria, but I installed a pair of Grote 4 inch spotlights on top of my camper shell with a Tyco 30 amp relay connected to my stock B/U lights as a trigger so they come on every time I put the truck in reverse. I also added a toggle switch so I can turn them on manually at any time especially when some goof-ball tailgates me; one shot from those high spotlights at night and either the character backs off or passes me. They are really nice when loading up my boat in the dark. It cost me about $45.00 and 2 1/2 hours of my time to install.

L8r,.......dogger
Old 07-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jason A
Ok I've been searching for threads on this for awhile and I still cant find what I was looking for.

I thought I saw recently an aftermarket "plug and play" light system that didnt require additional wiring, fuses, etc.

Anybody seen something like this?

Off the bat I must note that Ive seen (and had) the White Knight but didnt care for it much. Anything else out there????
Most plug and play are going to be quite useless for enough light as I believe is what you're looking for, as they don't use a separate power supply with relay. Look in my gallery - I believe I have a pic of mine and really the best, is a separate set of lights switched with a relay.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
typed in "auxiliary back up lights" in the advanced search box, searched in 3rd gen, including sub folders and got 8 hits. It's a start. The forum's search function works pretty darn good...
Sweet & thanks, looks like I now know who to PM when I need help setting the time on my VCR

Originally Posted by surfram
These were exactly what I was looking for, thanks alot! I remembered seeing these and noting the power / light output and thought they would make a great set of lights.

Originally Posted by dogger
Not in your criteria, but I installed a pair of Grote 4 inch spotlights on top of my camper shell with a Tyco 30 amp relay connected to my stock B/U lights as a trigger so they come on every time I put the truck in reverse. I also added a toggle switch so I can turn them on manually at any time especially when some goof-ball tailgates me; one shot from those high spotlights at night and either the character backs off or passes me. They are really nice when loading up my boat in the dark. It cost me about $45.00 and 2 1/2 hours of my time to install.

L8r,.......dogger
I hate to say it but I think everyones right. I just need to bite the bullet and run the relay / switches. I already bought the stuff earlier in the year using the wiring diagram I found in a previous thread / search as a parts list but was hoping to find something plug and play.

I originally liked the idea of the 3 way switch as well for the on / off / auto so that I could have light wether the truck was running or not but also for the tailgaters as well.

The light would give me a second option to run them off my rear. Of course I still really like the trusty old short goose to the skinny peddle. The resulting black cloud seems to send a distinct and undeniable message!

Thanks again!