3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aux Fuel tank question...need help quick

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karlanderiksdad
does a hole have to be drilled in the bed to get the fuel line t the fillre neck?
There is a knock out plug in the front of your bed in both corners ..... just pop it out and no drilling needed . I just went ahead and ordered the overpriced install kit from Northern and slapped it in with very little effort . No probs here with spillage but I have never filled the aux 100 % .
Old 10-20-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 39 US gallon tank in my box and it is hooked up same as Lightmans exept that I hooked up a hose to the two vents on the factory tank and joined them together now the factory tank vents through my auxillery tank that has a 40 micron breather with a quarter inch npt thread on it. Being hooked up this way I do not close the ball valve exept to service the Raycore filter between the two tanks. I have had this system for 149000 kms 92500 miles and the only problem I have had is I got a bad tank of fuel (mostly water in Casper Wy). a few weeks ago and the Raycore would not let it through to the other tank. Fortunatly I did not add any fuel to the factory tank. I have the same filter as Lightman and it is the best water seperator I think you can buy. I drained out the sediment bowl on the filter until I got fuel coming and then it would transfer to the factory tank until the filter was full of water again. and I did this four times to empty the auxillery tank when I got home I removed the Raycore and completly cleaned it and put in a new element. I have to change to a 10 micron element in the winter with just gravity I find that I can use the fuel faster than it will run into the factory tank below - 20 . I made my own tank and I thought I had cleaned it out but the first couple of filter elements were full of welding slag. ( I made it out of steel as I can not weld aluminum.)
I believe this tank and the fact that the lift pump does not have to lift the fuel as far is the reason that I have not had to change a lift pump yet.
However I have ordered the Glacier GFS 392 kit for my truck.
Jim O
Old 02-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tank venting

[QUOTE=Jim O;1174509]"I have a 39 US gallon tank in my box and it is hooked up same as Lightmans exept that I hooked up a hose to the two vents on the factory tank and joined them together now the factory tank vents through my auxillery tank that has a 40 micron breather with a quarter inch npt thread on it."

Jim, I have just installed the 60 gl RDS fuel/toolbox combo on my 2000 2500 Ram deisel. I used the gravity flow kit sold by RDS. as instructed. Put 10 gal fuel in aux tank and opened valve. My factory tank was already almost full. I left the valve open overnight and the next morning I had about a quart of fuel under the truck. I investigated and found it was apparently coming from on top of the factory tank. I called RDS and they told me to loop a hose connecting the two vents on top of the factory tank just as you did. I crawled up under the truck but I can't locate the vents. Can you help me as to where these vents are and how do I reach them. Thanks so much. Jack
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Jack, that's really odd, but the fuel system on 2nd gen trucks may be different.

Jim O - my main tank vents thru my aux tank too, which allows me to fill the main tank all the way full quickly without the foaming/clicking off issue, although to acheive this it just requires leaving the ball valve open, and I have a hose run off the vent valve on the tank, which goes down under the bed up to a clean/dry area, functioning as an overflow/overfill drip hose (legally required I believe altho could be wrong), as well as a vent with the 2 micron foam filter on the end of it.

Now looking back over $15k or so I've dumped into this truck, the aux tank is still in my top 3 mods, it's so nice to have!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Jim O - order yourself (you'll have to order online) some R13s elements for your filter setup. They are 2 micron, but being the 13 instead of the 12, they have more capacity and a 20gph flow instead of 10gph of the r12s. That way you'll get the flow you want and better filtration The 13's are spec'd to fit the racor 120B filter head (which is pretty much not sold anymore), which is identical to the 120A filter head. Even if you want to go ten micron, get the 13 instead of the 12, it's like twice as long!