3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

auto trans advice what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question auto trans advice what to do?

Hey everyone i have a auto trans on my 2004.5 and was going to get a smarty but i figured that that ill beef up the tranny before i get a smarty and ruin it i know if you drive with a heavy foot that will toast it with or without a chip. just wondering if anyone had any advice for me what to buy? or are there just parts that can be put in my stock one to help it?
thanks for the help

ive already searched the forum for tranny upgrades and was not satisified with was i found.(just because everyone tells me to do a search no offense)
Old 01-25-2009, 12:48 PM

How many miles do you have on truck/transmission?

What are your plans with the truck?

Are you trying to get big HP out of it, or just to improve the the way it drives?

These are just some of the factors that you must take into consideration...
Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 PM

As Megacabdad said. Figure out what you want to do with your truck,add a few horsepower for future mods you don't think you want to do now(you will later), & call Gorend Bro's. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM

well it has almost 72,000 miles with an airaid intake, 4" mbrp exhaust, 3:73 gear

im almost positive(no carfacts report) the trans was never broke or beefed up

my future plans are the smarty jr pod, maby some wheels and tires nothing major i wont lift it. i never pull with my truck but the previous owner had horse trailers and it had a 5th wheel in it.
i just want the power with the assurance that if i want to get on it i can be care free with the tranny.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by megacabdad
How many miles do you have on truck/transmission?

What are your plans with the truck?

Are you trying to get big HP out of it, or just to improve the the way it drives?

These are just some of the factors that you must take into consideration...
x2. I will say this...build the trans for whatever future mods MAY be. I say that meaning if you think, maybe, one day, youd like to get it to 700hp, then build the trans to take 800+. You may not need it now, or even later, but atleast if you decide to go big, you dont need to do the trans again. Its cheaper to do it right once than proggressively upgrading it two or three times as power increases...my opinion of course

Some guys say they cant afford one right now, so they skimp. Ok, thats possibly a valid point. But when that trans ya just built goes out in a year or less, and you have to buld it again and possibly upgrade it, did ya really save anything??
Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree with what DTR Member 'strokeThis_'07 has told you.

Build it up for the maximum horespower and torque you think you are going to want and then you won't have to go back in there later. As the Members have already told you, there are alot of good aftermarket transmission companies out there now. Pick a shop that is close to you where if you do have a problem you can deal with them directly.

Good luck.

---------
John_P
Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 PM
KKB

Give Dave Goerend a call he will ask you what you want to do with your truck and he will then tell you what to do with your tranny. He won't oversell you stuff and he won't undersell you. There is no point in going billet everything for a ton of money if the only thing you want is a Smarty.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:55 PM

TQ, VB IN PUT SHAFT and Deep Pan should do you. That will get you to 400-450 hp.