3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Auto Meter Gauge Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Meter Gauge Recommendations

I have an 05 3500 with the 48RE trans. Recently ordered a three gauge A-post with an EGT Pyro, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges. I am looking for recommendations / ideas of installing the sensors. I plan to install the Pyro pre turbo. I've heard about drilling and tapping the trans pan for the trans temp, but was hoping there was a better way. What are the recommendations fror the boost gauge? I contacted Auto Meterand they were not able to provide any vehicle specific directions. Andy help would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:54 AM

Contact Mass Diesel (http://www.massdiesel.com) for a replacement transmission cooler line that has an 1/8"NPT port for your temp sensor. As for the boost gauge, you can either get a boost bolt (should be available from wherever you purchased your gauges), which will replace one of your intake manifold bolts. It has a large head that's tapped for 1/8"NPT, so you can hook up a compression fitting for your tubing.

Alternatively, it's pretty easy to remove your intake horn (the gray square-ish tube) and drill/tap that for an 1/8" fitting. You should remove it, so you can be sure to clean out all the chips/shavings. Four bolts on the intake manifold, a bolt for the oil dipstick, a couple of nuts on the back side holding some wire harness tabs, and the T-bolt clamp holding the rubber hose on.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:02 AM

Thanks Tom488,
Finished the install yesterday and all went well. I ordered and installed the trans line from MassDeisel for the trans temp sensor. Although it added another $100 to ther project it was one less hole to drill. Other than a small leak which was quickly taken care of it turned out well.
The Intake was drilled and tapped for the boost gauge without a problem. I do not plan on installing a chip or programmer on this truck so I installed the pyro sensor post turbo on the cast iron elbo just after the turbo. Removal of the elbow was a snap, but getting it back in took a little more time.
The A Post gauge pod I bought was a full length post so I didn't need to hack up my factory one, and it came grey so no painting required. The gauges were a perfect fit. With out tape, clamps, etc. they are a very snug fit.
Thanks to everyone for all the posts on this subject in the past, I went into this project with confidence and it turned out well.