3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aurora Plus 5K, which turbo for stocker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aurora Plus 5K, which turbo for stocker replacement

Hell all,

As the subject says, can someone tell me what is a good direct bolt on Turbo replacement for my stocker with the primary Aurora 5k.. I want a direct bolt on HE351CW replacement. I don't want to make any changes to my current piping to the primary. My main goal is to relieve the higher DP's the 9cm exhaust has. Is there a 63/68/14 that will swap out with my stocker he351? Or a better choice?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR/TapTalk
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Noop, not that I know of. The piping will need to be changed.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:19 PM

What about fleeces hybrid HE351?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Might want to call them, read they do them in 9 and heard in 16. Problem is most cases when you go up in size the exhaust housing gets taller and longer so it won't fit the exact same. Of course unless you get the tricked out 9.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Might want to call them, read they do them in 9 and heard in 16. Problem is most cases when you go up in size the exhaust housing gets taller and longer so it won't fit the exact same. Of course unless you get the tricked out 9.
Thanks that is the answer I was looking for.. Guess I'll have to stick with my current set up.. I should stay with it anyway, it really does work fine..

Semper Fi Rye.. I also am a former Marine.. Retired from the Marine Corps Shooting Team Quantico, VA after 22 Years of fun and games in 2002
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just take the exhaust housing off and port the crap out of the wastegate. This will help alot.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Just take the exhaust housing off and port the crap out of the wastegate. This will help alot.
Yeah, I been there done that, I even polished and ported the exhaust side..

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...ml#post5030840
Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always been curious about the Aurora 5k added to the stock HE351. Did you do the install yourself, if so how was it? How do you like it, what are your EGT's, max boost, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
I've always been curious about the Aurora 5k added to the stock HE351. Did you do the install yourself, if so how was it? How do you like it, what are your EGT's, max boost, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Yes, I did the install myself.. Its pretty straight forward and took a day.

It's not hard just time consuming, the hardest part I had was mounting the two bottom center manifold bolts.. I was trying to use hex head nuts, but they supplied Allen heads because of limited clearance, and the instructions do not cover things like that in detail.. If ya do get one and install it yourself ensure you use two temporary studs on the head to hang the manifold from until you get a few bolts in..

Its a great! towing set up and I would say a good/fun moderate street performance set up.. When set up right (turbo's tuned properly by the waste gate settings).. It's fast spooling, cool egt's and can produce 70+lbs. of boost (Heads studs are a must @ those boost numbers) depending on fueling/tuning.. The down side of this set up is the OEM turbo's restrictive 9cm exhaust housing drives the drive pressures up when fueling it hard.. Yet you have a lot of control depending on how you adjust the waste gate on the top charger.. But, remember it's a towing set up not for full out racing.. If I was to go ATS again I would do the 3K/5k because of the larger exhaust housing on the 3K..

See the attached link/video.. I was driving down the high way and at the end of the video the Speedo was buried.. Note the drive pressure pegged 100psi (not good) when I pushed it to its max WOT.. But cruzing DP's where acceptable and in check (pause the video to see gauges, temps etc. etc.), read the info below the video for gauge info and the gauges are sideways.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh-dE...ature=youtu.be

I'm sure there is better set ups out there for a cheaper price, at the time I didn't know what I know now.. You should ask the guys with more experience in the turbo department.. ATS 3k/5k is dependable and good quality, just more bang for the buck else where I'm sure..

Hope that helps..
Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent review! Thanks for the info!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rlawless
Thanks that is the answer I was looking for.. Guess I'll have to stick with my current set up.. I should stay with it anyway, it really does work fine..

Semper Fi Rye.. I also am a former Marine.. Retired from the Marine Corps Shooting Team Quantico, VA after 22 Years of fun and games in 2002
Semper Fi brother. My grandfather retired from Quantico as a Master Gunnery Sergeant, and I was born at the Naval Hospital that doesn't exist anymore. Thank you for your service.