3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

ATS Lockup controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS Lockup controller

I would like to hear from guys who have this controller, and how they like it. I put one on my truck at the reccomendation of my local performance expert, and I have an understanding of what it does, but I could use some input from guys with real world experiences with it
Does it keep your trans temp down?
Does it help keep your trans from slippage?
Does it raise tranny temps?

Any input will be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:31 PM

Well I cant give you any input but I am thinking of ordering one very soon.

I have the ATS converter and Billet Flexplate.

This combo is so stiff that when going into overdrive with the torque converter locked up , my truck will "trailer hitch" move foward then backward.

I was told that having the ability to lockup the torque converter after 4th at a higher speed will eliminate this condition

So I will be reporting to you after I have installed the controller !
Old 07-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Banned

It will help keep your trans temps down and it will help the tranny not to slip. Also, make sure it's disengaged when coming to a stop so that way the truck doesn't die on you. The lockup switch basically converts your automatic to a stick by directly linking the engine to the trans. No fluid coupling.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
SLEDHEAD:

I have the "ATS Commander Lock-Up Controller" in my 2002 Dodge CTD.

As "Big Blue" said, the unit gives you complete control over torque converter lock-up! I like mine very much and feel that it does help the transmission temperatures especially when I
am towing or drag racing. Under "normal" driving conditions I have mine set for "lock-up"
at around 45-48 MPH. When I am at the drag strip, I set the Controller to lock-up as low as
I can (about 20 MPH) so I have more of the "direct 1 to 1 ratio" Big Blue mentioned. That controller cut 1-2 tenths of second off my quarter mile times!

----------
John_P