3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

ATS or BD race twins?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ur vote goes to ats because you hold stock in it. lol j/k i have been loking at ats also but only because i live in colrado.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The main point here should be what are you looking for? Do you want a custom set built to your needs that has many configurations, turbo choices, and is easy to upgrade (MPI)? Or do you want more of a off the shelf set built for many (ATS,BD). Im not saying any of these are bad choices Im just saying you are not comparing apples to apples, and IMO its a no brainer to go MPI. For example my twins are set up for high 700-low 800s ,these used to be big numbers but these days are becoming common. I could easily change my top turbo from a 62/12/13 to 64 or 66 a get upeer 800 to 900s for a very resonable fee. Try to do that with an off the shelf kit and you are talking a whole new set up and big $$$$$$.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 PM

I got another truck recently, an 06, it will be my dedicated diesel hotrod. I will never have to tow with it or rely on it for transportation. My work location has changed from a 25 mile commute through congested traffic to 5 miles on rural roads so driving it to work shouldn't even be a problem. I am looking for 600-700 hp which seems to be in the reliable range. Reliable in the sense that I am not pushing the engine or drive-train to their structural limits and needing constant attention. This may change because as you stated these numbers are going up. I would ultimately like to be able to break into the 12s at the drag strip.
One of the things I was concerned about was cracking of the hot pipes. I was looking at BD and ATS because they used castings between the turbos. There seem to be enough people running the MPI sets without issues so that is probably not a problem whith his sets. Due to my location everything I need has to be orderd through the mail or freight. There are only a few heavy equipment repair shops and no one dealing in diesel performance I have to do all the work on my trucks myself. Finding even little things here can be hard. If something is defective and doesn't work or fit right I need to deal with someone who will be willing to work with me. Solving small issues sometimes takes months due to shipping times, MPI seems to have this covered., BD has also had good feedback, ATS ?
Fit, finish, and looks are very important to me. I like a nice looking engine and want a set that does not look cobbled together. I can only see these sets in pictures and the ATS set looked good on their web site but I haven't seen any pictures with all the pipes on. The MPI sets look real nice especially the ones with the polished housings on the HTT ss turbos, the BD sets look ok.
What are the impressions of your set so far? Thanks again for the feed back.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 PM

I've run Bd's towing and race twins (not R-700) and have no complaints.
I've driven the R-700 set on a 750Hp truck....Again nothing but good things to say.

BD's turbo engineer is very conscious of throttle response issues and tends to keep things set up nice and tight. BD turbos are very snappy and fun to drive.
One thing you need to keep this in mind when purchasing BD turbos is when it says R-700 it means 700hp...not 800hp....So keep that in mind.

I made well over 700hp with the towing twins, but they were never designed for that so yes they got hot.
My buddy running the R-700 (dynod 750hp) regularly tows 15-16000 pounds with no heat problems.

I have nothing but respect for Nathan and his turbo sets. For an all out race set they seem to be the ones to beat. Nathan's workmanship is first class....So is he.

I have no experience with his smaller sets so can not comment.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 AM
O.T

You have some good choices.

I ran BD turbo's, started with the towing set- good for 575hp. Cooled well, spooled real well, performed and fit was good.
Stepped up to the race set, secondary is the super B off the towing twins and the primary is a modified version of a S400. This rated for 700. Again performed, spooled, fit nicely.
Decided to try a whole new avenue and went to the HTT, MPI twins. The set I currently have on the shelf are good for 900hp on fuel. Fit, finish, service, attention to detail, experience, performance*-* top shelf.

Clean, here's an image.
Attached Thumbnails ATS or BD race twins?-new-twins-003.jpg  
Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 AM

That there is a nice looking engine! Can the ATS exhaust manifolds be ordered ceramic coated? Is the piping powder coated or ceramic coated also?
Old 05-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The manifold can be ceramic coated, the pipes are powdercoated to your color choice. Now what onetun did to his Im not sure, he has a very nice truck with a good combo of performance and bling parts.
You also mentiond a concern about cracking hot pipes and going with a cast set up. I will say some of the highest hp/ boost pumping trucks both Cummins and Duramax are running Nathans set ups and I have never heard of a problem. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:14 PM
O.T

You can have the manifold ceramic coated and then polished. I'm in the rebuild stage and may change the colors,.,
Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 PM

Do they coat the inside also? I know they do that on some manifolds to keep the heat out of the engine compartments but that would also help keep the heat energy in the exhaust. I don't know if the coating can flake off and go through the tubo or at least I have not heard of it happening, otherwise it seems like a reasonable idea.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 PM

does my vote count??? MPI nuff said.

Nathan can also get you F-1 goodies.

Rob, holy "Bling"

who's BD, ATS???