3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

ARP Retorque Advice/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARP Retorque Advice/Opinions

OK...I know its long over due...but here is the situation.

1500 miles on my truck since I got everything back together...I have not run it hard...1/2 throttle...50 psi max boost.

I have time (finally!) and am not banged up physically at the moment...and the dyno day is getting near...so I need to retorque my ARP 12mm's...

Back them all off...and follow the original 4 step torque sequence to 125?

or

Do one at a time so as to not release the headgasket? What order then?

I am assuming I will relube the nuts/washers with ARP lube...and double check to make sure the stud is not bottomed out in the hole...

Experts out there...let me have it! I am chomping at the bit to let the fuel roll now...cause it seems liek I have SO much of it...lol.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:57 AM

I'm not an expert by any means, but according to the installation instructions I received from ARP, they state that after the inital installation procedure involving 4 total torquings, the bolts will not stretch anymore. After my initial install following the directions below, I drove aproximately 600 miles hitting 55psi numerous times. I rechecked the torque on my studs and none had loosened up at all. If you followed the directions posted below, I can't see why you couldn't just re-check the torque without backing the nuts off. At any rate, I can't see loosening up all the nuts at the same time. I'm sure others will chime with different ideas. Re lubing the upper threads, nuts and washers would probably be a good idea if you back the nuts off.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...spics018-1.jpg
Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM

Follow the original sequence and loosen one bolt at a time, re-lube, and torque to 125. Good luck at the dyno day!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM

Thanks...I thought that would make the most sense...

Any wagers on what I am going to roll? I got my work cut out for me...but I should be able to match llyod if I get my electronics right where I want them.

750 will make daddy happy!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM

I'd like to ride in your pickup cquestad. Have you towed with it? Im about to go the same route with the twins, and Im a bit nervous about the heavy loads.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Lol...I think that is all cquestad does is tow! If you go the same route as he has I am sure you won't be disappointed
Old 08-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Thanks...I thought that would make the most sense...

Any wagers on what I am going to roll? I got my work cut out for me...but I should be able to match llyod if I get my electronics right where I want them.

750 will make daddy happy!
I would love to see you over 750!! You should be well over 700 unless you can't hook up on the dyno.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Tows just fine...better than fine...tows real fast!

37x13.5's XAT's stick...stick real good. I have not had any slipping issues in the past...but that was at 575...
Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 AM

You will not need to re-lube. Just back off one at a time in sequence about a half to 3/4 turn and re- torque it. Just don't back off too much that you can't pull the TQ wrench till it clicks without stopping. Or letting up on the pressure or "speed" you are turning the nut. That will allow it to "grab" and give you a false "click" on your TQ wrench.Keep in mind it takes more torque to tighten a bolt/nut from a dead stop than it does to get it there in a smooth swing. If you don't believe me just try it on something you can see clearly. Torque something down in a bench vise or whatever and mark the bolt head and the surface with a scribe. Then back it off and torque it again not using a smooth steady pull. You'll see the bolt will not make it to your first scribe mark but the TQ wrench will click the same as if it is actually torqued the same. I usually do this each time I origionally torque a head anyway, like re-torquing one at a time after the final torque in sequence. I do this because then the entire head is "squashed" down and each bolt isn't being used to "squash" it down individually.You can even see this if you scribe the first bolt you torque in the center of head and then after all the others are torqued loosen the center bolt a little and re-torque it to the same ft.lbs. You'll see your past your original mark.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 PM

So...here is a fun task!

It was almost 100 degrees yesterday...got out of the shop late and by the time I got home had only 2 hours or so to work on the truck...HOT.

Try pulling valve covers, rockers, etc to get to your head studs when your engine compartment and every piece of metal is still 200 plus degrees...LOL.

My rockers melted the plastic bags I put them in. So...nicely put...I will spending tonight retorquing, reassembly, and relashing.

Arrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I really wonder if I am going to be ready for the dyno on the 18th...maybe I will just go the next day and have an hour or two to myself...so I can run multiple Smarty settings.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
So...here is a fun task!

It was almost 100 degrees yesterday...got out of the shop late and by the time I got home had only 2 hours or so to work on the truck...HOT.

Try pulling valve covers, rockers, etc to get to your head studs when your engine compartment and every piece of metal is still 200 plus degrees...LOL.

My rockers melted the plastic bags I put them in. So...nicely put...I will spending tonight retorquing, reassembly, and relashing.

Arrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I really wonder if I am going to be ready for the dyno on the 18th...maybe I will just go the next day and have an hour or two to myself...so I can run multiple Smarty settings.
Sounds like fun.

Can't wait to see the results!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 AM

I think I need to calibrate my torque wrench...how?

Busted up my 12 point 14mm halfway through the job...and messed up one nut. Was able to red neck it with a box end cheated with a 1 1/4" box end and matched effort to one of the studs I had allready torqued...but what a pain. I guess I will slow down and put a new nut on tonight after I go over to Nathan's and sort through his scrap pile.

It is amazing how much paitence I have lost due to a few personal/relationship issues lately...it is affecting my wrenching!

To be continued...