3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

ARGHH!! Codes are back!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARGHH!! Codes are back!!

Well, I got about three months with no codes but the Low Boost Codes have started coming back. This truck should be used by every performance product company out there in testing their stuff because I have not put one thing on here yet that has not caused me issues. The strange thing is that everything I have pulled off and sold has worked fine for other guys with similar trucks! I know most of these issues stem from the electronic solonoid for the wastegate but I just can't figure it out. I'm going back to completely stock! The Predator is off and the turbo is coming off next. I can't deal with this crap anymore. I don't even drive fast anyways so it's all a waste. You guys keep building your trucks up and have fun. As for me, you can now refer to me as STOCKZILLA!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 AM
HOV

Hey man, sorry to hear it's working out for you like that.

I'd like to go back to stock also, but my TC lugs the engine so badly with stock power it's hard to drive around, so I have no choice but to juice it up a little.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Chapter President

Have you tried a Smarty at all?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So ..... even leaving the stock wastegate actuator on it didn't work? I'd maybe take the boost fooler off. If you are running lower boost becasue of a higher volume with the larger turbo, the fooler may be doing an injustice! Other than that, what are the actual boost readings?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 AM

Nope! There are others that have experienced the same issue w/ the Smarty too. Mine just seems to be worse than everybody elses. It's like the truck is possessed and fighting me everytime I try to make more power. It seems like it's just some 06s and 07s that do this.....
Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm, where is the Turbo going exactly?

PM me.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Nope! There are others that have experienced the same issue w/ the Smarty too. Mine just seems to be worse than everybody elses. It's like the truck is possessed and fighting me everytime I try to make more power. It seems like it's just some 06s and 07s that do this.....
Try the Smarty anyway, who cares if other trucks did the same, other trucks also worked just fine w/ the mods you sold them right?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:05 AM

Yes. I currently have the factory solonoid hooked up but laying on the fenderwell.
My issue is never while driving. It is always upon startup. Max boost on the Extreme setting of the Predator was around 40-41 psi. On the Extreme RKL tune it went as high as 45 psi..The truck runs great when it's working right. But when you get that low boost code you go into limp mode and make no power at all.....
Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

What was the boost when the code sets? Or somewhere close? I'm wondering if you need to fool it up!? Surely a variable resistor and a scan tool can read what it is seeing, and adjust it with the variable resistor to read where it should be with stock type turbo. I know you've been working at it for awhile now, and it'd be nice to see you get it figured out!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 AM

Obviously by going back to the stock turbo and stock wastegate your code problems will end, then maybe you can use the Smarty without issues. You are right about some trucks just not being able to take mods and others do just fine, make you wonder, eh?

Sorry you got a picky one, but maybe in the long run it will be better in the overall. I am running my truck stock, outside of a few air intake mods and exhaust mod ME pipe, the engine/computer are untouched. I had some code problems at startup a few times, seems as though the latest flash upgrades from Dodge solved them as they have not come back. Have you gone in the dealership and had them upgrade your truck? It may be having that done would solve your problems, it has for some with the picky startup issues.

CD
Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I dont like the dealerships but the one in Chantilly may help.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 AM

There is no boost on startup which is the only time this happens. VZDude, I have no idea how to check any of those things you mentioned. I'm no electronics guy.
My truck has not been to the dealership for anything since I got it because the only issues I have had are those directly associated with my performance adders. If I pull the turbo off then the Predator works just fine. The funny thing is that I had this turbo on here for quite a while with no codes until I put the DL on. Now, I even get them with the Predator off the truck. Maybe it doesn't put exactly the stock program back in when you take it off.....
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Chapter President

I am still thinking you should try a smarty. If for no other reason than to get the latest DC flash on your truck. Then go from there.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

This is kinda what I'm thinking. The downloader changed what the computer is expecting to see compared to stockand some of the values didn't get back to "factory" settings. Are there any updates for your downloader? It might be worth downloading an update for the DL and then put it back to stock again. What code exactly does it set? There may be a TSB with a flash update available to fix that. It would have to go to the dealer though Do you have access to any kind of scanner? Not just a code reader, I'll need some datas stream values. Also....the scanner will have to be CAN capable. Some of the parts stores have them for loaner tools. Don't know if they are CAN capable though.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM

Hey TIMEOUT!!!

Before you take all that stuff off let me send you one of thenew X2 boxes and see if it has the same issue??

I bet the new one does not have any of the issues you had with the older one.

Quick Reply: ARGHH!! Codes are back!!