3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

ARB 9.25 Front Locker Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-22-2007, 03:38 PM

I'd rather airlines on a diff that is made for the truck than wires to a jury rigged setup where you have to weld on the outside of the diff to maintain the same strength as stock.
Justin, Looks great...good luck on the first hook with it. ks
Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 PM

Kerry,
Thanks, I'll need it!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by abc4yew
I'd rather airlines on a diff that is made for the truck than wires to a jury rigged setup where you have to weld on the outside of the diff to maintain the same strength as stock.
Justin, Looks great...good luck on the first hook with it. ks
I'm not sure what your talking about. Having installed an Eaton E-locker it was pretty simple. Took about 15min of grinding and the wires pass through just like the air line in the above pic. As far as welding on the outside of the diff to maintain strength I have no idea what your talking about, and I have a strong feeling neither do you. However I see your point, who'd want screw around with 2 wires and a push button when they could have all those neat switches and relays and a noisy compressor.

I'm not knocking the ARB or Justins decision to go with it. ARB builds some nice stuff, but to call the Eaton a "jury rigged setup" shows some ignorance on your part.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:07 PM

Hi Jfaulkner,

I don’t know what I’m talking about, however from reading on here I was under the impression that the Eaton E-locker was designed for the AAM 9.5 dif in one of the GM applications. (The GM case is different from ours.)

Some people say that the Eaton E-locker doesn’t quite fit in the Dodge case without grinding on it a bit. How much is “a bit”? 15-min isn’t bad, but some say they had to grind all the way through the case. Obviously no two differential cases are exactly a like (tolerances and what not).

If I knew I cold install the Eaton unit I’d jump on it, however what I’ve been reading makes me nervous.

Jfaulkner, can you elaborate on your installation process?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Jfalkner, In 15 minutes I could grind both differentials off your truck. How thick is the case where you had to grind....was it above or below the fluid level... Several people on here installed them and have found the case when measured was so thin that they either were and had welded the case to ensure it didn't lose any strength. I'm sure your set up will last fine... Apparently there is much more room on a 4.10 than on a 3.73 ring gear ratio. Anyway....I personally would gladly take an ARB over an E-locker anyday of the week...I have a compressor for my exhaust brake so T'ing in a line to the Diff ain't a biggy. This is a mod that I definitely am going to do. From what I've read....I'm willing to wait for something better than the E-locker and ARB has an outstanding offroad reputation. If Eaton had an exact drop in that was designed specifically for our trucks and had a good track record ... I'd be first in line. Heck it might still be a good option. On paper, right now....the ARB looks better to me. ks
Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by mitternocht
Hi Jfaulkner,

I don’t know what I’m talking about, however from reading on here I was under the impression that the Eaton E-locker was designed for the AAM 9.5 dif in one of the GM applications. (The GM case is different from ours.)

Some people say that the Eaton E-locker doesn’t quite fit in the Dodge case without grinding on it a bit. How much is “a bit”? 15-min isn’t bad, but some say they had to grind all the way through the case. Obviously no two differential cases are exactly a like (tolerances and what not).

If I knew I cold install the Eaton unit I’d jump on it, however what I’ve been reading makes me nervous.

Jfaulkner, can you elaborate on your installation process?
The axle is laying on the shop floor so if the locker is removed I'll take some pics. However he'd like to sell it with the locker so I doubt it will be removed unless whoever buys it doesn't want the 4:10 ratio. Your only removing enough material in order for the magnetic ring to clear. I'd guess that in the worst case you'd need to remove 1/8" from the thickest part of the housing. Honestly it took longer to set the lash than to get the locker to fit. The "grind all the way through the housing" is a gross exageration or someone who couldn't run a grinder or didn't trial fit first. If you want "Bolt on" then go with the ARB however if your price shopping the Eaton is cheaper (at least it used to be but pulling season raises demand) and both accomplish the same goal.