3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Approaching dealer about mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Approaching dealer about mods?

I am about to start adding performance items to my truck, but I would first like to confront my dealer, on how they feel about these type of mods.

I don't wont to throw up a red flag, and have them know that my truck will be modded, just incase they say no to the mods, and I have to remove them for warranty service.

I hope you all understand what I am asking, any advise is much appreciated.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:30 PM

Should be a lot of good answers but you might try asking them what they would charge to install the _______________.

This way they would tell you they don't do that due to warranty issues or they can give you a price and you will know what kind of deal you are getting if you go elsewhere.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:08 PM

i know it would cost more, but if you CAN get a dealer to install the mod's, by all means do it. BE SURE and save receipts!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:37 PM

I think I will just call the service manager, I figure if I call, they wont know who I am, or what my truck looks like.

I have unfortunately already bought the upgrades, but I guess I could try and have them installed by the dealer.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:03 PM

This whole thing of BOMBing and warranty is a real crap shoot. Just because you approach one dealer on one day doesn't really mean a thing. First of all who's to say that you will be needing warranty service from them, more specifically, from the one person you talked with. You move, they move, whatever, that "deal / conversation" is over.

Not to mention that you could break down or need service where ever you and your truck are, not necessarily where they are.

Etc. etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line, you mod it and you need to say these words over and over:

I am my own warranty station.

Matt
Old 08-30-2004, 10:56 AM

Re: Approaching dealer about mods?

Originally posted by Thirsty600
I am about to start adding performance items to my truck, but I would first like to confront my dealer, on how they feel about these type of mods.

I don't wont to throw up a red flag, and have them know that my truck will be modded, just incase they say no to the mods, and I have to remove them for warranty service.

I hope you all understand what I am asking, any advise is much appreciated.
Open ended questions are generally the best. For instance,..."What performance modifications will you support with warranty"? And, "would it make a difference if you installed the modifications."

That way the red flag doesn't come up and you know exactly where you stand.

With a similar querie to my dealer last week I found that they will support with warranty the FASS unit. It kind of surprised me. But now I know and don't have to guess and further I don't have to have it installed by them for them to not mess with my warranty. That's piece of mind.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:54 PM

I asked my service manager today, he says that if I have a tranny problem that they will not cover it, other that that its ok, so they say......

He also told me that they are picking up on boxes, by checking boost pressure history.