3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

For ANYONE who wants to do a camera w/ stock head unit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation For ANYONE who wants to do a camera w/ stock head unit...

Just a little FYI I wanted to post for those who have 06 navigation head units with the nice display screen. This may also pertain to other models (most likely the 07's), but I only know about the 06s for sure since that is what I have. I purchased the tailgate latch "flip-kit" that simply uses your factory handle and relocates it to the inside if the truck bed. This way my Diamondback Cover, since it locks, will mean that my whole truck be is locked. The flat plate that goes into the area where your handle was can be molded (as I am having done) by a body-shop and painted so that it looks like there was never a handle in the tailgate at all. Instead of having it entirely disappear, I am having my Hitchcam camera molded into the plate and angled so that it will show me where my bumper and hitch are so that I do not take out any car hoods.

Before my aftermarket head unit goes in, I want to be able to use the system with my factory unit. With aftermarket units, the camera engages everytime that Reverse is selected or you can sleect it to show all the time by changing to th camera input. However, what I found out is the "FYI" part. There is no adapter module (as there is for many vehicles like the H2) for the 2006 Dodge headunit for the camera to work. HOWEVER!!!!, the guy at Hitchcam said that if I send him my head unit, he will solder the cards on the head unit and make it such that I cam plug my camera into it and it will work! Just wanted to let people know in case they were interested in doing the same thing!

Since price is usually asked. I do not recall the camera price but believe it to be in the $250 range ($750-$800 if you get there 3" included monitor) and I have no idea what the price for his "custumization" of the head unit will be until it's done. I will have to post that later.

Hope this helps anyone who wanted to, or is thinking of, doing this mod.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 PM

That's an AWESOME idea!

I looked at the Diamondback Covers... That is a very practical cover. If it wasn't for the stacks I could get one so I could haul the ATV's on top. After you put a big 4wheeler in the back there is no room....

Let us know how it goes! (Like you always do)

Lucas
Old 12-08-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Luken
That's an AWESOME idea!

I looked at the Diamondback Covers... That is a very practical cover. If it wasn't for the stacks I could get one so I could haul the ATV's on top. After you put a big 4wheeler in the back there is no room....

Let us know how it goes! (Like you always do)

Lucas
I totally agree about the cover and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised with the build-quality, and ease-of-use. That thing is HEAVY DUTY! In fact, I opted out of the stacks fo rthe same reason you mentioned. Whilst I am sure I could have engineered something so that I could hav ethe stacks and the cover; the was NO WAY to avoid dumping tons of black smoke all over my quads!! I have "ramp champs" for the tailgate and, aside from the good point you make about having no room left, the angle is MUCH steeper than the 12' ramps that Diamondback gives you. That, and the ramps hook on, and there is an overdrive bar that makes it so that you CANNOT drive off the other side. Plus, I can carry two ATVs on my truck even though I have a shortbed because of the extension kit. Plus, it's BLACK diamondplate! Just what my truck needed!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 PM

Couple of questions....

How easy is it to take the cover off/on?

How heavy is it?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Luken
Couple of questions....

How easy is it to take the cover off/on?

How heavy is it?
Heavy enough that I was sore the next day from installing it! It weighs (all 3 pieces together) about 180 lbs. Once you put it on and understand how it all works. One person could have it off in probably 7 minutes (5 if you rushed) and have it on in about 10 (the extra time would be spent aligning it properly).
Old 12-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

D...

Not to heist your post here but we need you to enter that BadA$$$ truck into dieselPower's challenge.. I am tired of reading about how duracrap this duracrap that. We need a good old cummins a$$ kickin and takin names.... I think that you are a darn good candidate for this little contest they got going... I know that i Have heard that their magizine is a little biast towards durapad's so I think a good old Optimus Prime A$$ kicking would shut them up!!!!

Anyways just my .02!!! Still lovin the truck!! and the backup camera!!! I would be interested in this although I am going to replace my stock radio with a gps/radio/dvd player!!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
D...

Not to heist your post here but we need you to enter that BadA$$$ truck into dieselPower's challenge.. I am tired of reading about how duracrap this duracrap that. We need a good old cummins a$$ kickin and takin names.... I think that you are a darn good candidate for this little contest they got going... I know that i Have heard that their magizine is a little biast towards durapad's so I think a good old Optimus Prime A$$ kicking would shut them up!!!!

Anyways just my .02!!! Still lovin the truck!! and the backup camera!!! I would be interested in this although I am going to replace my stock radio with a gps/radio/dvd player!!!!
That's why I figured this would not apply to most since most who do cameras also do aftermarket head units; I just can't wait that long because I have not yet planned out my system.

How do you enter into that Diesel Power Challenge?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:12 PM

thers a shop by me that when u send them your 06 nav unit they will make it able to hook up a dvd player and when u put in rev it will automat switch to the cam
Old 12-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by irocin350
thers a shop by me that when u send them your 06 nav unit they will make it able to hook up a dvd player and when u put in rev it will automat switch to the cam
Please don't tell me it is Unique Autosport!!