3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anyone using FASS / Air Dog in -20*F environment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS and fuel question

The FASS and it's filters sit inside the frame rail,...don't they? That shuld be pretty safe even for an off roader. Also a fuel pressure geek engineer brought up a good point a week or so ago,...it was the flip side to AKRAMs situation where he was looking for wayts to keep his fuel warm for xtreme cold weather usage,...this guy was advocating keeping it cool as in 100* being the optimum, his input....) and suggested using a fuel cooling system (whatever that is,... when ambient temperatures are a bit too warm to insure maximum fuel performance. I PM'd that guy for a source on fuel coolers and nothing back. Does anyone know of such an animal, ...where at,...and how much? Opinions????
Old 06-28-2004, 09:45 AM
The Guru

I'm not worried about the filters. A couple rocks have hit the filters from my tires. My issue is running 1/2in coolant lines under the truck. There trees and rocks on the roads that I drive over. Even a coolant leak would ruin my day. I never had much of an issue at temps below -20deg F so why bother with the coolant lines. Just another thing to cause my engine to fail. I have driven the Fass in -30 and 100 deg F ambient and only had the one hard start, so I've been pretty happy with my pump. I've also had a hydralic shop make up my lines cause I hate leaks and I used 1/2 hose as I will be at the upper limits of the Fass HP capacity once I get big hp injectors installed.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:58 AM

The FASS and it's filters sit inside the frame rail,...don't they?
Nope - outside.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:15 PM

FASS

Originally posted by Tom488
Nope - outside.
Sounds like a heavy sheet metal shield is in order.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mike Holmen
I never had much of an issue at temps below -20deg F so why bother with the coolant lines. Just another thing to cause my engine to fail. I have driven the Fass in -30 and 100 deg F ambient and only had the one hard start, so I've been pretty happy with my pump.
Mike, did you install one of the kits that eliminated the stock filter and fuel heater or is the stock heater still plumped in? If the stock heater is gone, your saying you haven't had any issues with the engine running at -30 with no fuel heater.....aside from filter waxing, which apparently hasn't been a problem for you either. Correct?

Brian