3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

anyone try acetone in fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh, yes - the sulfonated stuff (read the MSDS) should be really good to add to Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel, which is formulated according to law by EPA mandate.

No way, hoser - we even specify low-ash 2-stroke oil additive to prevent conflict at the state inspection stations..............

BTW - really good idea on the acetone ixnay, tho.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by JohnInNH
I would not... For something that really works check out this post. Why risk

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=158657

I think acetone would be bad for your truck.... Why risk it!
that stuff is pretty pricey,for a 100 bucks a gallon you could get a lot of acetone{if it was proven to work}.do you have any reports on the stuff?i read your link to where you posted here but no replys yet.have to wait and see i guess.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Muted User

I'll say this again: Fuel in the fuel tank, oil in the oil pan. Acetone is an adhesive dissolver, a darn good one. It also melts certain types of plastic. (I spilled some on a remote contol and I put my thumb through the side trying to save it) I can't see how it would do your truck ANY favors since there is alot of plastic in contact with the fuel. You might as well try peeing in the tank, you'll get the same fuel milage increase and it doesn't cost as much as acetone.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if there is a rail coating and it does melt from acetone..would this be a good idea????
I don't know if there is or is not a rail coating but if there is acetone in a fuel tank would be slowly taking life off your rail. I will stick to lubes myself...acetone is so hard on seals and very dry....
Old 07-07-2007, 06:12 PM

I do not mean to be rude but i have to question the math ability of folks claiming 20+ on these trucks. I am on my third one and 15-16 is the best i have ever seen
Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by herb
I do not mean to be rude but i have to question the math ability of folks claiming 20+ on these trucks. I am on my third one and 15-16 is the best i have ever seen
me too....like I always say..... round up!!!
I'm in the 15-16 club..but it does not bother me, if I wanted MPG's I would drive a Honda
Old 07-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by herb
My truck gets 22+ depinding on how I drive. Now that being said till the truck got around 40k on it it was around 16 to 18mpg. But almost over night she jumped up to the 20s. So it seemed. On the subject of fuel additives, I have been using schaffers (sp). Diesel Treat for the last 1800gal and I deff noticed a increase in mpg. Anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 miles improvment. On the interstate with the cruze on 75 she gets 22mpg all day long.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine gets about 200 MPG every time I take my foot off the loud pedal on the highway. But then I have to step on it again and the mileage goes back to normal. It's not easy to AVERAGE over 20 MPG. Especially under less than ideal conditions. All these high mileage reports are a little far fetched.

John
Old 07-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Diesel fuel is oil, but not good for the crankcase sump - 2-stroke ashless is heavier oil, is good for the fuel tank...............
Old 07-07-2007, 09:15 PM

The best I've ever seen on my truck was 20.6. That was on the highway averaging 65-70 mph. Do I see that on average? Heck no. With a mix of highway and mostly city driving I usually see 15-17.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This mileage thing has been asked about and reported on, over and over. Some of the reported mileage just seems far fetched.

I think it wouild be really cool to do a "DTR Mileage Run". We could get a bunch of trucks together, meet at a fuel station, and fill them all to the top. Then all drive a prescribed route, single file, and arrive back at the station where we would fill up again and hand calculate the mileage. We'd keep track of who got what. Then, except for the minor differences in driving style, we'd have a good record of what was what. The more trucks the better. 1st gen, 3rd gen with tires, 2nd gen with exhaust, 12 valves, Smarty, etc, etc.

This test could then be compared with wild numbers that get reported to see what differences were made to the trucks, or the route, or whatever to see if someone had come up with a mileage improvement through additives, camshafts, turbos, or whatever. Then that person could drive the test route to "prove" his claims.

We might be able to start improving the mileage numbers for everyone through proven improvements and we could weed out the BS.

What do you guys think?

John
Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Talking

im in,sounds like a good plan,everyne fill up at the same station and use whatever additive theywant and go,hey what are diesel prices in ur area?you may not want to meet in canada where i am disel is over a buck a liter which is like 4 bucks agallon to u guys eeeeeeeeek,thats why i want the 25 and up mpgs some guys claim, my dad has an03 sb 6spd and he calims over 24 too and how he caluclates is he fills up drives with an egg under the go pedal and drives maybe 100 miles then fills up again and says wow i got 24 milespg .i said do it per tank on all conditions and well hes stuborn and still says he gets 24 no mater what i tell him,i get 19-20 and im happy with that.but i love the get together idea
Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
I'll say this again: Fuel in the fuel tank, oil in the oil pan. Acetone is an adhesive dissolver, a darn good one. It also melts certain types of plastic. (I spilled some on a remote contol and I put my thumb through the side trying to save it) I can't see how it would do your truck ANY favors since there is alot of plastic in contact with the fuel. You might as well try peeing in the tank, you'll get the same fuel milage increase and it doesn't cost as much as acetone.
the mix in the tank is very very diluted,sure pure actone may eat plastic but acetone mixed at like 500-1 isnt likely to eat anything,the reading i did on acetone said mix at 1 ounce per 10 gallons,so its prety diluted,i notice a dif on my gas stuff.{ride em mower and quads and such}
Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We ran a custom blended PS/acetone mix in the '05 for a while with some tiny but consistent mpg improvements, but the extra trouble wasn't worth the gain... nothing but silver PS for the last year!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Chapter President

If someone calls me a liar about the fuel mileage i have posted, I invite them to a MSDTR Chapter meeting and we can do a milage test if you want!!!! I personally crack 850mi. per tank fairly often. And once, came real close to 900mi. an a stock tank. 23-24mpg at 65-70mph constant freeway is easy for me. Even better, towing my Jeep Cherokee i regularly get 15-18mpg.

See this link describing my max fuel economy testing procedures all testing was done unloaded of course: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=800+mile+club

Quick Reply: anyone try acetone in fuel???