3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anyone tow with race Quadzilla?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tow with race Quadzilla?

Finaly installed my standard box. I like it, but can't get the rear 4 tires to break free. However if the road is wet I can break them free all the way THROUGH 5th gear.

When I bought my box, I was undecided on which one to buy. I chose the standard version because I was worried about my egt's since I tow alot.
I also thought that 100 hp was plenty. Well that wore off pretty quickly.
Now I am thinking that I should go race version.

I read that I can send my box in and have it reprogrammed, is this true. Are the wire hook ups the same ? I thought I heard that the race version had extra wires or something ?
Anybody out there running the race box AND tow alot ? Hows the EGT's on the 60 setting ?
I haven't had my standard on 60 enough while towing to get a good feel for numbers.

I also read that the race version is more aggressive on the 60 and 100 settings than the standard box. Is it more low end ? I think I could use as little more low end on this. It may be that my turbo is lagging alot, but it feels like just as the truck pulls hard I have to shift.
Any and all input greatly appreciated. (especially from you qzilla)

Thanks, Dan

P.S. I am VERY impressed with the quality of this box. It's not that often that you get good quality, good looks, great performance and easy installation at a reasonable price. Can't say enough good about this box. Ya need some bigger stickers though so I can intimidate those Fords better.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:58 PM

Re: Anyone tow with race Quadzilla?

Originally posted by Checkmate
Finaly installed my standard box. I like it, but can't get the rear 4 tires to break free. However if the road is wet I can break them free all the way THROUGH 5th gear.

When I bought my box, I was undecided on which one to buy. I chose the standard version because I was worried about my egt's since I tow alot.
I also thought that 100 hp was plenty. Well that wore off pretty quickly.
Now I am thinking that I should go race version.

I read that I can send my box in and have it reprogrammed, is this true. Are the wire hook ups the same ? I thought I heard that the race version had extra wires or something ?
Anybody out there running the race box AND tow alot ? Hows the EGT's on the 60 setting ?
I haven't had my standard on 60 enough while towing to get a good feel for numbers.

I also read that the race version is more aggressive on the 60 and 100 settings than the standard box. Is it more low end ? I think I could use as little more low end on this. It may be that my turbo is lagging alot, but it feels like just as the truck pulls hard I have to shift.
Any and all input greatly appreciated. (especially from you qzilla)

Thanks, Dan

P.S. I am VERY impressed with the quality of this box. It's not that often that you get good quality, good looks, great performance and easy installation at a reasonable price. Can't say enough good about this box. Ya need some bigger stickers though so I can intimidate those Fords better.
I am installing the quad race box on my 2004 this coming monday.I will give you a update on how she runs and egt,s.coobie
Old 04-22-2005, 09:26 PM

Checkmate, maybe I am misunderstanding your question but it doesn't matter which version of box you have, the high settings are not designed for towing with a stock rig. As far as EGT's go, again, doesn't matter which box you have. In other words, if you set your standard version box on 100hp, or set a Race version box on the 100hp setting, EGT's will be the same - same amount of fuel. That is why I ordered the Race version. IMHO, there really is no purpose for the 30hp setting on the standard box - you really won't notice any difference. But the High setting on the Race version can be used for "playing" as long as you drive by your gauges.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:03 AM

I agree with GREENZ. Get the Race version if you want to play but you shouldn't tow on the high settings. The 60hp setting should be all you need. I towed my 10,000lb trailer with my 70hp EZ with ease. I'll be towing the trailer next weekend and I will use the 60hp setting and I'm sure it will do fine.
I believe the answer is YES you can send your box in to get reflashed to 140hp...
Old 04-23-2005, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by GreenZ
Checkmate, maybe I am misunderstanding your question but it doesn't matter which version of box you have, the high settings are not designed for towing with a stock rig. As far as EGT's go, again, doesn't matter which box you have. In other words, if you set your standard version box on 100hp, or set a Race version box on the 100hp setting, EGT's will be the same - same amount of fuel. That is why I ordered the Race version.
First of all, I have not run mine enough on the 60 hp with the trailer to tell if it is fine or not. Secondly, according to Quad, the race version is NOT the same on the 60 and 100 hp settings.
Therefore I want to make certain that if I eliminate my 30 hp setting that I will still be able to haul a load with the 60 setting safely.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Checkmate
according to Quad, the race version is NOT the same on the 60 and 100 hp settings.
Interesting. I did not know this. I don't understand why they would program boxes differently however. I would think they would have determined the most efficient programming (using duration, timing, and pressure) for a given HP rating. I hope Quad will elaborate on this point.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:06 PM

The biggest difference is the "On Demand" programming. The race boxes fuel a little harder and a little quicker, but the top end power is the same. You will be able to tow just fine 60hp setting. We are debating removing the off position on the race module and adding the 30hp setting. It is very easy to use the bypass plug if you want to run stock. We would only do this on the race version.

Any thoughts??

QUad
Old 04-23-2005, 12:32 PM

Quad, thanks for the clarification. I am glad I purchased the Race version after leaning this.

Personally, I would never use the 30hp setting, so I'll leave mine the way it is.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:52 PM

We are debating removing the off position on the race module and adding the 30hp setting. It is very easy to use the bypass plug if you want to run stock. We would only do this on the race version.
It sounds like a good idea to me. I just got the 100hp and probably will upgrade sometime in the future.

Quad,
I agree that it was very easy to connect, however I spent a long time figuring out where and how to mount the ****. I did not want to put a 7/16" hole in my dash that at some point I might have to figure a way to cover it up. So I came up with my own 90* mounting bracket. the point is, I think a mounting bracket should be included with the adjustable modules. It would give customers options on how to mount and would only make a good product better - IMO -
Old 04-23-2005, 03:35 PM

I think a bracket is an excellent idea.I will be installing mine tomorrow and I dont really want to drill a whole in my dash panels either.I will have to remove everthing when I take it to the dealer and dont need a cospicous hole in my dash.I plan on fabricating a bracket myself.Cant wait to feel the power.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Bama_boy
I think a bracket is an excellent idea.I will be installing mine tomorrow and I dont really want to drill a whole in my dash panels either.I will have to remove everthing when I take it to the dealer and dont need a cospicous hole in my dash.I plan on fabricating a bracket myself.Cant wait to feel the power.
I agree on the mounting bracket.I will be installing my new quad race box on monday.coobie
Old 04-23-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Pull U 2
Why remove the switch when going to the dealer? A rotary switch can be used for anything so the dealer can't determine that it is for a box. For all he knows you could be installing an Audio/Video system, lights, or whatever.......JMO

Yeah, but if it's not there to question, all the better. Even though I myself don't care since I have over 100,000 miles.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by qzilla
The biggest difference is the "On Demand" programming. The race boxes fuel a little harder and a little quicker, but the top end power is the same. You will be able to tow just fine 60hp setting. We are debating removing the off position on the race module and adding the 30hp setting. It is very easy to use the bypass plug if you want to run stock. We would only do this on the race version.

Any thoughts??

QUad
So if I want the race version, can I just get my standard box reprogrammed ?
Thanks, Dan
Old 04-23-2005, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
qzilla,

I set my race box on stock setting before I shutdown and dont move off the stock setting until the engine is up to normal running temperature. Keeps me from accidently over doing it on a cold engine. Just my thought.

\
Originally posted by qzilla

Any thoughts??

QUad

Quick Reply: Anyone tow with race Quadzilla?