3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anyone running a bigger turbo on a stock truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running a bigger turbo on a stock truck?

As the title says. I want to upgrade my 04.5s turbo. The truck spends most of its time empty but does do duty pulling at max wieght. So I am looking at at something that spools well/close to stock but moves good air. I am looking at the II and HTT 62 series along with the 71 series. Any input is helpful. Also exhaust housing recomendations. Searchs didnt find much on a stock truck. One day a set of noozles may be in the future but stock for now. Thanks guys.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
chw

go with II's 62 or 64 you will want the 62 if you want to tow heavy or often but you wont get the performance of a 64,if i was you i would get a 64, all around great turbo for lightly to moderately modified trucks that tow.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Banned

I would think on a totally stock computer controlled truck, you'll probably hurt performance more than you'll help it... get a programmer on there, and it's a whole different ballgame
Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the muffler first and then the turbo. It really helped the top end. Instead of falling flat at 2200 rpm, it came alive. Craig
Old 01-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I need to keep my turbo mounted exhaust brake.
I had a Quadzilla on the truck but I pulled it off a few months ago. It worked flawlessly for around 8 months. After the dealer did a flash I started having issues with the CEL. I didnt have the time to play with it so I pulled it for now. Been toying with putting it back in and seeing what the problem was. Got a little free time now.
Right now the stock muffler is straight piped with the kitty hanging on. I think that the exhaust is good to go. It definatly runs better this way. Min drone and doesnt make enough noise to **** of the neighbors. Gained 2 MPG on the interstate.
Forrest the problem with the turbo is the exhaust side. It is similiar in size to the HY35 with a 9cm housing. It doesnt take much to hit over 1000 degrees. With a load on her it is a real chore trying to just get going without sustained EGTs of 1400 degrees. RPMs actually raise the EGTs!! Anything over 2200 has you lifting off the go pedal with a trailer. Quick spool starts cooling the temps but that tight housing is killing the middle RPMs.
I am also looking at a set of noozles for the truck but I believe that it will be atleast another 6 months till I have the extra cash for those.
Any votes for the HTT?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

oh I'm sure the stocker is restrictive, I just didn't know how it would feel down low without a programmer to give a little pre-boost fuel... I guess you could unplug the map sensor
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 PM

I have the HTB2 from HTT and it works great for me. My truck is not totally stock but the only fueling mod is a Diablosport Predator and I usually keep it on the tow setting. Mine is the 62. Seems to spool about like the stocker but provides much more on the high end. I don't think I would want to go bigger if you tow a lot. Still moves quite a bit more air than the stocker.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 PM

I recommend the sps6280, I have ran this turbo with no fueling, just exhaust and intake. It worked excellent, very little lag, and I couldnt get the egts up over 1200 no matter what I tried. Even with heavy fueling I havent got it up to 1300 pre turbo,, love that turbo, and it will work with your exhaust brake too

Kevin
Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM

Morkable which turbo housing is that? the 12 or 14? I couldnt find it on their website.
Right now I am still looking for input from the 6spd crowd. I am concerned about the bottom end. I am also looking for some input on the htt 71 series if anyone has tried one.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 PM

It is a 62 14, it would work excellent with a 6 speed. Even better than with an automatic. You would not be sorry

Kevin
Old 01-02-2007, 08:30 PM

PM "dodgezilla," He put a htb2 12 on a nearly stock 6er
Old 01-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C Schomer
I did the muffler first and then the turbo. It really helped the top end. Instead of falling flat at 2200 rpm, it came alive. Craig
Another reason why to buy an 04.5 or newer. Bigger turbo and more top end power
Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 AM

I had my HTB2 on the 03 and without the boxes turned on I really couldn't feel any difference in power. I did not drive this way too often so because mine was an SO so I can't really tell you any good info there.
I have the same turbo on this truck and even without the Quadzilla on the turbo makes a huge difference in power once it spools up. It actually feels like there's a box on there. I think you will be very happy with this upgrade. The price is right too on the HTB2s.....
Old 01-03-2007, 04:46 AM

Dodgezilla how is your initial spool up compare to stock? I have a 600 so it should act about the same as your new truck. I am worried about the day to day intown under 2000 RPM.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 AM

It seems about the same as stock until it starts spooling up then you can definitely feel the extra power. I think I have a sticking wastegate issue right now so I may be pulling the turbo off this weekend and I'll get a better idea of the difference between the two with my current setup.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a bigger turbo on a stock truck?