3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

anyone familiar w/ ATS TWIN SETUP W/ STOCK TURBO ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone familiar w/ ATS TWIN SETUP W/ STOCK TURBO ?

i am interested in this setup and was wondering if anyone has tried it? if so how did it work out and are you happy w/ the performance especially on the low end?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

From what I have heard and talked to them at diesel nationals in baytown, it will support 550-600 on fuel and very streetable, instant spool up as close to what stock is as possible. Great for towing applications and some mild racing.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where does one get info on this? The only place I've heard about it is from Two Guys Garage.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 PM

I used to like that show, but I can't stand seeing them try and push some stupid purple gloves every chance they get.....
Old 12-18-2007, 02:28 PM

ya, it seems like all those shows are just getting really bad about that ... every 5 seconds they are hawking someone's product. Yes I know the show functions on the support of the advertisers, but it's disgusting how bad it is now, all they do is talk about product and they never talk about the trucks ...
Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 PM

Do they offer it with a stock charger on top?if they do I have not seen that yet.

We installed a kit a few months back on a 04.5 that had a A2000 and A5000 it performed well.But then again we also installed a cam,injectors,dual cp3,smarty,BD intercooler,ATS arc flow, and fire ringed the head so I guess it should perform well.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:09 PM

Its a A4000 with a stocker on top, but they bolt together with some sort of valve to that opens progressively as the stocker increases boost. So at low boost the valve is closed, and as boost increases the valve opens more so that 4000 begins to take over. (Valve may not be the correct word, i just cant think of another way to put it). It looks like a really slick setup. Its not like the conventional cummins twins setup.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 AM

I haven't heard of that set up, but it sounds interesting. There is a guy here, who sells a kit where you use a stock over a s400, and a lot of people have got kits by him (he actually does about everything related to turbos and diesels including Duromax's) Price is probably better than the ATS stuff (dunno what their price is though) and workmanship is top notch. He goes by IdahoCTD here. I understand that the stock turbo over a s400 (at least the stock from a 05) is enough air for around 600 maybe 650 hp.
Relentless Diesel is another twin setup that uses a stock turbo, but they use a HTB3 (I think) for their bottom turbo, and no external wastegate like Nathan does. They seem to work well, but a lot of people think the external wastegate is a superior setup, and a s400 flows more air.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by GaveUpOnTV
but a lot of people think the external wastegate is a superior setup, and a s400 flows more air.
The drive pressures would concern me at 600hp. That is a LOT of exhaust gas to pass through the 9cm housing.

Perhaps the ATS kit uses an external gate. If so, that may be a super sweet setup if the price isn't enough to scare most people off...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:21 PM

I know it doesn't have an external wastegate. I just wonder if they address the wastegate issue like Nathans twins. I PM'ed a guy who had mentioned them before I saw them on Two Guys Garage. He gave me a price that was about $50 cheaper than Nathans twins.

From what I saw on Two Guys Garage the piping between turbos is flexible. It looked like my Cool Hose. It also didn't have a very smooth bend to it like other builders twins do.

From what little I've seen its very worth it to go the extra $50 to get better quality and probably better performance from Nathans twins. Unfortunately Nathan probably won't be able to keep up with ATS' advertising department.

I sent Nathan a PM once concerning drive pressures with and without an external wastegate. He said without an external wastegate he would run 67 for boost and 77 for drive pressure at WOT.

With an external wastegate and no other changes he ran 67 for boost and 73 for drive at WOT.

He also got an improvement in EGT of about 100 degrees. But when your maxing out at 1200 degrees anyway whats 100 degrees.

Nathan is really honest about this setup and believes its not worth the extra cost of the external wastegate for the small improvement it gives. After seeing how much extra it was I agree with him.

All of this testing was done using the bullydog downloader on the middle setting which Nathan said he dynoed right at 400.

600 hp would be a whole nuther ballgame.

Truthfully I don't think I'll ever get to 600 hp. If I had a setup that would run 450 to 500 hp and allow me to drive and tow cool with quick spoolup I would be very satisfied. For me the tossup is between BD's and Nathans twins.