3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anyone in Canada using PSM intake ? or anyone in snowy areas

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in Canada using PSM intake ? or anyone in snowy areas

Hi guys,
After much research I am looking at getting the PSM cold air intake or doing up my own soon.
I was wondering how this is holding up in snow/wet conditions ?? Does the intake tube get plugged ever or any snow get up in there ?

Can anyone give me some info on there experiences please

Thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 PM

I was considering doing this as well but after the big snow storm Calgary got hit with in Nov 09 my stocker airbox filled with snow----mind you i was blasting though 2 foot drift trying to get my bread deliveries done at 4:00AM.There was no way i could get my company truck even near the loading dock-----so box everything up and head out in the dually,after about 3 hours of trying not to get stuck(it was close)i had the check engine light come on---looked around and found the passenger side fender completely filled/stuffed with powered snow.Opened the airbox and full to the bottom of the pleats,spent about 20 minutes cleaning everything out/checked the turbo and fired back up---engine light went out-------must of starved it of air or something,all was fine for the rest of the day.PS----I ditched my AFE cold air box with the exposed air filter mounted up front last summer after coming home in a heavy rain down pour out by Bowden----got home popped the hood and the filter was completely wet on the front half up by the intercooler/oil missing(almost white).Seems to me where the stocker is mounted on the third genners is they can and will catch a lot more dirt/water/snow compared to my 2001.I run the stocker/sealed with an Amsoil Nano now and no more two foot drift "blazing" for me-----My two cents DW
Old 06-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks
ya that AFE kit is a joke. What a waste of money. I had one on my 04.5 and won't make that mistKe again
Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Talking

Check out this link. The one gentleman used an abs 4" threaded female adapter w/ a matching 4" plug to convert the airbox to stock for winter driving. I used his idea; I like the fact that I'm using the stock setup w/ warm air for faster winter warmup and no concerns about snow build up in the box. Gets cold and snowy in MT too.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ferrerid=49764
Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 PM

I've played a lot in the snow with mine and never had a problem.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as installing the threaded cap, I think I'd place it at the very bottom of the tube so you can easily hop out of the truck, reach under the fender, tighten it on and go. I find it tough to get the airbox lid off and on (I got one hand).

In order to do this the tube needs to be pvc or have a threaded end clamped on the end of the flex hose.

You can also use a clamp-on rubber end cap.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks guys for all the advice
Old 06-13-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BMH95
I've played a lot in the snow with mine and never had a problem.
When mine had the stock air cleaner I had a problem. The truck starts to lose power and you can hardly see out the windshield for snow and you start to go slower and lose more power and you know the Kensworths and Peterbuilts behind you can't see any better than you and you are driving a White Dodge. and finally you have to pull over and you can't tell where the road ends and the ditch starts. I had this happen three times. As one fellow said it does get snowy in Montana as once it happened to me in the Minida Pass on I-15 pulling my Fiver. The other two times were in Northern Alberta. I switched to a BHAF and have not had a problem since. I have seen the front of the BHAF totally covered in snow but it is big enough that it still gives the engine enough air from the back. With the front totally covered with snow the aircleaner indicator did not go higher that 10%.
Jim O