3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anymore free or cheap MODS??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anymore free or cheap MODS??

Did the silencer ring, torque tube, swiss cheese box and the muffler delete, anything else out there as a free mod. I was also thinking of powder coating my wheels which is another cheap mod(v.s. buying different wheels)
Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM

Tone ring mod! That will actually give you a seat of the pants gain plus it should improve your mileage. The drawback is that if you decide to run a timing box you may get some timing rattle from being too far advanced....

Do a search....
Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 PM

hmm... read a lil about it:
Link

OK, so it has nothing to do with the ECU, correct?

Also, I couldnt find this questions i had:

1. How much of a HP increase is it?
2. Is the $69.95 Adjustable Timing Sensor part all I need?

Im just not sure what the tone ring mod and what the rokktech is?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Banned

the mod is free, you modify & it does it's thing, the roktech is a part available that takes the modifying out of it, you swap in the new part and away ya go, there is one for sale in the classifieds section, 60 shipped if I recall, no I am not the one selling it but I do check there often.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:56 PM

The Rocktech is an adjustable timing sensor that replaces your stock unit. It gives about 2 degrees max of additional timing. I can't tell you a HP number but as I said, you can feel it on the bottom end. Let me put it to you this way, my SO with no box turned on would never spin wheels, even if I powerbraked. Once I did the Tone ring mod I could get the rpms up and let the brakes off and the wheels would spin a little bit. Nothing major but something nonetheless.
The tone ring mod does the same as the Rokktech but it's free and involves modifying the ring attached to your crankshaft damper. The great thing is that if you don't like it you can turn it back to stock. I had to do it when I started running the TST box. I can give you a link on another site that gives my detailed account of what I did. I'm sure you can find it here though if you search a bit further. It's very simple to do.....
Old 05-09-2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
the mod is free, you modify & it does it's thing, the roktech is a part available that takes the modifying out of it, you swap in the new part and away ya go, there is one for sale in the classifieds section, 60 shipped if I recall, no I am not the one selling it but I do check there often.
so I have (2) choices:

1. I modify it(modify what?)

2. Or dont modify anything and just replace the part that I was supposed to modify?

What the power increase for this?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=Dodgezilla]The Rocktech is an adjustable timing sensor that replaces your stock unit. It gives about 2 degrees max of additional timing. I can't tell you a HP number but as I said, you can feel it on the bottom end. Let me put it to you this way, my SO with no box turned on would never spin wheels, even if I powerbraked. Once I did the Tone ring mod I could get the rpms up and let the brakes off and the wheels would spin a little bit. Nothing major but something nonetheless.
The tone ring mod does the same as the Rokktech but it's free and involves modifying the ring attached to your crankshaft damper. QUOTE]

Might as well send the link. My what with NO box turned on???
Old 05-09-2006, 07:21 PM

I too was interested in doing the tone-ring mod, but i noticed around the end of last year when the weather started getting colder, alot of guys were complaining of excessive knocking untill it warmed up, and the guys were also saying that they put the tone ring back to stock for the winter months.

I would love to do this free mod, but I have a very bad back, and don't feel like getting under my truck to keep switching back and forth.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 PM

the knock yu guys are referring to sounds like an older diesel motor type knock?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:31 PM

I dont know what it really sounded like, But I remeber reading ALOT of posts on the tone ring mod, and how everybody was saying how they gained better milage and seat of the pants power. There were posts that went on for months about this subject. Than I remeber in the cooler months, posts starting to show up where people were saying they had to back off the tone ring a bit because of the louder knocking.

Im sure if you did a search about the tone ring mod, you'll get a few pages of just that subject alone.

I was wondering if someone came out with some sort of in cab adjustmant for either the mod or sensor, and no, Im not talking about a power box or anything like that.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

dodgezilla was refering to his SO, standard output truck..... you asked my what??? fire up the search bar again and do a little more reading on tone ring mod, or search the classifieds and cough up 60 bux and just swap the part, although it is a bit of a pain as far as tight space work......
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 PM

trying to find some pics, cant find any. Anyone have a DIY article?? Tools needed, exact pics.....etc Also, some HP/TQ info would be nice to know. How big on an increase
Old 05-09-2006, 08:28 PM

Hey Viking, quick question for ya, how do you like the swiss cheese box after you were done? Im thinking of putting a 4in PVC elbow out of the bottom of my stock box first, than maybe a few holes around it if I wanted more air.
How was the whistle with just the swiss holes, and what filter are you using.
Once my back starts feeling better, Im gonna start working on my air box a bit. Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
Hey Viking, quick question for ya, how do you like the swiss cheese box after you were done? Im thinking of putting a 4in PVC elbow out of the bottom of my stock box first, than maybe a few holes around it if I wanted more air.
How was the whistle with just the swiss holes, and what filter are you using.
Once my back starts feeling better, Im gonna start working on my air box a bit. Thanks
I love it. With just the swiss holes the whistle is louder than w/o it but NOT a huge difference, seems like the silencer ring but even more the torque tube is what made the turbo really loud. The filter is still stock, im going to replace it with the AIRRAID drop-in filter, i think about $20 on ebay.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:51 PM

Look here and read down a few posts. Hoss explains it pretty well. If you need more than let me know and I will give that link at the other site.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=tone+ring+mod

You know, the tone ring is not exactly a perfect fit on the dowel hole even when it is factory stock. Some guys have noticed a gain just by loosening the damper bolts and trying to turn the ring counter clockwise a bit. It's not going to move much but if it moves any, you may see some gain. It seems our friends in Mexico don't worry too much about it's position before they tighten those bolts.
I had to smack my ratchet with a 3lb hammer to loosen the bolts too and I did the same to torque them down.....

Quick Reply: Anymore free or cheap MODS??