3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anybody running TCI converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smoke_pedal
I have a TCI in a 12 valve with 370s, and a 10 plate all the way forward. a Frankenstein shift kit, and a tranny rebuild. Let me tell you, the TCI hasn't even thought about slipping. When it locks at full throttle, it is scary. I am afraid for the shafts in that transmission. I have so much torque that the rubber in my motor mounts is shredded, and I need to replace it. Speaking of which where to get motor mounts? That is another thread, sorry. Next, I will hybrid the turbo, and it can stand up to some more fuel in the form of a GSK.
You probably have the tripple disc, right? It's $1100+ and I think I can do better on price and still get what I need. Also, if I can find a single or double disc that will hold, it will not be nearly as hard on the output shaft - which I do not want to have to change!
I should be able to make a post this afternoon listing the basics of each company and what they offer - still have a few calls to make.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Omaha as a word of advice from someone who right now as we speek is in the tranny shop with problems regarding Dunrite's valve buddy kit. To get his 5year warranty you have to get either the shift kit or the full valve body. Do not try to save money by getting the kit and installing it yourself. And don't let him try and talk you out of it either. Insist on it and Go ahead and get the fully assembled valve body. The kit is real cheezy and you have to put aluminum plugs in and drill out holes and grind some valves and such. My tranny guy will never again do another one of Tony's vave buddy kits. His TQ conv. is awsome, I'm just a little disapointed in the engineering of the shift kit. The only reason I went with it is cause at the time I had the work done I only had a few says to work with and Dunrite was out of stock on the fully assembled VB's and couldn't get one shipped in time and he "calmed" my fears about putting a shift kit on the tranny with a VB that had 115,000mi so I siad sure. Now I'm out the door another $350 to diagnose and fix a problem that never should have occured if I had used the complete VB. For more on my continuing saga go to my thread titled:

"Possible Tranny Problem???" on the Engine and Drivetrain board.
I remember reading that thread, and yes, if Dunrite is the way I go, I will buy a complete VB. Partly because of your experience, and partly because I haven't had an automatic apart since high school (16 yrs ago - the whole "your getting old" thing is sneaking up on me). Also, at this point in my life, if I can buy a bolt on item and save myself some time, I'll do it. That's one of the reasons I'm considering a complete exhaust kit instead of replacing the the cat and muffler - less work. I think I'm getting lazy.
Think?
Ok, I'm getting lazy.