3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anybody else have THIS issue with Smarty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck has loved the SMARTY. Best purchase ever.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:18 PM

I have update my Smarty with each release that has come out on the Mads website.

I have tried the aftermarket turbo program on stock, mild, and moderate with not really any relief. It only affects me when towing.

I have not tried the aftermarket injector software yet because I was worried it would make the EGTs go higher. When we head to the dunes there is a long stretch of road (70 miles) where you are running about 50-55mph and its REALLY bad. A lot of uphill and EGT's are hovering between 1000-1250 the whole time.

I am very much looking forward to the towing program to come out!

I may give it a go to see if it makes much of a difference.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 PM

mine does the same thing. i tow once a week to the lake and the people behind me hate me to death. too much smoke. i guess i will update mine with the standard settings to get better gas mileage.(my truck sucks at mpgs)
Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe the aftermarket injector program would help you better. I have seen BobWagner suggest this to people who want less smoke. Give it a try. I never see the haze unless I'm at 70-100% on the throttle, even when pulling. The smarty does the trick for me, I'd rather see smoke, trips the truck drivers out.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
Okay so I have been using a Smarty since the first ones made it over the pond. Pretty much as soon as it came out.

I LOVE IT.

However, when I am towing I have an almost constant haze if I am on the throttle at all (like maintaining speed at 65mph). This is with my car trailer behind me, my boat (10k) or my Toy Hauler (14k). Daytime you can see it kind of puffing out darker smoke. Not rollin coal while crusing but just a constant output.
At Night its a different story. Looking behind and to the right of the truck if there is ANY light coming from behind me it looks like I have been driving thru THICK THICK fog.

I have tried each revision so far. I ran it down to SandLake dunes this weekend on Smarty 1, Stock TRQ mgt, and its still does it. If I pull it back to stock it quits. It also DOESNT do it with my EZ on at all. I pulled the EZ in testing to see if that was causing it. Then set smarty to stock and put EZ on low, then medium. Doesn't do it. NEVER did it with my Juice/Attitude either.

I have tried every level with timing up to 9 to see if one would work better and they all do it.

Tired of my ToyHauler being stained black all the time..
Any pointers? Any suggestions? THANKS!
Chad

chad, why dont you hop on the ferry, and i'll show you what smoke is.
as bob stated, the tow programs limit smoke to a small puff. very manageable when driving around in town, or towing.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM

Dont bother trying the Aftermarket Injector software! With its decreased timing your EGTS will go through the roof. I have been through all the smarty programs in search of low egts and little smoke.......They dont exist. I have been running the Beta 4.4 for a while and the smoke is gone under throttle but the temps are toasty and it killed my stock trans. I now have a built trans. Dont tow heavy with the BETA on stock trans!!!! I have an 07 with 50K commercial towing miles, I have run the smarty since 15K miles. I have tried them all and I will tell you that unfortunately low egts without constant hazing is not available from the smarty right now. It sucks I know in a few hundred miles my 50K trailer will be covered in black soot. There goes another $45 truck wash :-( I am patiently waiting for the answer from Bob/Marco but untill then I am running a few thousand miles a week on the stock programming to save my pistons and black smoky trailers.....

Unloaded Beta 4.4 is unreal!!!!! No problems at all but I tow for a living....

Waiting patiently :-)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
chad, why dont you hop on the ferry, and i'll show you what smoke is.
as bob stated, the tow programs limit smoke to a small puff. very manageable when driving around in town, or towing.
I am well aware of good smoke. I rather enjoy it 90% of the time! I have a

However, I don't like smoke all over my nice white travel trailer or my offshore race boat. Its 42 feet long and VERY hard to get soot off the boat.

Toy hauler is just about as bad being as tall as it is.

BTW I saw your rig here around Christmas when you were at the powershop. Its in the town that I live. God they sure love banks at that place! They do a lot of BD stuff too though. Good numbers you have!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:13 PM

sorry to get off the subject but if I have haze that I can see at night and I DO NOT HAVE any box on my truck, one of my injectors is bad?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSheep5
sorry to get off the subject but if I have haze that I can see at night and I DO NOT HAVE any box on my truck, one of my injectors is bad?
If you only see some slight haze at night, its likely nothing. But if you are still within warranty, you can have your dealer check it for you. Most common symptom of injectors going is the white smoke at startup and diesel in the oil. You can also do a poor mans oil sample by putting a drop of oil on a white napkin. If there is diesel in it, there will be a clear ring around the darker part (the diesel will wick into the fabric of the napkin whereas the oil doesnt).