3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Any1 try making a homemade FASS system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PEAKSTRYDE
Of course he told you that, come on Mark.....................................you are smarter than that.

Mine should be here Friday.
well I guess he got me....I believe him...there are only 3 units on the market that claim to do air separation.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 AM

53, for a guy who does alot of his own stuff, you sure are against putting together a fuel system. Forgetting about the "air sep" deal for a second. I put together a Walbro setup totally custom BEFORE there was a GDP in existence. In my opinion, my setup is WAY better BECAUSE it is custom. I have a true bypass regulator that I can set from 0 to 60psi and it'll hold that number forever.... (if my lid doesn't blow off my stock fuel filter). I made 617rwhp and the needle on my fuel guage didn't move from 20psi where I have it set at. I have around $400 in my setup not counting my dual 2mic filters. That's another $80 or so. For the money I have invested, I want you to show me something on the market that'll do what my custom "kit" will accomplish....
Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by trik396
53, for a guy who does alot of his own stuff, you sure are against putting together a fuel system. Forgetting about the "air sep" deal for a second. I put together a Walbro setup totally custom BEFORE there was a GDP in existence. In my opinion, my setup is WAY better BECAUSE it is custom. I have a true bypass regulator that I can set from 0 to 60psi and it'll hold that number forever.... (if my lid doesn't blow off my stock fuel filter). I made 617rwhp and the needle on my fuel guage didn't move from 20psi where I have it set at. I have around $400 in my setup not counting my dual 2mic filters. That's another $80 or so. For the money I have invested, I want you to show me something on the market that'll do what my custom "kit" will accomplish....
Airdog...$499=6 year warranty(walbro=no warranty), 2-3micron filtering(dual 2mic is not needed IMHO) built in water separator...it all fits under the truck not in the bed...comes with 1/2" lines from the tank to the CP3....AND it separates Air and vapor... I dont know for sure but am think the Airdog can pump at 60psi as well...so you paid $480 and I paid $499..I would rather have my system for the price and options...dont get me wrong you have put together a great system....but some times custom is not better and cheaper...I learned that on my homemade fuel system on my 01 CTD
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM

How does your system regulate pressure? My setup includes a drawstraw and 1/2" lines from tank to pump to filters to bypass reg to cp3 also. The only reason I mounted my filters in my box in the bed is because I didn't want them hanging below the frame which they would be because the CAT filters I use are about a foot long. Aside from the air separation, which we disagree on, I feel my setup is better. And that price includes a spare Walbro that I keep in my glovebox. Considering Walbro makes many OEM pumps that last for the life of a vehicle for the most part, I'm sure I'm under my own warranty for at least ten years plus. And I don't think we can have too clean of fuel. Dual 2mic filters are a minimum for me. I'm thinking of adding more. And I can switch back to my stock fuel pump in about 5 minutes time. So I feel my custom setup is better and cheaper. And I'm sure we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:09 PM

I have a hard time believing you have made your setup for $480 with filters and a spare pump and ALL the fitting required to connect it all...
what do you mean by how does it regulate??? it has regulator in the return line fitting on the airdog base..fully adjustable.
a guy could plumb a back up set-up on any system he buys or makes so that is nothing special to me...
I think we will have to agree to disagree...cause I feel my set-up is superior...a walbro will never separate air and vapor.. so you cant compare the two anyway...this should be a comparison of the raptor and walbro IMHO...but the raptor wins there too

you made a really nice set-up and I dont want to argue that..but when I put it ALL on paper the walbro was WAY more to piece together or buy as a kit when you include shipping from multiple places and hunting parts and fittings down...it just did not make sense for me..
I agree to disagree...no biggie

Cheers
Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I custom built my whole truck for way cheaper than what the dealer could sell one to me for and you rejects are talkin about fuel pumps
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
I custom built my whole truck for way cheaper than what the dealer could sell one to me for and you rejects are talkin about fuel pumps
Too funny...

and I could not agree more with your sig.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
Too funny...

and I could not agree more with your sig.
hahahhaa ya i happen to be willing to die for that little cause
Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 AM

The object is to make the OTHER guy die for it.....

back to the setup....
$109 x 2 for the GSL392's
$18 x 2 for the CAT filters
$20 x 2 for the filter heads
$119 for the Aeromotive bypass
I think I paid $26 for the draw straw I put together thru Source Automotive.
1/2" fuel line was about $35
fittings were around $20
So I'm a little over the 480 mark. Some of the fittings I had from previous projects also...
and there's a one year warranty on the pumps.