3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Any1 try making a homemade FASS system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any1 try making a homemade FASS system?

Might be a dumb ? but at various parts stores (napa, princess auto, part source etc..)you will see pumps in various sizes from 10gpm to 100 gpm. could a guy just plumb one in line between fuel tank and stock fuel filter? would it need a return? would it have to variable displacement or just have a pressure relief on it?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Millions of different pumps and configurations. Some need returns and regulators, others are set at a specific pressure and GPM to begin with. Each pump should have specs with it. I will tell you that a couple of pumps that I tried fell waayyy short of the specs that they printed. See my sig for what I ended up with!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck with that project...it would cost you a ton of cash..and all the while you would have to do it with out infringing on other company's patents..why not just buy a system? it would be WAY cheaper.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Banned

i belive it would only be infringing if you were puting a kit together and selling them, if you peice your own kit there is nothing illegal about it, as they would not sell items in a PARTS store if it were illegal to use that item for what ever.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM

very true. airdog is what ill probably get. its just that i was doing some thinking and trying to save $$$ as we all are. nothing against airdog or FASS but man they are expensive
Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by UnrealTrendz_OR
i belive it would only be infringing if you were puting a kit together and selling them, if you peice your own kit there is nothing illegal about it, as they would not sell items in a PARTS store if it were illegal to use that item for what ever.
this may be true but I highly doubt you could buy off the self items and have a air separator that works......FASS and Airdog are built on CNC's with all types of porting...when I called and talked to pureflow they told me people have been trying to separate air from fuel since for YEARS!!! but nobody could figure it out...I say go for it!!! it just seems way cheaper to buy a AirDog for $499?????
I always say..."why buy it for $25 when I can build it for $100!!!"

least thats how most my projects go
post up if you try.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey.....I resemble that remark!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
Hey.....I resemble that remark!
you must be a tech tooit's our nature...
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 PM

Why re-invent the wheel? Charlie put a lot of time and effort into the design. Why not take advantage of it?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
this may be true but I highly doubt you could buy off the self items and have a air separator that works......FASS and Airdog are built on CNC's with all types of porting...when I called and talked to pureflow they told me people have been trying to separate air from fuel since for YEARS!!! but nobody could figure it out...I say go for it!!! it just seems way cheaper to buy a AirDog for $499?????
I always say..."why buy it for $25 when I can build it for $100!!!"

least thats how most my projects go
post up if you try.

Of course he told you that, come on Mark.....................................you are smarter than that.

Mine should be here Friday.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PEAKSTRYDE
Of course he told you that, come on Mark.....................................you are smarter than that.

Mine should be here Friday.
LMWAO!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 AM

ok charlie. ill buy a airdog . airdog 100 should be ok hey? (for my setup?) also are the filters easily subbed up to wix or donaldson , fleetguard? or do I have to order these filters in from states just like the airdog? how often would I change them?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 AM

You can get fleet guard replacement filters dont have the numbers handy but they are easily obtainable.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 AM

I think the fleet guard # is ff5613 for the 3 micron,and the water sep. is fs9768
Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 AM

My FP 100 came with a 3 micron Fleetguard stratopore (its says right on it) even though its rebranded as AirDog.
I also ordered an extra filter and light kit from Diesel Manor.
http://www.dieselmanor.com/pureflow/airdog-filters.asp
I can't find a picture of the light kit, but it is a pressure switch and light that turns the light on at pressures less than 5 psi indicating the need to change the filter. Or you can just change it every year or 15K miles.
I'll just wait until the light stays on.
The wiring harness in the Air Dog kit already has the wires for the pressure light kit, so the sensor and light are just plug and play.
I installed my light in the A pillar so I didn't have to drill a hole in my truck itself, and its easily visible. Its the light right above the pyro guage
Name:  DSC00343.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  61.5 KB

Quick Reply: Any1 try making a homemade FASS system?