3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Any reason I shouldn't get an Aurora 3000?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trefling
I had one, it's good for 400-450 rwhp. Only problem is that if you go bigger injectors and chip it up you can explode the tubo because it's not wastgated. Plus your backpressure will be through the roof not to mention really high egts. I have since switch to the aurora compound and love it! But the A3000 is good if you have a programer but have not done the injectors, pumps, ect....
I'll go ahead and share my experiences in general, but just wanted to make a couple specific comments about this particular post.

First. It's good for a lot more than 450hp. I've dynoed 547 and will be dynoing again this coming weekend. I definitely have fuel to be well over 600 so we'll see how well the 3k keeps up.

Second. You aren't going to explode it because it doesn't have a wastegate. It has never spiked over 50psi for me and runs closer to 40 most of the time.

So here is my experience with the A3k.
Let me start by saying that it does not spool faster than the stock turbo. It's not bad but it is a little slower. Prior to my injectors I ran it for quite a while. It is a good daily driver and tows very nicely. With a tight TC, it's a little slow out of the hole with a load behind you, but not bad. Egts stayed in check very well at 500-550hp. It would hit high 1300s on a full run to the speed limiter. I could tow at 450-500hp and still keep egts in check.
Since I have had the injectors things have changed. It is still good for daily driving but egts are around 1500+ on a full run. Towing is where it has really changed. I have surging issues pretty badly at this point. What I don't understand is that I can turn all the electronics off and it still surges. So for whatever reason, it does not seem to like the injectors. I will most likely be going to twins in the spring.

So 500-550hp without injectors, it is a very good turbo and I have been very happy with it.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wap
...................... Maybe they can or will upgrade a 3k to a 4k for you or vise versa if the one you get doesnt quite suite you but they would not give me that option.

I haven't called them, but I doubt they would trade a used 3k for a new 4k. But my thinking is the 3k would work great for now...and if I decide to go for more power later.....just buy a 5k and the plumbing for twins. That should work wouldn't it?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam
I'll go ahead and share my experiences in general, but just wanted to make a couple specific comments about this particular post.

First. It's good for a lot more than 450hp. I've dynoed 547 and will be dynoing again this coming weekend. I definitely have fuel to be well over 600 so we'll see how well the 3k keeps up.

Second. You aren't going to explode it because it doesn't have a wastegate. It has never spiked over 50psi for me and runs closer to 40 most of the time.

So here is my experience with the A3k.
Let me start by saying that it does not spool faster than the stock turbo. It's not bad but it is a little slower. Prior to my injectors I ran it for quite a while. It is a good daily driver and tows very nicely. With a tight TC, it's a little slow out of the hole with a load behind you, but not bad. Egts stayed in check very well at 500-550hp. It would hit high 1300s on a full run to the speed limiter. I could tow at 450-500hp and still keep egts in check.
Since I have had the injectors things have changed. It is still good for daily driving but egts are around 1500+ on a full run. Towing is where it has really changed. I have surging issues pretty badly at this point. What I don't understand is that I can turn all the electronics off and it still surges. So for whatever reason, it does not seem to like the injectors. I will most likely be going to twins in the spring.

So 500-550hp without injectors, it is a very good turbo and I have been very happy with it.

Omaha, Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. Please let me know how your dyno event goes!!! And if you go twins next spring...will it be ATS or some other set?

I figured that it would not make sense to expect the 3k to spool faster than the stocker. Certainly they are going to do whatever they can to "Market" their product and probably, to some degree, embellish it.

If I did decide to do injectors and a 2nd CP3, I guess I would need to revisit the turbo issue. But for my truck with just a Smarty and a TS MP8 on stock injectors I would think the 3k would work. I will be having my trans done pretty soon to put what power it does make...to the ground. I am at 467 now on Smarty alone...so im thinking the MP8 should put me some number over 500.......550 perhaps? So again the 3k should work unless I decide to take the next step and do a bunch of other (expensive) supporting mods. Right?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Omaha, Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. Please let me know how your dyno event goes!!! And if you go twins next spring...will it be ATS or some other set?

I figured that it would not make sense to expect the 3k to spool faster than the stocker. Certainly they are going to do whatever they can to "Market" their product and probably, to some degree, embellish it.

If I did decide to do injectors and a 2nd CP3, I guess I would need to revisit the turbo issue. But for my truck with just a Smarty and a TS MP8 on stock injectors I would think the 3k would work. I will be having my trans done pretty soon to put what power it does make...to the ground. I am at 467 now on Smarty alone...so im thinking the MP8 should put me some number over 500.......550 perhaps? So again the 3k should work unless I decide to take the next step and do a bunch of other (expensive) supporting mods. Right?

I would agree.
When I go twins it will not be ATS. I will sell the 3k and be doing a stocker over an s400.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:19 PM
wap

I haven't called them, but I doubt they would trade a used 3k for a new 4k. But my thinking is the 3k would work great for now...and if I decide to go for more power later.....just buy a 5k and the plumbing for twins. That should work wouldn't it?

It should but I dont know for sure, I guess what I was sayin is that you can get an HTT or II turbo, say a 62mm variety and should you want to go to a 64mm you can send it to them and they will rework the turbo for a few hundred bucks vs having to sell your 3000 to get a 4000, should the 3000 not be enough turbo.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm kind of in the same situation as the original poster. I'm looking to upgrade eventually and am just starting to explore my options on whats out there. I'm still really green when it comes to alot of this stuff so not using any abbreviations would help. My question is how does this Aurora 3000 turbo compare to the silver 62 found here;

http://www.industrialinjection.com/id44.html

Like I said, I'm just trying to gain some knowledge for when the time comes to upgrade. Thanks, hope I didn't hijack the thread.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:44 PM

After dynoing today. I would say that 550hp is about the max capability of the A3k as far as cooling goes. Still not sure why the injectors changed it so much for towing, but 500-550hp with just electronics and it's a good turbo. For towing you would need to keep the power down in the 450-500 range to keep egts in check depending on where you are towing - elevations, hills, etc.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Banned

What did you dyno today? Also did you use Johns dyno again?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sloverado
What did you dyno today? Also did you use Johns dyno again?
Check out the thread I started "yet another truck on the dyno"
Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Good luck on getting the plumbing for twins. I have been calling for several months on a regular basis trying to get the A3K upgrade for my twins and I keep getting the brushoff. You would think after spending 13k with them they would be a little more helpful.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:32 PM

When I go twins it will not be ATS. I will sell the 3k and be doing a stocker over an s400.

Wooo Hooo!!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 AM

After dynoing today. I would say that 550hp is about the max capability of the A3k as far as cooling goes. Still not sure why the injectors changed it so much for towing, but 500-550hp with just electronics and it's a good turbo. For towing you would need to keep the power down in the 450-500 range to keep egts in check depending on where you are towing - elevations, hills, etc.

Thanks for you helpful info Omaha. Very nice numbers in your other thread too!

I had about decided maybe I should look at other options for the turbo besides the A3K anyway, and this info just kinda helps solidify my decision. Maybe I will study a little harder on the II Silver Bullet or an HTT product. Morkable seems to be doing well with his SB. Thanks again.