3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Any one else see this with an AFE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MR. GADGET
So what's your deal??
If you don't have anything to add to this post stay out of it!!!!!!!
If replacing a filter with an aftermarket filter is bombing you need to learn a lot more.

I did not want to trash an air filter at 10K miles and wanted a replacement filter that I could wash and reuse. There are a lot of people using them and I have for going on I think 25 years now with no problems.
Something to add for the people that want info on what is going on with this: I called AFE and was told "they have had filters going out with to much oil on them sometimes" "over oiled" and if you get one "wrap it in a towel and it will pull it off".
They should go 1 to 2 times a normal filter so in my case 15,000 to 20,000 miles. I will see what happens.
Jon
First of all, let me say that I think Buzz added just as much to this thread as anyone else....with the exception of maybe Doug...who is obviously WAY too intelligent to be hanging around with a bunch of half wits like us.....errrr......y'all.

Second.....BOMB=Better Off Modified Baby=Aftermarket....so, although minor, it's safe to say that modifying your air intake by using some type of aftermarket performance filter is indeed Bombing.

My point...if Buzz is too scared to Bomb his truck then he has the right to feel that way and post about it. Would I go into a Performance and Aftermarket thread and talk about how bad it is to Bomb your truck?? No. Seems silly to me. However, not everyone is comfortable going above and beyond OEM. Those people are generally the ones you see hanging in the right hand lane cruising at 55 mph with both hands on the wheel.

Last....I've never been all that comfortable with oil soaked filters. Seems to me it would be too easy to either put too much oil or not enough oil on them and end up damaging your engine. That's the reason I've stuck with the stock paper filter so far. I want more air, but I just haven't found anything better that I was comfortable with putting on my truck.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang it Hoss! You beat me to it again!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:58 AM

[i]
Second.....BOMB=Better Off Modified Baby=Aftermarket....so, although minor, it's safe to say that modifying your air intake by using some type of aftermarket performance filter is indeed Bombing. [/B]
So if I understand you If you take out a OEM filter and drop in a Filter like say from NAPA you are Bombing your truck? Or a AFE? Does that count for Oil, Oil filters, Fuel Filters?
Remember we are talking about a drop in air filter not a system. I have always thought that Bombing would be the upgrades to the motor like what so much people are doing. I feel better being in the Bombing group I kind of felt left out because all my CTDs are and were stock but filters and oil.

In that case the dealer did My bombing for me.HEHE
I told them I didn't want to replace the filter at 8-10k so they told me they could help.
They sell and install K&N and AFE along with others.
Jon
Old 07-30-2004, 11:43 AM

What Hoss said.

I am also looking for more air but do not want an oiled filter.

What I don't understand is why the aftermarket doesn't come up with a solution that includes an unrestricted intake tube and mounting/shielding for a paper BHAF. There sure seems to be a market for it.

FB
Old 07-30-2004, 12:05 PM

it is not a bomb to put in after market replacement parts that are designed around the original factory specs and supplied as OEM replacement parts.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MR. GADGET
So if I understand you If you take out a OEM filter and drop in a Filter like say from NAPA you are Bombing your truck? Or a AFE? Does that count for Oil, Oil filters, Fuel Filters?
Remember we are talking about a drop in air filter not a system. I have always thought that Bombing would be the upgrades to the motor like what so much people are doing. I feel better being in the Bombing group I kind of felt left out because all my CTDs are and were stock but filters and oil.

In that case the dealer did My bombing for me.HEHE
I told them I didn't want to replace the filter at 8-10k so they told me they could help.
They sell and install K&N and AFE along with others.
Jon
I think there's a difference between using a typical aftermarket replacement paper filter that isn't a Mopar part and putting something like a K&N or AFE filter on. K&N or AFE or other similar filters are designed to increase air flow and thus increase performance. They are specifically geared towards performance. That, although a very minor modification, is still a modification.

By your definition of bombing, changing out my exhaust would not be considered a BOMB because it is not an upgrade to the engine.

We could argue all day long about what is actually considred bombing, but I don't really care to.

Now....back to filters.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

RustyJC,

You are very correct, but the total amount of dirt allowed in is VERRRRRY small to the relation of the total picture as compared to the "other" performance filters in this test process etc. The fact that it's a 1/3 more that paper is true, but 1/3 more of next to nothing is still pretty close to nothing.

Mark @ DPPI