3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Any new info on 4" downpipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any new info on 4" downpipes?

Well, I was bidding on a 4" downpipe on E-bay but with 30 minutes left someone has decided to keep outbidding me for it. It was just going to bolt up to my 3.5" elbow outlet but it would have been better than what I have now. I know Banks makes one that replaces the whole elbow and downpipe but does anybody else? I'm a little irritated that someone else waited til the last minute to start a bidding war! I'm not sure I wanted that one anyways but it was cheap.
Thanks,
Mike L
Old 09-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

That's usually what I do to ensure that I get the product. But anyways.

I read a thread on here that Holset has now listed the part number for the 4" cast elbow housing seperately from the turbo.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=50660

Is that what you are looking for?
Old 09-12-2004, 01:56 PM

Well, that's part of it Blue. Once you have that then you would also need a true 4" downpipe to bolt to it. The downpipe I was bidding on started at 3.5" and flared out to 4" which I know is still restrictive. I was all ready to go buy some 4" pipe and have a full 4" exhaust but now my dreams have been shattered! The reason behind the post is that I would still be willing to buy a 4" downpipe from someone who sells it at a reasonable price. I think $200.00 for the Banks unit is a bit steep. A little more and I can get a whole system. The drawback is that most of the systems still bolt up to the 3.5" outlet on the elbow...... Is the Banks unit worth that much more?
Old 09-12-2004, 04:07 PM

Hi, I just got a e-mail back from Rip at Source Automotive and he has a complete 4 in. system on sale for less than $300.00! His down pipe is a necked down 4 in. so it's in between 3.5 & 4in. Thats just a little more than what most want for juct the down pipe. Shipping for the one I'm looking at is around $50.00 You still come out ahead. He will make and sell whatever you want. Seems to be a pretty good guy. This is the web site, www.sourceautomotive.biz Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 AM

Missing the point. His down pipe is "necked down to 3.5" so that it can attach to the OEM cast elbow. There are two ways to get a true 4" exhaust on a stock charger...use a Banks DP or purchase a 4" cast elbow from Holset. I looked at both options, and choose the more cost effective one. Banks DP, 7' of 4" exhaust pipe, Donaldson muffler, and reusing the OEM tailpipe. Less than $400. Nothing else came close!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:20 PM

I'm thinking hard about that Banks downpipe. I can't seem to find it on their website or on anybody elses for that matter. Where is it??
Old 09-13-2004, 03:44 PM

Call them direct and order. You will need to cut their flange off or add a flange to your mid pipe.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:45 PM

I believe DPPI is building complete exhause kits with a Banks DP now too! Search the forum.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:59 PM

Well I didn't really miss the point I was just giving some info.on Rip's down pipe if he chose not to change the elbow. Just stating that Rip's is not as restricted as alot of them. I know that 1/4 in. might not be much but 3 .75 would be better than 3.5 right? Let me know. Just tryin to help and relay any info. I have found.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by cquestad
I looked at both options, and choose the more cost effective one. Banks DP, 7' of 4" exhaust pipe, Donaldson muffler, and reusing the OEM tailpipe. Less than $400. Nothing else came close!
I wish I would have thought of that. I didn't even consider it though because all I had ever heard about Banks was how expensive they are. I probably would have saved even more money though and left the Donaldson muffler on the shelf.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info myglide! Everyone is just trying to help. I like the sound of my Magnaflow muffler so I want to keep it and just buy the front part of the exhaust system. I can't seem to get any mfrs to respond to e-mails about selling just parts of their systems so it looks like Banks is the way to go. I wouldn't mind the new Holset elbow but I'm sure it will be expensive too.

Cquested, does the Banks downpipe come down and turn out to where it is level with the ground? I was hoping to just bolt it on and slide some 4" pipe on it and clamp it on. It sounds like you are telling me this won't work....
Old 09-13-2004, 07:12 PM

Yes...it comes down and turns level with the ground. You can do what you want...you just have to cut the flange off the downpipe, attach away with band clamps, flared pipe and u bolts, weld, whatever!

Back to the necked down bit...

It really doesn't matter if someone figured out how to connect a DP with 3.75" ID or even a 4" ID to the cast 3.5" ID outlet. The restiction is the outlet, not the downpipe...get it?

I will not stick my neck out there and state how important a true 4" exhaust is...but I felt the necessity and am very happy with my results.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:40 PM

I agree that 3.75" is better than 3.5". I also agree that 4" is better than 3.75"

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like I'll be sending Banks some $$$.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not listed individually on their site, but Diesel Power Products was selling the Banks DP with turbo flange gasket for $140 to forum members. That was cheaper than direct from Banks last I checked. Been a while so prices may have changed. May be worth a phone call if you haven't already purchased from Banks.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:37 AM

Thanks AKRAM!

Quick Reply: Any new info on 4" downpipes?