3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Any CFM+ manifolds exploding???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have "plastic" pressure vessels now that hold 2500-5000 psi! Its making competition tough on us steel guys...

I would rule it as a fluke like Hohn stated...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlibert
according to the bd vendor, they weren't using nitrous. He said they were only using water/meth. 60psi MIGHT cause something to split, but I don't see how it could cause the explosion they are describing.
This was posted as a warning. Our tech was lucky. What do I have to gain? Like another post said we arent promoting ours here. Sure I could have turned it into a beating, but it was a warning. Dyno with the hood down.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kantdrive55
This was posted as a warning. Our tech was lucky. What do I have to gain? Like another post said we arent promoting ours here. Sure I could have turned it into a beating, but it was a warning. Dyno with the hood down.
I agree with you Pat on the safety measures. Other things could always be compromised on a dyno, leaving the hood down would be best.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll give you that Pat-- you didn't try to push anything on anyone... it was just a heads up that morphed into all this other stuff.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by skynyrd
sorry to say it but that would take alot more than 60 psi to blow that plastic apart like that i used to work in a factory as a process engineer making thermoplastics. it would take more than 60psi to blow the intake apart like whats in the picture. also if you look at the fracture that is an instant spike in pressure (like a NX backfire) which caused an explosion of the intake (look at the bolt in part the section is curled over). a ramp up to a pressure would only cause the intake to expand until it caused a crack which would leak off the pressure.

Wow and there was only one gunman that shot Kennedy. This is no great conspiracy theory. You can phone and talk to the tech if you want. It blew, hit the hood and the roof of our shop. It wasnt 100psi. There was water meth on the truck, but it had been used the run before as well as that run. There was NO NOS on this truck, so therefore no NOS explosion. Again this was a warning to dyno with the hood down. I might be taking this a little to personally, but that is what happened.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sheesh, why can't we just accept Pat's kind warning as what it is? They dyno'd the truck, the intake blew, and that's dangerous.

Bashing vendors is a sure way to make them go away, and I personally LOVE the kind of access we get to vendors on this site.

Thanks for hanging around, Pat-- I appreciate you taking time to share the warning with all of us.

Justin
Old 02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Stevemil56
Wildcat I agree. I believe there is more to this than we are being told. If it is legitimate why are there no supporting facts. All I see is a picture that to me looks like it was professionally taken and no information about how it happened.
Ok here goes.

1999 Ford with Cummins 5.9 12v Swap
Plus 1 Celcius. Dyno Mustang 1500
15deg timing. Water Meth injection. dont know the PSI hobbs switch was at
stock ford Intercooler.
First dyno run 410hp
Second Dyno run 385hp and boom.

Water meth had come on and we were only half way through the pull when it blew. The reason for the photo looking like it did is we put it where we take photos of our products with good lighting and on white paper. If you like I can take a picture of it with my camera phone so it looks more amateur.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by HOHN
Sheesh, why can't we just accept Pat's kind warning as what it is? They dyno'd the truck, the intake blew, and that's dangerous.

Bashing vendors is a sure way to make them go away, and I personally LOVE the kind of access we get to vendors on this site.

Thanks for hanging around, Pat-- I appreciate you taking time to share the warning with all of us.

Justin
Your welcome. I seem to be a sucker for a good beating.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Is there even a remote possibility that some type of malfunction with the water meth system could have caused the explosion?

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
Ok here goes.

1999 Ford with Cummins 5.9 12v Swap
Plus 1 Celcius. Dyno Mustang 1500
15deg timing. Water Meth injection. dont know the PSI hobbs switch was at
stock ford Intercooler.
First dyno run 410hp
Second Dyno run 385hp and boom.

Water meth had come on and we were only half way through the pull when it blew. The reason for the photo looking like it did is we put it where we take photos of our products with good lighting and on white paper. If you like I can take a picture of it with my camera phone so it looks more amateur.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM
DTR Advertiser

There is always a small chance, but normally with water meth you dont see the spike in cylinder pressure like you would with NOS. I have tuned race cars for a few years and have definately seen NOS explosions. From what I heard this wasnt like one of those.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 PM

my cfm+ is holding up well so far although it has only seen 35psi. i will be purchasing the bd once i start running over 40psi because i too believe the cfm was designed for stock boost pressures.

ofcourse i will first have to see how the bd performes on the dyno
Old 02-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Hello,

Kantdrive55 could you please post close up picts of the fracture surface. Resin/plastics/composites are very hard to diagnose the failure mode, but it could not hurt to take a closer look.

Damon
Old 02-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW - I don't think a plastic intake is any more susceptible to work hardening or harmonic stresses than a metal one... they just have to be adequately designed for the admittedly severe CTD environment.

However, I wonder if the failure mode could have been catalyzed by improper fastener torque - it's the sort of thing that composites can be more sensitive to. ???
Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by mopardamo
Hello,

Kantdrive55 could you please post close up picts of the fracture surface. Resin/plastics/composites are very hard to diagnose the failure mode, but it could not hurt to take a closer look.

Damon
The customer has taken it back to try and get warranty on it. I dont have it here any more.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
FWIW - I don't think a plastic intake is any more susceptible to work hardening or harmonic stresses than a metal one... they just have to be adequately designed for the admittedly severe CTD environment.

However, I wonder if the failure mode could have been catalyzed by improper fastener torque - it's the sort of thing that composites can be more sensitive to. ???
I was thinking that same thing. A composite can crack from over-torque while a metal unit would likely just shrug it off.

It's because composites have little to no ductility--- which can enhance survivability in the harsh CTD environment.

Coming soon-- the Hohn Special Cast Copper Intake Horn

Quick Reply: Any CFM+ manifolds exploding???