3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Any CFM+ manifolds exploding???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skynyrd
sorry to say it but that would take alot more than 60 psi to blow that plastic apart like that i used to work in a factory as a process engineer making thermoplastics. it would take more than 60psi to blow the intake apart like whats in the picture. also if you look at the fracture that is an instant spike in pressure (like a NX backfire) which caused an explosion of the intake (look at the bolt in part the section is curled over). a ramp up to a pressure would only cause the intake to expand until it caused a crack which would leak off the pressure.
I agree... and I wonder what that did to the intercooler?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skynyrd
sorry to say it but that would take alot more than 60 psi to blow that plastic apart like that i used to work in a factory as a process engineer making thermoplastics. it would take more than 60psi to blow the intake apart like whats in the picture. also if you look at the fracture that is an instant spike in pressure (like a NX backfire) which caused an explosion of the intake (look at the bolt in part the section is curled over). a ramp up to a pressure would only cause the intake to expand until it caused a crack which would leak off the pressure.
I'm with you 100%. There's got to be more to the story..............
Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 AM

I love mine, but relocating the dipstick did change the oil reading???
Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 AM

alright everyone, i have come up w/ a way to end this debate once and for all.

i will gladly do a boost test on my cfm+. i will put 80psi through it and then add nos on top of that. all i need is for someone to give me an aftermarket turbo setup, fuel system, headbolts, nos kit, etc, etc......alright so whos gonna donate these parts to me?

oh yeah, i should also probably do some track testing as well just to be on the safe side, so i will also be needing a billet trans, ladder bars...........
Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
cfm+..... 4 questionable failures - all other companies combined that make non-plastic pieces....... no reported failures. but please, go on.....
I will, Thank You.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Bob;

If the energy that damaged the CFM intake in the pic posted was contained by a super bulletproof intake of XYZ manufacturing, would that energy subsequently damage something more expensive, and possibly more time consuming to replace?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wildcat
I will, Thank You.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Bob;

If the energy that damaged the CFM intake in the pic posted was contained by a super bulletproof intake of XYZ manufacturing, would that energy subsequently damage something more expensive, and possibly more time consuming to replace?
No...since the other stuff is metal. Have you EVER seen a pic of a metal intake horn that looks like that? On the other hand, we have seen many '05 plastic intercoolers that pop like that.

I guess what you're saying is if you want a weak link in the system, the CFM is perfect.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
No...since the other stuff is metal. Have you EVER seen a pic of a metal intake horn that looks like that? On the other hand, we have seen many '05 plastic intercoolers that pop like that.

I guess what you're saying is if you want a weak link in the system, the CFM is perfect.
First, I'd be more likely to believe a splitting or separation failure of the intercoolers that are plastic would occur, if they had been subjected to above normal boost pressures.

An abnormal "spike" in pressure would be likely to cause the SAME violent failure of an intercooler, as in the CFM manifold... ESPECIALLY if there were a more "Durable" intake present to pass that spike on.

Also, I would maintain that if the intercoolers failed VIOLENTLY and actually DID look like the pic of the CFM intake, that that damage was caused by the same kind of ABNORMALITY in operational pressures as what caused the damage to the CFM.

If by perfect weak link you mean "Less expensive and easier to repair", I guess my answer would be a conditional yes.

ACTUALLY, "perfect" would be a section of plastic intercooler hose that will tolerate "Normal" boost pressures and maybe even some degree of spikes in pressure, but will give out before the intercooler or more expensive parts can be damaged... (CFM included)

I don't believe for one minute the Intercooler (Metal or not) would stand for the explosive power required for that CFM to come apart like that. The thin Aluminum they are made out of make that pretty much a "No brainer". Now, if the composite/plastic intake were to release the surge PRIOR to the pressure being felt by the intercooler, it is ENTIRELY feasable the intercooler could survive unharmed.

I think you still may be somehow "Convinced" that these 4 "Incidents" of failure occurred during some form of "Normal" boost pressures for a performance application, or operation. For example, I don't believe even 80PSI would do this to one of these intakes. It would take a fast rising spike in pressure FAR beyond what even a "Performance" motor could create, UNLESS that performance motor MALFUNCTIONED.

It is my contention that ALL 4 cases were more likely the result of a "Gross Abnormality", that if the intake didn't give, it would have certainly passed the damage on to a potentially more expensive and harder to replace component.

That would also "Explain" why there haven't been any "documented" cases of Aluminum or Metal intake failures, because they didn't fail, but merely subjected the rest of the intake system to the spike in pressure.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob4x4
Nice you have it all summed up.

When I am 500 miles south of the border supporting a race truck I don't need any added risk factors.

Bob
The truck is a risk factor in itself, but you race it 500 miles south of the border anyways.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wildcat
First, I'd be more likely to believe a splitting or separation failure of the intercoolers that are plastic would occur, if they had been subjected to above normal boost pressures.

An abnormal "spike" in pressure would be likely to cause the SAME violent failure of an intercooler, as in the CFM manifold... ESPECIALLY if there were a more "Durable" intake present to pass that spike on.

Also, I would maintain that if the intercoolers failed VIOLENTLY and actually DID look like the pic of the CFM intake, that that damage was caused by the same kind of ABNORMALITY in operational pressures as what caused the damage to the CFM.

If by perfect weak link you mean "Less expensive and easier to repair", I guess my answer would be a conditional yes.

ACTUALLY, "perfect" would be a section of plastic intercooler hose that will tolerate "Normal" boost pressures and maybe even some degree of spikes in pressure, but will give out before the intercooler or more expensive parts can be damaged... (CFM included)

I don't believe for one minute the Intercooler (Metal or not) would stand for the explosive power required for that CFM to come apart like that. The thin Aluminum they are made out of make that pretty much a "No brainer". Now, if the composite/plastic intake were to release the surge PRIOR to the pressure being felt by the intercooler, it is ENTIRELY feasable the intercooler could survive unharmed.

I think you still may be somehow "Convinced" that these 4 "Incidents" of failure occurred during some form of "Normal" boost pressures for a performance application, or operation. For example, I don't believe even 80PSI would do this to one of these intakes. It would take a fast rising spike in pressure FAR beyond what even a "Performance" motor could create, UNLESS that performance motor MALFUNCTIONED.

It is my contention that ALL 4 cases were more likely the result of a "Gross Abnormality", that if the intake didn't give, it would have certainly passed the damage on to a potentially more expensive and harder to replace component.

That would also "Explain" why there haven't been any "documented" cases of Aluminum or Metal intake failures, because they didn't fail, but merely subjected the rest of the intake system to the spike in pressure.
Well whatever this "mystery" spike in pressure is, it sure hasn't affected the trucks with metal intakes enough to hear about it. Do you see ANY reports of people blowing out metal intakes, metal IC's, or any other metal part of the system? No...so there goes the mystery pressure spike conspiracy theory.

There aren't all that many trucks running the CFM's either, so 4 failures is significant.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 PM

I have the CFM on my truck and I like it. I would like to see more information on these 4 that exploded. I find it hard to believe that they can't hold 60 lbs of pressure.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Well whatever this "mystery" spike in pressure is, it sure hasn't affected the trucks with metal intakes enough to hear about it. Do you see ANY reports of people blowing out metal intakes, metal IC's, or any other metal part of the system? No...so there goes the mystery pressure spike conspiracy theory.

There aren't all that many trucks running the CFM's either, so 4 failures is significant.
I'm saying it is my belief that extreme boost pressure in a high performance diesel engine did NOT cause the damage to the 4 CFM intakes in question.

I am also saying it is my belief that the failure of the intake had to do more with a malfunction of the engine under the application of extreme power.

Are you saying that there is nothing mechanical that can go wrong with a high performance diesel engine, that could possibly cause the type of damage exhibited to the CFM intake?

And also, are you saying that the answer to containing this extreme energy is to use a metallic intake?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stevemil56
I have the CFM on my truck and I like it. I would like to see more information on these 4 that exploded. I find it hard to believe that they can't hold 60 lbs of pressure.
I would find it hard to believe that they would come apart like that with an instantaneous application of 120 PSI!

Whatever happened to the intake posted HAD to be more energy than would normally be encountered in the intake of a healthy running performance diesel engine.

Now, if the 120 PSI split it open, OK. But to rip it apart like that?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 AM

Wildcat I agree. I believe there is more to this than we are being told. If it is legitimate why are there no supporting facts. All I see is a picture that to me looks like it was professionally taken and no information about how it happened.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stevemil56
Wildcat I agree. I believe there is more to this than we are being told. If it is legitimate why are there no supporting facts. All I see is a picture that to me looks like it was professionally taken and no information about how it happened.
Finally! I thought I was the only one to see through the smoke and mirrors!

I don't even OWN one of these manifolds! (Thought about buying one when I first bought my rig.)

I've actually been looking at the GDP unit lately, kinda fits with some of my future mods... We'll see...
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 AM

If I burn the popcorn I throw it away and eat doritos instead. Git u a metal one man the microwave stinks.

Quick Reply: Any CFM+ manifolds exploding???