3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Any CFM+ manifolds exploding???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by silkywoods
Is my Quadzilla 65hp box going to make my CFM+ explode?
You're safe with the Quad box.

But I wouldn't run nitrous with the CFM intake.

MikeyB
Old 01-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think nitrous will hurt it either..... Nitrous backfires on the intake side on a diesel are really unheard of. What we actually see it the release of pressure out the exhaust not the intake. I have personally blown apart exhaust components using nitrous but Have never even blown an intake boot using it!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
I don't think nitrous will hurt it either..... Nitrous backfires on a diesel are really unheard of. What we actually see it the release of pressure out the exhaust not the intake. I have personally blown apart exhaust components using nitrous but Have never even blown an intake boot using it!
not you Doug! That is unheard of LOL. Jetpilot and nitrous explosions in the same sentence. Sounds like a perfect match. LOL
Old 01-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Lloyd.....

Hey I have been pretty good lately. No big bangs in a couple years.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The plastic intake is probably fine for "normal" use, but I'll always prefer metal for structural advantage - that's why our intake horn is 304SS... if it gets damaged in an explosion, you can pick the pieces up out of the crater in the ground and weld it back together!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:27 PM

Mike,
Are you making intake horns?

MikeyB
Old 01-26-2008, 04:36 PM

Yessir!

We're debuting the HPCR model on the '05 next month at the Alvarado sledpull... it has 4 injector bungs and 4 boost sensor bungs (for all of the Hobbs-activated solenoids).

They come with a minimum of 2 bungs (1 each of injector & sensor), but can be ordered with as many ports as a person would have the stones to use.

... although if someone crazy like Buck ordered one with more than 12 injector bungs - there might have to be an additional charge!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Yessir!

We're debuting the HPCR model on the '05 next month at the Alvarado sledpull... it has 4 injector bungs and 4 boost sensor bungs (for all of the Hobbs-activated solenoids).

They come with a minimum of 2 bungs (1 each of injector & sensor), but can be ordered with as many ports as a person would have the stones to use.

... although if someone crazy like Buck ordered one with more than 12 injector bungs - there might have to be an additional charge!
Cool!

How much? Any pics?

MikeyB
Old 01-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CD in NM
Between the intake horn and the intercooler there is a plastic pipe that comes on our trucks stock, I wonder what it's capacity is?
Originally Posted by Ghost Ram
that pipe is also prone to cracking w/ increased boost pressures over stock.
AFAIK only the '06-'07 have that plastic pipe. The earlier models have a metal one. I've run 55psi through my plastic IC pipe several times without issue. Having said that, I still replaced it with a metal pipe from BD.

Originally Posted by ropnjessi
Have you read the CFM+ warranty? Heres part of it, there not really clear on any specifics...

"This Intake is not intended for use in any competitive event or activities.
This limited warranty is void where the Intake has been used in any of
these ways."
That's about as lame as DDP's warranty not allowing any added pressure. I guess CFM is saying right there that their product isn't built to stand up to higher-than-stock boost pressures.

Originally Posted by skynyrd
sorry to say it but that would take alot more than 60 psi to blow that plastic apart like that...
...like heat, heat cycles, and vibration? There's a lot more that just 60psi (at room temp) in the equation.

How many reports of broken ones do you guys need to see before you'll believe it?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
AFAIK only the '06-'07 have that plastic pipe. The earlier models have a metal one. I've run 55psi through my plastic IC pipe several times without issue. Having said that, I still replaced it with a metal pipe from BD.

That's about as lame as DDP's warranty not allowing any added pressure. I guess CFM is saying right there that their product isn't built to stand up to higher-than-stock boost pressures.

...like heat, heat cycles, and vibration? There's a lot more that just 60psi (at room temp) in the equation.

How many reports of broken ones do you guys need to see before you'll believe it?
I don't need to see reports, I need to see PROOF of what did it.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:01 PM

Just installed the cfm+, don't notice a diffrence
Old 01-27-2008, 03:27 PM

Man, Paranoia runs rampant!

Dig for the facts, people, or just don't worry about it!

chipmonk, 4 WHOLE reports of them blowing up? Wooppee!!

Any power adders being used??

CD in NM, C'mon man, 45 psi of boost, and THEN what happened?

I'm sure these intakes are capable of a "NORMAL" range of "elevated boost pressures", something ABNORMAL must have happened.

The intakes are expensive, but I think if it came right down to it, if something was going to go wrong, I'd want it to be easily replaced, and not affect something more expensive, or harder to replace.

jmccart, I REALLY don't think you have a thing to worry about.

People, if a Pecan falls on your head while under a Pecan tree, it doesn't mean the sky is falling.

Justice4all, I'm thinking you are on the right track here.

ropnjessi, Check the disclaimers on your Truck warranty, Insurance etc. You'll find very similar language.

XLR8R, although you "Weld it back together" arguement may sound good on the surface, I HARDLY doubt anyone with the supporting mods to take advantage of ANY of the intakes in question would hesitate in dropping the cash for a new one instead of repairing the blown up one.

As a point of clarification, I'm not affiliated with any manufacturer of ANY Diesel products, performance or otherwise.

I am surprised that the "Innuendos" on this thread have been allowed to fly so rampantly, especially when people come to this board for what they HOPE is an HONEST representation of what is fact and what is fiction.

Just for kicks, does anyone who has participated negatively in this thread manufacture intakes, or OWN an intake of different manufacture?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by wildcat
Man, Paranoia runs rampant!

Dig for the facts, people, or just don't worry about it!

chipmonk, 4 WHOLE reports of them blowing up? Wooppee!!

Any power adders being used??

CD in NM, C'mon man, 45 psi of boost, and THEN what happened?

I'm sure these intakes are capable of a "NORMAL" range of "elevated boost pressures", something ABNORMAL must have happened.

The intakes are expensive, but I think if it came right down to it, if something was going to go wrong, I'd want it to be easily replaced, and not affect something more expensive, or harder to replace.

jmccart, I REALLY don't think you have a thing to worry about.

People, if a Pecan falls on your head while under a Pecan tree, it doesn't mean the sky is falling.

Justice4all, I'm thinking you are on the right track here.

ropnjessi, Check the disclaimers on your Truck warranty, Insurance etc. You'll find very similar language.

XLR8R, although you "Weld it back together" arguement may sound good on the surface, I HARDLY doubt anyone with the supporting mods to take advantage of ANY of the intakes in question would hesitate in dropping the cash for a new one instead of repairing the blown up one.

As a point of clarification, I'm not affiliated with any manufacturer of ANY Diesel products, performance or otherwise.

I am surprised that the "Innuendos" on this thread have been allowed to fly so rampantly, especially when people come to this board for what they HOPE is an HONEST representation of what is fact and what is fiction.

Just for kicks, does anyone who has participated negatively in this thread manufacture intakes, or OWN an intake of different manufacture?
Nice you have it all summed up.

When I am 500 miles south of the border supporting a race truck I don't need any added risk factors.

Bob
Old 01-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bob4x4
Nice you have it all summed up.

When I am 500 miles south of the border supporting a race truck I don't need any added risk factors.

Bob

Ohh COME ON!!

That is a valid arguement?

Any idea how many of these have been sold, and the best ANYONE can do is come up with 4 QUESTIONABLE failures??

Even if the number was TRIPLE that, I'm willing to bet when matched against those sold and in service without problem, would negate any quality issues.

It's my belief there were some extenuating circumstances, possibly even some negligence involved. But I guess that's just me doubting the human element...

But, Hey man, I'll give you that one, if you insist.

As for the rest of you reading this, unless you are engaged in "Race Truck Support" 500 miles south of the border, you are "Probably" safe to run one of these!

BTW, I have never been involved in "Race Truck Support", but I'm Willing to bet you take far greater chances with HUMAN element mistakes, than you would with a "Hard part" like this.

Even with "Chase Truck Support" I can't imagine anything going wrong with this manifold versus whatever you are running now.

There are allot of moving parts on your truck a whole lot more likely to fail in the pursuit of your hobby or enterprise, but you already know that. I only mention it to better inform those who are reading this exchange.

Entertain me with your answer to this hypothetical situation: If the energy that damaged the CFM intake in the pic posted by you was contained by a super bulletproof intake of XYZ manufacturing, would that energy subsequently damage something more expensive, and possibly more time consuming to replace, while engaged in "Race Truck Support"?

Nothing personal, Bob, I don't know you from Adam, under "Other" circumstances, we might actually get along. It just seems like here lately some emotion and bias has wrapped itself around some product opinions, and no, I'm not referring solely to you.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM

cfm+..... 4 questionable failures - all other companies combined that make non-plastic pieces....... no reported failures. but please, go on.....

Quick Reply: Any CFM+ manifolds exploding???