3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Another guy with Hankook RT03 tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another guy with Hankook RT03 tires

I have been searching the forums about these tires and there is not much info on them, so I fugured I would give my opinion in on them since myself and 2 other buddies run those tires.

I just pulled off the 315/70's that I had on my truck since 2 miles. I have 26,000 on my truck now and is was almost to the wear bars (5/32nds wear bars) which I know I could have gotten 30K out of them. Funny thing about those set of tires is that the first 6K miles they were hopping and such and didn't have time to get them corrected and I believe the dealer who mounted them didn't get the beads seated or balanced right or something. It put a bad taste in my mouth about the tires because they were so cupped out at around 7K miles is wasn't funny. I have a friend that trues up and balances big truck tires so I went down there and and we shaved lots and lots of rubber off the tires to get the true. Those tires are new with 20/32nds and at 7K miles I was down to 12/32nds after trueing and then went down the road to another friends shop and had them balanced and had two tires take 20 & 22 ounces of weight, one with 16 ounces and one with 6 ounces. I was so dang ******, but after all of that they finally road really good. I had them rotated and rebalanced again at around 18K and again took lots of weight to balance them. In the end I was happy with them because I know how hard I am on tires and the price of them and I knew I would have gotten more miles out of them if they were correctly mounted and balanced to begin with. The first 7K miles wore down 8/32nds of tread after shaving them and then the next 19K miles wore down around 6/32nds more.

I have a buddy that had the same tires on the same truck but an '03 and he got around 25K miles on and he is hard on tires so bad it isn't even funny. That was his 3rd set of tires and he said so far they were the best. He sold the truck to his friend and he had the tires on for a few thousand miles until they needed replacing and he turned around and ordered the 35x12.50 10ply tires. Haven't talked to the guy how he likes the 10plys yet.

Well, I turned around and ordered the 37x12.50 RT03's last week and put my 2 1/2" lift on this Friday night and then went down to put the tires on Sat. morning. I was sweating that they would rub the fender well, but after getting them mounted they barley scraped by with a hair. I don't go offroad so I am not worried about articulation getting the fenders. They only measure at a true 36" tire height which I thought is a joke, but if they were any taller they would have rubbed. Two of the 37's only took 2-3 ounces of weight and the other two tires took 8 and 10 ounces. Could have most likely 180 the tire and get them to take less, but the guy didn't want to handle the big tires any more then he had to and I didn't blame him, so....

So far so good on the ride and for the money of the Hankook's which I didn't pay but $220/tire for on the 37's + $40 mount and balance I do not believe I have anything to complain about. Plus these are 10ply tires too which is nice. I will keep everyone informed on how the tires ride and mileage, but not sure how many miles I will get out of these. I am having too much fun right now with the Smarty which will wear those tires down quicker.

I tell you what though, with the G56 transmission, I really like the height of the tires because I recalibrated the speedo with my Smarty and I can run down the highway now at 70mph doing about 1,950rpms. I will have to check my mileage on the next trip I take here in a few weeks and see if I can come up any better then 19mpg from before, but I had the XZT plugged in also.

Later,
Justin
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 AM

I had those on my F150 CC 4x4. I loved them and went offroad almost every weekend.

Great tire, but took a sh*tload of weight on 1. So much that they didn't have room for the hammer on weights. They had to use stick on AND hammer on 1's.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CallmeD
I had those on my F150 CC 4x4. I loved them and went offroad almost every weekend.

Great tire, but took a sh*tload of weight on 1. So much that they didn't have room for the hammer on weights. They had to use stick on AND hammer on 1's.
in a situation like that, I would break down the tire off of the bead, and rotate the rim inside the tire, 180 degrees, and try balancing it again. Its worked for me multiple times in the past.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM

This thread is worthless without pics!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by b.lee
in a situation like that, I would break down the tire off of the bead, and rotate the rim inside the tire, 180 degrees, and try balancing it again. Its worked for me multiple times in the past.
He did that 3 times. This was the least of the 3.