3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Another EGT Safe Temp Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another EGT Safe Temp Question

OK - I did the search and saw that there are a lot of opinions on what the max EGT temps should be. I should be receiving the Commander module today and will install this weekend. I have a Smarty Jr. (setting #2 – tow) and would like to set the de-fueling parameters. My main concern in the EGTs.

I came to a tentative conclusion for the EGTs that I was going to set the Commander to de-fuel at 1,375 degrees. I tow a 10,000lb 5er one or two weekends a month (to ride in the desert so there are some medium size grades I climb). The rest of my driving is daily commuting. Does that sound reasonable or is it too low incase they get high for a short time while towing?

Any thoughts on Trans temp parameters? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by offroadcpa
OK - I did the search and saw that there are a lot of opinions on what the max EGT temps should be. I should be receiving the Commander module today and will install this weekend. I have a Smarty Jr. (setting #2 – tow) and would like to set the de-fueling parameters. My main concern in the EGTs.

I came to a tentative conclusion for the EGTs that I was going to set the Commander to de-fuel at 1,375 degrees. I tow a 10,000lb 5er one or two weekends a month (to ride in the desert so there are some medium size grades I climb). The rest of my driving is daily commuting. Does that sound reasonable or is it too low incase they get high for a short time while towing?

Any thoughts on Trans temp parameters? Thanks in advance for any help.
I thought the Commander would only defuel a Quadzilla module? I was under that impression, but it may be wrong.

As far as temps, that is definately on the safe side. I would probably bump it up to 1450-1500° and just watch it. Those temps shouldn't hurt anything unless held for a very long time.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM

I don't let mine go over 1300*. I use my right foot as the EGT control.

I pull a TH through the mountains between San Diego and Imperial county too.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, 1300* is the max for me also while towing. I also pull the I-8 mountains from S.D. to Imperial Co. Or lately, I go over the mountains on Hwy79 and Hwy78 from So. Riverside Co. to Imperial Co. Thats always a fun trip.
As for tranny, I try to keep it no more than 220*. If I see spikes higher than that during a trip, I usually change my fluid after soon after.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With the Jr on #2 you could probably set it as low as 1350 and never have it be an issue... but yeah, I dont think it will defuel unless you have there chip...
Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 PM

I don't have it yet, so I do not know for sure, but on the website, under
Stand Alone Operations, it says:

- The Commander provides digital monitoring of up to 7 parameters on your truck simultaneously

- The Commander works as a stand alone gauge and no other products
are needed to use the monitoring system

- The Commander will de-fuel based upon EGT, Boost, Trans/Oil Temp,
Engine Coolant (high), Injection Pressure, and Fuel Pressure. This
alone almost makes any other gauge obsolete.

- Parameters Monitored: EGT - Boost - Transmission/Oil Temperature -
Engine Coolant Temperature - Injection Pressure - Fuel Pressure
(0-100psi) RPM
Old 03-14-2008, 04:52 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I agree, I don't think it Commander will de-fuel without being used in conjunction with one of their modules. But don't take our word for it, call someone at Quadzilla and ask them. That really is the best way for this bit of info.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM

The Commander will NOT defuel a downloader or any other programmer that can not be plugged directly into the Commander. I know, it sucks, I had bought it for that purpose only to be let down.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 PM

Well,

I am with the group here going for the lower of the EGT numbers. I didn't let my EGTs over 1250 on a 9% grade pulling a 10K lbs cargo trailer. I was still able to keep about 50-55 MPH on the hill, which I was really impressed with.

Also, if you are pulling heavy and long, make sure you let that turbo cool down for a while after the pull. I always let it cool down below 300 degrees, but found that the amount of time I needed to let it sit down there was much more than I usually did.