3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: Manual Arm or Automatic Arm for Turbo Timer
Manually set the Turbo Timer each time you want to use it
9.30%
Automatically arm the Turbo Timer if any of the timer parameters are set
90.70%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Another Commander/Turbo Timer Poll Question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Commander/Turbo Timer Poll Question!

Ok, it is a pretty simple question that I can imagine will have a lot of opinions.

To set the turbo timer we have 2 options. On our end the only real difference is how much it costs to build. We can either build one that works or one that works and is a little fancier.

I will sort of describe them and then you can choose your selection on the Poll.

1.) Manually set the timer everytime you want to use it. Basically what you do is go into your menu for the timer and select either how long (time) or how cool (egt) you want the truck to be before it shuts off. Then before you shut the key off you would hit the bottom button on the Commander (just one idea) to arm it. Your settings would always remain the same you just need to manually arm it.

2.) Automatically have the turbo timer work if you have either the timer or the egt cool down function set. To make the timer not work you would need to have both setting turned to the off position or the timer is going to activate automatically in a key off situation.

I see both pro's and con's to either method. I want to hear some opinions on this.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Quad
Old 02-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like how my Attitude always automatically activates the timer if you have it enabled. If you want to override it and shut the truck off sooner you just hit the brake. If i had to manually set it each time I got out of the truck - i would bet that I would just turn the key before remembering to set the timer. There's an opinion for ya.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 PM

I voted automatic for those times when my wife drives the truck, or when I lend it to the family to haul something back from Home Depot or whatever.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bighornram
I like how my Attitude always automatically activates the timer if you have it enabled. If you want to override it and shut the truck off sooner you just hit the brake. If i had to manually set it each time I got out of the truck - i would bet that I would just turn the key before remembering to set the timer. There's an opinion for ya.
I don't have the Attitude, but do have a timer (SP). What he said is exactly how I feel also...the brake pedal shutdown is a must have.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Well the TST timer can be set either way, auto or manual. I like having the option. Mine has been on auto now since I got the upgrade.

If I had to choose, then it would be auto if a parameter was set. That still gives me the option to turn it off.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 PM

I think I see a trend! That was my gut feel as well but, I also see a lot of threads like "my truck won't turn off" and it ends up being that they set the timer up maybe to too low of a temp by mistake and then they freak out because they can't kill it with the key.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 PM

While the commander will soon be added. I have a viper system that has a turbo timer. Of course I must activate it when I want it. It would be nice to have both options. It should come as manual with the owner deciding to make it an automatic proceedure. Hence less problems with the complaints of the truck not shutting off.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Auto is the ticket but it needs to tap in to ALL other brand pyro probes
Old 02-28-2007, 07:53 PM

Well, that is a dilema right now as well. What you are talking about is a stand alone type turbo timer. I am assuming that there are plenty of those on the market right now??

What we are talking about is a piece (as inexpensive as possible) that will add on to the Commander to give you a cool down option. Basically we already have all the EGT and TIME parameters built into the COmmander so it is just a matter of hooking to the needed wires to keep the truck running with the key off.

Sounds simple, can be simple but, we are making sure we think it all the way through.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

OOH YEAH... Count me in .. Automatic with the brake tap for a manual overide!!! Keep up the good work quad!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Auto, brake tap, with a setting for pre or post turbo pyro installation.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 PM

I have the isspro unit right now, nice unit, works as advertised, I put a switch in to override the system. I would like to have something like the commander with the timer into it though. Maybe it wouldnt unlock my doors when the truck shuts off

Kevin
Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
I have the isspro unit right now, nice unit, works as advertised, I put a switch in to override the system. I would like to have something like the commander with the timer into it though. Maybe it wouldnt unlock my doors when the truck shuts off

Kevin
You can probably fix that by changing the keep alive wire on your truck. I am guessing the wire you chose keeps everything alive. You can probably just move that to another ignition wire and stop the rest of the stuff like the doors unlocking.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bpdp379
.....with a setting for pre or post turbo pyro installation.
I would prefer to do this myself. I want to be the one who determines the delta T.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I would prefer to do this myself. I want to be the one who determines the delta T.
Maybe I was misunderstood. Certain products require the EGT sensor to be located in a certain position for their timer to function the way they designed it. I think it would be better to have the freedom to decide for myself.

Quick Reply: Another Commander/Turbo Timer Poll Question!