3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Another Allison thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand corrected..... .62 in sixth....wow
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
ya it is pretty long legged.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Muted User

isn't the RE .69 in 4th?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So it has two ODs and the sixth gear is a .62. Very high. I can't remember what 1st is in the 48RE.

Does anyone know what the ratios are in the Aisin?

John
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Muted User

48RE

1st 2.45
2nd 1.45
3rd 1.00
4th .69
R 2.21 (I think)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Muted User

dodge has used that ratio 2.45 1.45 1.00 for 30+ years ....lol....not sure if that's good or bad.

In any case, if I HAD to have an ally tranny, I'd just buy a friggin D'max lol. But instead I HAD to have the Cummins the slushbox can be "worked" to be MUCH better.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 AM

Deesil,

Try 50 years! It was a big improvement over the two speed auto that Chrysler used through 1956. In the 60s they refined them. Then they finally added a OD when the diesel just didn't have the RPM range needed.

The design is getting very tired and has been cheapened to just barely hold stock power. They are strong but just enough, and they still feel like a 50s tranny with a tacked on OD.

The idea with the Ally or the Aisin is MORE gears. A beefed up 48RE doesn't have that.

Time to get a modern trans with 6 well spaced gears for towing. A good low for starting out and four wheeling. A good set of gears for highway and mountains. And a high OD for level ground.

John
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 AM

The design is getting very tired and has been cheapened to just barely hold stock power. They are strong but just enough, and they still feel like a 50s tranny with a tacked on OD.
The design may be old, but holding stock power says a lot more now than ever. 610 ft/lbs stock running through the drive train. A lot of folks are running the stock trans with a few mods as well.

I'm putting you in the "never satisfied" category.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Raspy
Deesil,

Try 50 years! It was a big improvement over the two speed auto that Chrysler used through 1956. In the 60s they refined them. Then they finally added a OD when the diesel just didn't have the RPM range needed.

The idea with the Ally or the Aisin is MORE gears. A beefed up 48RE doesn't have that.

Time to get a modern trans with 6 well spaced gears for towing. A good low for starting out and four wheeling. A good set of gears for highway and mountains. And a high OD for level ground.

John
Well in my defense I did say 30 PLUS years.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:11 AM

2003Ram,

Well, I guess you're right. Never satisfied might be close.

After looking at the shafts and things at the tranny shop I was a little disappointed to see how they are much weaker than they could be. And I would not have been there if mine could have held the 60 HP increase from the Smarty. So it can hold stock power but it takes thousands to get it to hold a little more and some of those parts are from Chrysler! They have just made small changes over the years and now it's time for a change. I welcome the 68RE and the Aisin.

I will admit to wanting improvements but if non of us did we'd still be driving 1st gens with 318 gassers, or riding horses.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Raspy
2003Ram,

I will admit to wanting improvements but if non of us did we'd still be driving 1st gens with 318 gassers, or riding horses.
My horse will forgive this statement....but only once. Please try to refrain from future Equine slurs in the future, such as "glue pot" and "nag". We live in a sensitive time and belittleing a grand creature such as the horse will not be tolerated.

And BTW, the 318 is possibly the best gas engine ever produced, please don't make me have to address this issue again.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:57 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Deesil
My horse will forgive this statement....but only once. Please try to refrain from future Equine slurs in the future, such as "glue pot" and "nag". We live in a sensitive time and belittleing a grand creature such as the horse will not be tolerated.

And BTW, the 318 is possibly the best gas engine ever produced, please don't make me have to address this issue again.
While I could understand the slight with the horses-- after all I used to call the ex "Sea Biscuit" (she was an old nag)... 318 best gasser?? heck, you won't even get mopar purists to agree with that...

FWIW-- My first muscle car was a 70 Chevelle SS 454, 4 speed and LS6... THAT was an engine. Biggest mistake was selling that. 2nd biggest was getting married.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 PM

I want the Allison for durability. I just don't know why Dodge just didn't use the Allison in the first place. Can you imagine how many would buy them, just like if Chevy were to use a Caterpillar engine instead of the D-max. I just can't get past aluminum heads on a diesel. Anyway, I have been contemplating the idea of selling one of my Dodges and buying a van (we need a bigger people hauler). The only van I really like is the Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter. Unfortunately, they are more than the truck is worth and don't want to spend the extra money. Here's the crazy idea. Purchasing a freightliner MT45 step van with the Cummins/Allison combo and converting it to a passenger /RV rig. They run a Gruman-Olson body, Dana 80 rear, 19.5" wheels and tires etc. The hardest part is going to be convincing the wife to go along with this idea. It would be a stout rig with lots of room for people, maybe a small refridge etc. What do you all think? Am I crazy?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Muted User

Sea Biscuit huh?

It's a wonder you aren't still married! What happened....you put poop in her feed bag?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM

Deesil,

You're really on a roll.

I'd agree on the 318 except for the mileage. They just can't get reasonable mileage. But they can take an outrageous beating.

Now, where was I?.

John

Quick Reply: Another Allison thread