3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Amsoil

Well on friday I bit the bullet and got the $100 oil change. I tell you what, my truck runs smoother now than it did, that is for sure. i hope to get more miles out of the oil than the conventional oil but I get about 1mpg better avg over the tank I just used so far. Also I put some of that diesel kleen in my last 3 tanks and I have no more injector noise that I was having before.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some people like amsoil here on this site and some people don't. I have been running amsoil in several trucks and cars, I can tell you that I have experienced an increase in mpg. oh yeah it helps to get the oil at dealers cost too.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 AM

To be honest the cost didnt bother me. I just hate having to stop to get it changed every 2 months. I can go at least twice that long now.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 AM

I havnt tested this yet, but other on here have. if you get the oil bypass filter, you dont have to change your oil for about a year + (just make sure you do viscosity tests tho) here is the link. I have been re-searching this for my truck

http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/
Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Argo
To be honest the cost didnt bother me. I just hate having to stop to get it changed every 2 months. I can go at least twice that long now.
Make sure you tell the guy who buys your truck you extended the oil changes past the recommendations of Cummins. I'm sure he will be so impressed he will give you more than you are asking.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:07 AM

i run the Amsoil oil in every thing i drive. everything on my truck is changed over,and you will see better milage when and if you change out the diff/diffs, and t case,if 4x4.
most people know about the Amsoil line up for product and that is it good stuff. as for the comment about the extended oil drain,i wouldn't worry about that, anybody that knows will be ok with it, and for the people who are not, just get the oil anylized every 10,000-15,000miles.
it would be better for you to run stuff like Amsoil, then the crap they sell at walmart and such, because most of that is recycled oil.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:19 AM

Yeah, you make sure to tell the next guy that you drive it like you stole it......

I dont plan on selling my truck and if I do, what is the difference? Anyone that educates themselves on vehicles should know a little something about synthetics in this day and age. Aside from that after 100k what is the differnce??
Originally Posted by Geico266
Make sure you tell the guy who buys your truck you extended the oil changes past the recommendations of Cummins. I'm sure he will be so impressed he will give you more than you are asking.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:41 AM

Yeah...everyone has their favorite brands. Did my research, and alot of the preferred brands discussed just are not available in my area. Amsoil made it easy since they ship direct.

The deal closer was the new Dondaldson High Endurance filters Amsoil is selling. When I did my first oil change, I used the Donaldson and the 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Oil. Don't need to change the oil until next 25,000 miles (no bypass filter). http://www.performanceoiltechnology...._endurance.htm

Yes, I'm not completely at ease about that number, but I figure I'll monitor it and do oil sample testing at regular intervals so see if its true (or at least avert a disaster if it isn't).

I will say this. Engine runs quiter, smoother, and I have seen a 1 mpg increase since using it. Time will tell.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:17 AM

I am hesitant on going to synthetic. i have heard storys of warrenties being canceled because of using synthetic oils, and the engine needs dino oils for the first part for internal stuff (technical crap i dont know about) I only have 27k miles on my truck. I will probably change over at about 50k miles or so.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM

I am now at 36k so it seemed to be as good a time as any. Dang does it run smooth with it though.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My next oil change I have deceided to go with Amsoil, too. Made the decision a couple of weeks ago. I am a mobile one Syn. guy mostly. Did the research and decieded to go with Amsoil instead. I normally change oil every 5000 miles. I will go with the 7500 mile interval. Still is a standard drain interval. Oil is cheep compared to a motor.