3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Amp Power Steps Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Amp Power Steps Install Help

I'm installing a set of Amp Power Steps but I can't find door ajar wires. Their markings are

VT - Driver Front, VT/GY - Driver Rear
VT/WT - Pass Front, VT/YL - Pass Rear

The instructions said they were located left of the steering column.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 AM

The wires are up high and to the left of the steering column. Take off the bottom cover under the column. Then look up and left. You should see a gold colored ground bolt. The wiring harness you are looking for is above and to the left of this bolt. You will see the violet wires in the bundle. Note that the vt/wt and vt/gy wires looked very similar and it was a little difficult for me to distinguish between the two. A good flashlight will help in determining the wires. There are some color pictures on this site that will help. http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/Pr...tegoryId=45807

It took me and my father in law about 3hrs from start to finish and that was with taking a break for lunch. The instructions are a little misleading when they say to the left of the steering column. They are more behind the dimmer switch. Hope this helps or you have already figured it out.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteMule
They are more behind the dimmer switch. Hope this helps or you have already figured it out.
Thanks for the reply, WhiteMule. I did figure it out yesterday and got them installed. The only thing I don't like is that the steps take up room next to the frame rails and that's where I was going to install my compressor and air tank for my onboard air. Oh well, I'll just have to find another location for them.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 PM

oh yeah, the joy of getting to those wires, upside down feet on the headliner. ahhh...after having them though, I would not do it any other way.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mjbarr99,

How do you like the steps? I'm thinking of getting a set, the guys in Reno want $1500 to install them. Is it worth the $$ to install myself?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 PM

love my amp steps.
my air compresser and tank are mounted on the inside of the frame in front of the fuel tank.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by SCCSURF
mjbarr99,

How do you like the steps? I'm thinking of getting a set, the guys in Reno want $1500 to install them. Is it worth the $$ to install myself?
Well, I'm not who you asked the question to but I'll try to answer.
So far I love these steps. I haven't had them but a week and I've had many people ask to open and shut the doors. They are cool. The second part of the answer is that they are very functional. My wife had back surgery last year and had a very hard time getting in and out of my truck. Unlike most nerf bars, they extend down and out enough to be actually useful. My wife used the term WOW! when she used them.
I was quoted the same price to have them installed. The installation is a piece of cake. I'm glad I didn't pay someone $400+ to install these. Read my first post in this thread and then take a look at the link. Also I found a way to save a few bucks on these.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 PM

tempforce, and WhiteMule,

Thanks for the info, I've seen them on a few trucks in town and they look really good. As you see I have a 6" lift and 37" tires, and my wife has to strain to get into my truck. I also live in a snowy area and wondering if they would work with all the snow and ice build up on the frame and steps.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 PM

Can't help you on the last part. Where I'm from snow is rare! However, I've heard other people say that they had no problems. I am thinking that I might install a little shield in front of them to keep the tires from potentially throwing mud on them.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 PM

mjbarr99,

I've only had them for a few days, but I love them. It's a big help when I have to put my 1 yr old son in his car seat. I did the install by myself (took about 4 hours) and the biggest pain was trying to locate the door wires and installing the posi-taps. You will need a right angle drill and a pop rivet tool to install the brackets. I was able to use my right angle die grinder to drill the 1/8" hole.

I bought mine from http://www.electricstep.com and they are offering a $200 rebate on them.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 AM

Thanks guys, great info. Just saving some more money and there mine.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 AM

tempforce, and WhiteMule,

Thanks for the info, I've seen them on a few trucks in town and they look really good. As you see I have a 6" lift and 37" tires, and my wife has to strain to get into my truck. I also live in a snowy area and wondering if they would work with all the snow and ice build up on the frame and steps.
With the lift and bigger tires you might also want to consider the extension for them. They have a 2-3" extension you can put into them for the BIG trucks to drop the step down a bit farther. Although when using the extension it does not tuck the steps all the way up outta sight like it does when not using the extension.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:15 PM

Wiring help

I am not installing the Amp steps but am trying to wire light on my steps that will operate independently with each door. I have located the 4 violet wires mentioned above. And I don't know much about this, but are these wired like a positive ground or something? With the doors open and the test light hooked to one of the wires I get nothing on the test light. But with the doors closed and the key on, and I stick the test light to the wire the indicator on the dash ("door") comes on. So I've got the correct wires I believe but not exactly sure how to wire them. I know this thread is very old but really hoping someone out there can help.
Thanks in advance