3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Alright...Here's my list of mods. What next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright...Here's my list of mods. What next?

to make a long story short, at one of my oil changes an air filter got put in that was wrong, and my turbo sucked it in and chewed it up. now i'm waiting for my new turbo to come in and get installed, which should be this week sometime. i figured that now is as good of a time as any to replace the stock turbo...

2005 dodge cummins 2500 auto quadcab
sps 62 turbo
quadzilla race box (0-60-100-140)

i need to put an air intake on it, which i'll likely do when i get it back, but what else? i figure that my next major "mod" will be a built trans/converter. should i swap the quad box for a smarty or something like that?

brad
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trans/converter should be next. It's alot of money but well worth it, imho.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:41 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trik396
Trans/converter should be next. It's alot of money but well worth it, imho.
Do that, then add a smarty with you quad.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by STANGGT40
to make a long story short, at one of my oil changes an air filter got put in that was wrong, and my turbo sucked it in and chewed it up. now i'm waiting for my new turbo to come in and get installed, which should be this week sometime. i figured that now is as good of a time as any to replace the stock turbo...

2005 dodge cummins 2500 auto quadcab
sps 62 turbo
quadzilla race box (0-60-100-140)

i need to put an air intake on it, which i'll likely do when i get it back, but what else? i figure that my next major "mod" will be a built trans/converter. should i swap the quad box for a smarty or something like that?

brad
Hey brad...if you want to go on the cheap, you can build a simple intake for the truck. Couple rubber elbows and a piece of 4" pipe, or you can use the MPC Eliminator pipe and replace the filter with a BHAF or Uni filter. Way cheaper than a $400 AFE setup.

http://genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPC-EP

Transmission is the big one..after that its time to stack. I would look into a fuel pump too. These stock lift pumps suck and its cheap insurance. Id go with a glacier diesel setup. Uses a walbro pump and is quiet. The cheap way is a Holley blue pump and some misc fittings for $125.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
Hey brad...if you want to go on the cheap, you can build a simple intake for the truck. Couple rubber elbows and a piece of 4" pipe, or you can use the MPC Eliminator pipe and replace the filter with a BHAF or Uni filter. Way cheaper than a $400 AFE setup.

http://genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPC-EP

Transmission is the big one..after that its time to stack. I would look into a fuel pump too. These stock lift pumps suck and its cheap insurance. Id go with a glacier diesel setup. Uses a walbro pump and is quiet. The cheap way is a Holley blue pump and some misc fittings for $125.
****, i like the cheap air intake idea...i figure that i'll probably jump on a tranny this winter...i'm too busy to keep the truck down for any period of time in the summer.

do you think that i should stack the smarty with my quadzilla race box or something else? oh yeah, what about injectors?

brad
Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 AM

btw, where should i go for the trans/converter...and how much should i be looking at spending?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 AM

btw, where should i go for the trans/converter...and how much should i be looking at spending?
I dont know squat about stacking... Most people seem to go with TST and something else.

As far as transmissions... Id get a Goerend transmission and have it installed here locally. James down in Midlothian does DTT transmissions. I have heard a lot of good stuff about him but Im not the biggest fan of DTT stuff. For a fully built transmission, flexplate and tq converter...you figure its probably going to run you $6000-7000
Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
I dont know squat about stacking... Most people seem to go with TST and something else.

As far as transmissions... Id get a Goerend transmission and have it installed here locally. James down in Midlothian does DTT transmissions. I have heard a lot of good stuff about him but Im not the biggest fan of DTT stuff. For a fully built transmission, flexplate and tq converter...you figure its probably going to run you $6000-7000
wow...i was thinking it would be in the $4k-$5k range!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:56 AM

I wish... Hell, David over on dfwstangs was going to pay $7500 for a built trans from ATS.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 AM

you can do it for that without all the billet shafts. all the shafts raise the price about 2200. every tranny builder I talked to said get the billet input & a better flexplate. a builder should be able to upgrade what you got. if you planned on 4-5 and thats in the budget you could alot of work done for that. If you dont plan on huge power or racing & pulling you dont need all the shafts.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:41 PM

i talked to wes snow at sm diesel (he's doing the sps 62 turbo), and he told me that he works with a local "dtt" dealer/installer, so i might go that route. he agreed with the 7k numbers as well! ****, diesels are expensive to modify!

brad