3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AirDog150 pressure fluctuations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirDog150 pressure fluctuations?

I'm running an AirDog150 on my truck and periodically I get these weird fluctuations in fuel pressure. It will sit at 15psi then quickly go down to 12psi or so and then slowly climb back up to 15psi and then drop back down and slowly climb back up again. This happens at all types of driving conditions, idling, cruising on the freeway, in stop and go, etc. I've checked for leaks, even gone so far as to replace all the hoses but it still does the same thing. There is not a drop of fuel leaking anywhere, so I don't think I have a leak there anywhere.

I thought maybe there could be a problem with my canister, such as it only doing it at certain fuel levels, but it just kinda does it at random. Today, I noticed that it was a rock solid 15psi (I have two 2 micron filters) and the pressure wouldn't budge except when I really got on it. It was 19 degrees when I started the truck up today and I drove it for about two hours on the freeway and thru some residential, and it stayed put. I even went and got fuel to see if it would affect it, but it stayed at 15psi. I just pulled the truck into my garage to see if it had something to do with the temps (I know, I'm reaching!), so next time I leave I'll see if that has anything to do with it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks,

Jared
Old 01-20-2009, 11:54 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Same problem here. Mine fluctuates anywhere from 10-18lbs. The pump motor sounds like it's going out. Jumped the red and yellow wires in the relay to activate the pump and it starts pumping but quickly dies down to a whine and will sometimes stop all together. Talked to AD on the phone yesterday and was told to pull the black cover from the back of the pump motor and pull the Gerotor out and see if it's rubbing on anything. If it is they will replace it but I would hate to find nothing and then have it go out on me on the road somewhere. Will post results tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Hey Jared,
Mine does the same thing but maybe worse. It will actually drop to zero for a split second. But it fluctuates between 17 and 12. It did it the first week I put it on and has done the same thing ever since.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Yah, something is definitely wrong! I'm gonna pull the geroter tomorrow and see if anything is rubbing, like "jhenson" is doing. If not, I'll give them a call. Any word on when the new adjustable pressure AirDog is coming out?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The only time mine does this is when it is real cold outside and yes it will do it after the grid heaters have cut off. It seems as when the fuel heats up a little I have no issues. My pressure never drops below 17 psi being as I have that spring in for the regulator.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Have you guys had any problems with these being very loud. Mine sounds horrible, I can not find any leaks. Not sure what the fix would be.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:01 PM

You can hear it but it is not that loud. It depends on what you think is loud and that is an opinion. If it is extremely loud then you may have an air leak in the suction line. You have a procedure in the Airdog manual to do if this is happening and a fix.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Every time I turn on the key people ask what is wrong with my truck.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by CoolumConst
Have you guys had any problems with these being very loud. Mine sounds horrible, I can not find any leaks. Not sure what the fix would be.
Dude mines loud as well, my fix is gonna be a Mitusa from Opie, not sayin the Airdog isnt a good unit, its never gave me a problem except the noise.... and I cant stand it!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Mine isn't TOO noticeable when the truck is running, but if I do remote start, it kicks it on for about 10-15 seconds before the truck turns on, and it is very noticeable then
Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Every time I turn on the key people ask what is wrong with my truck.
:-) You got that right...first thing my wife said when i got mine installed...i was thinking i had an air leak as mines pretty loud....esp noticable when you turn key and wait for wait to start light to go out....or when programming the smarty....
Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 PM

I've been trying to get an answer to this problem for a while now:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=228605

This started as what I initially thought was water in fuel(but it wasnt and the multiple fuel samples showed that). The fluctuations in the engine and then the dropping in fuel pressure ultimatly leading to the pump blowing fuses. When you'd go to start the truck the pump would put out this pathetic whine and attempt to get out 10-15 psi, after the truck was started it would run 30 seconds to a minute at those pressures and then it would blow a fuse.

I left a message with AD on Saturday and they did get back with me Monday morning. With the instructions to on the side with the water separator there is a cap with four head bolts. Pull that and see if there is any junk clogging things up. Also check for gear wear and if there is anything call them back. I would assume as Jhenson was told that the pumps would need replaced.

Now In my case this was all to late. My truck had been dead or not running correctly for atleast a week by Sat. and I spent most of the day Friday laying under the truck in snow chasing problems in -15 degree weather. I was so sick Saturday from being out in the cold my wife finally called the towing company and had the truck towed down to Enterprise Engine Performance over 2 hours away. I haven't seen the bill yet for that but I'm assuming its at least $350. This pump was only a year old and I'll hear from EEP what the verdict is on the pump tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
Hey Jared,
Mine does the same thing but maybe worse. It will actually drop to zero for a split second. But it fluctuates between 17 and 12. It did it the first week I put it on and has done the same thing ever since.
Sounds like you're sucking air. How much fuel at the time? You use a draw straw or canister mod? Return goes to the filler neck?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jaredb900rr
Mine isn't TOO noticeable when the truck is running, but if I do remote start, it kicks it on for about 10-15 seconds before the truck turns on, and it is very noticeable then
Yours sounds the same as mine. Seems normal and not too bad to me.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:54 PM

not trying to start anything but have you ever heard a fass pump?
there arent exactly quiet either

Quick Reply: AirDog150 pressure fluctuations?