3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog/Raptor Long Term Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airdog/Raptor Long Term Reliability?

Im looking to buy my fuel pump here in the next couple of days, I thought I had my mind made up with a MITUSA but im still not sold on its dependablity when put into more extreme conditions aka the pump and belt completely submerged in mud/water or random **** getting lodged into the belt and/or worse case the entire pump getting hit with a rock and getting knocked off. Although I have seen on here talk of getting the pump mounted ontop of the motor ive never seen a pic of it done or saw if anyone has done it sooo onto my question.

Ive also been lookin hard at the Airdog/Raptor especially since my lift pump is still mounted up by my fuel filter I can install it inline and not get any 1/4 tank issues. Just lookin for some input on how long some of your guys have been running either pump and if ya had any trouble with it. I know eventually a electric pump will burn up but really lookin to see some with high mileage/hard use under there belts and still goin strong.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 PM

If you can knock off a Mitusa...I will give you 100 bucks.

My Raptor has been great for 10k...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

the Raptor has a " lifetime " warranty and the AirDog is back also most as well. They would never let you down if something were to happen to the AirDog. IMO, the choice is clear :-)
Old 10-13-2008, 05:35 PM

lol...

I guess that is the best way to look at it. My Raptor can break if it wants too...because the replacement is free.

lol

Sorry about the hijack...

Tritont...what Thuren parts are you running now...he is the man!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

all the front linkage. I agree... he builds them well !
Old 10-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Ive decided to go with a Airdog 150 I like the added filtration and whatnot and lifetime warranty isnt so bad either. I figure if I end up not liking it for whatever reason ill pick up a mitusa and be done with it.

But am I reading all the older posts I searched right about how I should be able to install it in-line without needing to drop my tank due to the fact that I still have my pump mounted up on the fuel filter?? Just tryin to clarify before it gets here.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

BD Max Flow

Sorry to hijack but our NEW BD Max Flow Pumps out flow the competitors, come with a 5 year warranty and are virtually silent.

BD Max Flow Pump
Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@BD Power
Sorry to hijack but our NEW BD Max Flow Pumps out flow the competitors, come with a 5 year warranty and are virtually silent.

BD Max Flow Pump
My RAPTOR 150 comes with a life time warrenty, flows more than most street trucks can use and I can't hear it run! (rubber mounted)

So what it the flow of the Max?

Dustin
Old 10-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Snoxracer
My RAPTOR 150 comes with a life time warrenty, flows more than most street trucks can use and I can't hear it run! (rubber mounted)

Dustin
No knock against the RAPTOR, I know it is a good kit and we all use the rubber mounts. The only way to know the Max Flow is running is to be your hand on it.

-10% smaller and 16dB quieter than competitive products
-150 GPH at 10psi, 165 GPH full flow (meaning even at 10PSI it will still flow 150GPH)
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Snoxracer

Dustin
Thi smight be a dumb question, but what is this "rubber mount" trick? My Rapor 150 is loud as heck!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by goose2w1
Thi smight be a dumb question, but what is this "rubber mount" trick? My Rapor 150 is loud as heck!
Not a dumb question.. until the BD Flow Max most after market lift pumps were noisy as heck so rubber mounts (noise isolators) are mounted between the pump bracket and frame rail so the noise and vibration does not resonate through the rest of the truck.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Euronymous
I can install it inline and not get any 1/4 tank issues. Just lookin for some input .
It is all in the install!!

Most of the 1/4 issues come from the install. If you drop the tank the tank changes shape, say you take it out with a tranny jack, as soon as you drop the tank the jack pushes the tank up in the middle. Most people cut the draw straw while it is on the jack and once you reinstall it the bottom of the tank drops back down and leaves a big gap between the tank and draw straw.

The best method for the draw straw is taking the bed off. Four or six bolts and a ground strap then lift it off. I did it by myself but use a couple of buddies, very easy and you don't have to worry how much fuel is in the tank. You will have the bed off faster then dropping the tank.

There are some ideas of using the liberty canister but I have not read much on those. I have been way under an 1/8th of a tank where my overhead read 15 miles left and never an issue with with the draw straw picking up fuel.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Change of plans, canceled the AD and going with a MITUSA, lookin to collect that 100 bucks.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by CoolumConst
It is all in the install!!

Most of the 1/4 issues come from the install. If you drop the tank the tank changes shape, say you take it out with a tranny jack, as soon as you drop the tank the jack pushes the tank up in the middle. Most people cut the draw straw while it is on the jack and once you reinstall it the bottom of the tank drops back down and leaves a big gap between the tank and draw straw.

The best method for the draw straw is taking the bed off. Four or six bolts and a ground strap then lift it off. I did it by myself but use a couple of buddies, very easy and you don't have to worry how much fuel is in the tank. You will have the bed off faster then dropping the tank.

There are some ideas of using the liberty canister but I have not read much on those. I have been way under an 1/8th of a tank where my overhead read 15 miles left and never an issue with with the draw straw picking up fuel.
Not always true...there are some of us who have the Liberty Canister and still have 1/4 tank issues. The AD150 pulls too much fuel for the canister to keep up. If the return is dumped into the canister, then no problems.

Here is a link to so far 6 pages of discussion on this issue...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=220183

Also, do you have a FP gauge??? If not, then I bet that if you put one on and get below 1/4 tank you too have FP issues that you just know about!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave@BD Power

BD Max Flow Pump
When installing this kit on the '06 - '07 trucks do you leave the stock in-tank pump in place?

Quick Reply: Airdog/Raptor Long Term Reliability?