3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog Install..Help Me Troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airdog Install..Help Me Troubleshoot

So I installed the my airdog 150 two weeks ago with the help of wyododge06 in the garage. Install went pretty good, took a little longer than expected but overall prett straight forward. Since then I have put approximately 500 miles on the truck.

My syptoms when driving are....
P0088-Fuel rail pressure signal above limit
P0148-High pressure common rail (HPRC) checksum
Surging while driving, and especially cruising if I can get the truck up to speed. The problem first started yesterday coming home from work. I noticed a slight surge with the cruise set at 70. At first it was barely noticable, but withing a few miles the truck would die while driving. By the time I got back into town, the truck would die every few miles or so and if more than 1/4 throttle was applied, the truck would fall flat on its face and die. I got the truck back to the house, pulled the two codes above and did some research on here.

After that, I set the truck back to stock everything with the smarty and went for another drive. The truck did the same as mentioned above. In the ten miles I drove the truck on the test, it died six times. Everytime it would die the truck would take longer and longer to start, like it was pushing air into the motor instead of fuel.

So once I got the truck home I checked the airdog which was running, checked the cp3 and airdog fuel line to cp3, which were all tight and in order. I cracked an injector line and cyceled the key to see if fuel would flow and there was barely any, mostly just air and bubbles.

Not having the time to dig into a full trouble shoot, wyododge06 and I just unhooked the airdog and put the stock lift pump back into action. Once the stock lift pump was being used I took the truck for a drive and experienced zero problems. No surging, dying out and full power. No codes were thrown with the stock lift pump being used.

So today I called and spoke with airdog for while and got a list of places to start checking. I have undone all the inlet bolts on the airdog, wrapped threads with thread sealer and reinstalled. After that, we put some fuel hose in a 5 gallon bucket with diesel fuel in it and yes, the airdog sucket fuel from the bucket. After that, we undid the fuel line running to the cp3 and cycled the key, which did push fuel through the system. We reinstalled the cp3 fittings and unhooked the stock fuel pump and fired the truck up. On test drive the two codes had popped withing 4 miles, and the truck was back to surging and not even close to full power.

It seems like the pump is pushing air or nothing at all to the motor. All hoses/connections have been checked 2 or 3 times by 2 of us. Anybody have any idea what else I can look for? I will be calling airdog tomorrow, just thought I would throw this out there just incase.

As of right now, the truck is hooked back up to the stock lift pump, and is running great. No codes, no surging and full power.

Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to be detailed.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta be a problem with the drawstraw, or whatever the pickup in the tank is.....
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 AM
KKB

How much fuel did you have in the tank when this happened? There have been alot of posts about 1/4 tank fuel issues.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 AM

X2 on the drawstraw or whatever you used for getting the fuel out of the tank. the same thing happened to me when i installed my 150 and it turned out to be a kinked suction line in my modded canister. mad it a bit shorter and good to go.

HotRod
Old 06-26-2009, 07:31 AM

I'll be watching this thread as I'm going to be installing an AirDog. Please post your fix.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM

This may sound stupid, but... Are you sure the return port is going to the tank and the output to the cp3 is going to the cp3? Almost sounds like the two are backwards.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Ace, that is the only thing left to check. Wyododge and I spent a lot of time and talked to numerous people that had installed the draw straw before we started mine. I really do not think the straw is too short. Would it be possible for the straw to be a little too long and as the fuel level becomes less, the tank rises and possibly seals with the draw straw so to speak?

KKB, driving home when the problem initially started I had over a half tank of fuel.

HOBrian, nothing sounds stupid at this point! I just got off the phone with airdog, and was under the truck with a flashlight reading off exactly what lines were where in the airdog and where they were headed.

The only thing I can think of is the draw straw might be cut a little too long. There are no kinks, or twists in the fuel lines. Thanks for the opinions guys. Airdog said they would be calling me back shortly.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
DTR Advertiser

One thing you can try doing with the draw straw is to cut a little v notch in it so there is no chance of it sort of sealing up against the tank. I have seen that before.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pat beat me to it!!! v-notch!!!! or a C-notch!!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 AM

I have 3 small v nothces cut in it. The are just under half a centimeter deep (approx.) Should they be deeper than this?

I just got off the phone with airdog, and after talking to them I am going to send the pump into them so they can check it out. They have been very good and easy to work with so far.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Stovetop535
I have 3 small v nothces cut in it. The are just under half a centimeter deep (approx.) Should they be deeper than this?

I just got off the phone with airdog, and after talking to them I am going to send the pump into them so they can check it out. They have been very good and easy to work with so far.

That should be more than enough. Dont think that will be the problem then.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:38 AM

Well that is good to know. I really do not want to pull the bed, or drop the tank again.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

I saw no pressure readings. Do you have a supply gage to see what the pump is sending fuel at?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 AM

I do not have my gauge yet. I am very patiently waiting for quads gauge to be ready for shipping.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by HOBrian
This may sound stupid, but... Are you sure the return port is going to the tank and the output to the cp3 is going to the cp3? Almost sounds like the two are backwards.
X2, I would double check this before sending the pump back. Sounds exactly like the feed and return are backwards.

Quick Reply: Airdog Install..Help Me Troubleshoot