3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog or Glacier

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imills,

Good to hear you're on board. If the fuel requirements of 1125 hp are such that the AirDog 150 isn't enough, the SuperDog 250 should do it. If that isn't big enough either, we have an FP-650 that handles 12' tall by 25' long 14,200 cu. in. EMD locomotive engines. I guess if you had an engine like that, it would be a question of whether you would mount it between the frame rails or pull it on a trailer.

A good Rule of Thumb, the noise issue of a pump is more about precision machining, etc. than design. Plain and simple, the closer the tolerences, the more precision the fit, the quieter the pump, the longer it lasts.

The AirDogs also have an additional feature, EvacU Seal Technology. The shaft seal bores on all Fuel Peporator Systems and Raptor Fuel Pumps (oops, I wasn't suppose to say anything about the new fuel pump line) operate under a vacuum instead of a pressure like all standard pumps.

Charlie
Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Imills, which version of the Airdog did you install to support 800+ hp -
I;m guessing the AD 250?

Mr Ekstram, I appreciate your comments - I don't really understand how your unit gets the air out - is there something besides a filter and water separator involved in this thing. The universal post is that the motor runs better -
I do appreciate you taking the time to respond...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 PM

I am trying the 150 GPH system first to see how it performs. If memory serves correctly, the Walbros flow around 80 GPH. If the 150 doesn't get the job done, there is always the bigger ones as Charlie mentioned.

Unfortunately I did not have time to plumb in the fuel pressure gauge today. We had a targetted time of noon to leave and I did not get the pump installed tll 1:00, so I will have to plumb the gauge in later. I would like to see how the pressure holds up with the dual CP3's
Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 AM

Mr Mcneal,

Since you asked, here's how it works. As everyone that has ever replaced a primary filter on a class 8 truck knows, the filter is always an inch or so low. Cummins explained this in the 1965 Service Topice 5-135. "The void or air-vapor cavity is caused by the phenomenon of wetted porous paper resistance to air or vapor passage." In other words, the fuel goes through the filter but not the air. The question of how much air is in the fuel is answered by Caterpillars Special Instruction 651-1250, which states that there is up to 10% air in fuel.

I am going to tell you the how the air is separated but, you must keep it a secret, Promise!! OK!

On a vacuum feed system (primary filter) as the fuel enters the dirty side of the filter the air is separated as the Cummins Service Topic states. The service topic also says that the filters that were not low when removed were of inferior quality to the FleetGuard filters. The reason being that large pore filter media has less wetted resistance to air or vapor passage, (7"H20 on competitive element and 10"H20 on Cummins-Fleetguard). This means that the pressure differential between the dirty side of the filter media and inside or clean side of the must be kept lower than 10" H20. The pump on the Preporator system pumps the fuel through the filter, the entrained air is stripped off or separated by the wetted filter element, the air must then be able to float to the top of the filter where it escapes through a tiny port into the return line back to the tank. This 'return air port' enters the return passage after the return regulator. This is so that as the regulator restricts the return flow of fuel to the tank in order to maintain the necessary pressure flow of fuel to the engine, the separated air will be allowed to exit the filter.The air free fuel then passes through the filter media and into the interior or cleanside of the filter media.

Between the nipple that secures the filter and a pickup tube coming down through the center of the nipple that carries the fuel from the bottom of the filter interior, there is a port that carries the fuel the engine doesn't need back to the tank. (All Fuel Preporator Systems pump more fuel than the engine needs.) In this return port there is a pressure regulator that creates restriction to the return to tank flow to maintain the necessary pressure out to the engine. The function of the return to tank port is to vent or discharge the air from inside the filter during filter changes or any air that may be trapped inside the filter media or randomly pass through the media during operation.

Simply put, the fuel is pumped into the filter. Air, separated by the wetted filter element floats to the top and returns to the tank through the primary gas exit port. (the tiny hole on the dirty side of the filter) The air free fuel passes through the filter media. Fuel going to the engine enters the bottom of the pickup tube, the fuel the engine doesn't need returns to the tank through the passsageway between the nipple and the pickup tube. a regulator in the return to tank port maintains pressure to the engine. The air separated by the filter enters the return to tank passage after the regulator. Any air in the filter from filter changes or randomnly passing through the filter during operation can flow with the return fuel to the tank.

In the early Fuel Preporators, the filter had to be very large (5" od) in order to slow the incoming rate of fuel to below the float rate of the bubbles to allow the air to rise and be discharged. Max flow for the 5"od filters was about 135gph. Also as the regulator closes, it will block the return flow of fuel and also any air from inside the filter from going to the tank and send all of the air to the engine. Think about it, without the primary gas (air) exit port, once the regulator closes or the flow to the engine is to fas t (typo) all air passing through the filter will go to the engine. On the average 3.75 od filter, this will happen at about 40 gph. Any air trapped on the clean side of the filter will suddenly pass to the engine. This will not happen with the Fuel Preporator simply because the primary exit port on the dirty prevents the air from passing to the inside of the filter.

To be able to separate the air from the fuel at a very high flow rate, another feature has been added to the system (also patented, of course). These are the flow dividers, the little Delrin plastic 'flaps' protruding down on each side of the filter nipple. When the filter is attached, these flow dividers separate the area between the filter head and the filter nut plate into an inlet side and an outlet side. This causes the fuel to flow down into the filter on one side and sweep the separated air bubbles around to the other side of filter element where the can rise unrestricted to pass through the primary exit port. This feature allows the 3.75" od filter on the SuperDog 250 to separate air from the fuel at 300 gph and the little 3.2" od filter on the AirDog to separate air from the fuel at 150+ gph. Without the primary gas exit port on the dirty side of the filter and the flow dividers, air passes very easily to the engine.

The interesting thing is, when you research the patent history of attempted fuel air separation attempts, it has been going on since before 1900. Individuals and companys from all over the world. They all missed it.

I hope this wasn't too long and it answers your questions. As I build the company, PureFlow Technologies, and theweb page, I will be making all of the studies, university test results, lab reports, etc. readily available to the public. If you go to our temporary web site you will see some of the testing reports.

Again, I hope that I haven't bored everyone. Thanks for your interest.

Charlie
ps: please excuse any typo's!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 AM

man it just seems like the pure flow (airdog) guys don't know nuthin' about diesel fuelin'! JUST KIDDING! i'm ordering the airdog 100 next week- thanx for taking the time to go over all of this. i guess thats why so many ctd owners i know have started using airdog over fass.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fuel Preporator
53 ******,

The AirDog is... First, let me explain so there is no misunderstanding, my name is Charles Ekstam and I am the inventor of the Fuel Preporator, Airdog, etc. This probably puts me in the catagory of vendor.

That being said, the AirDog is available as the FP-100 at 100 gph and as the FP-150 at 150 gph. To explain why the size of the fuel supply line is so important, diesel fuel will begin to vaporize at a vacuum of 12 to 14 inches hg, at room temperature. Because of this, the ID of the supply must be large enough and the dry suction lift (how high the pump is aove the fuel level) must be low enough that together, the vacuum created does not exceed 12 inches hg. The AirDog 100 connected to the stock pickup will not exceed this. The AirDog 150 comes with an installation kit that includes a large ID pickup tube. Should the fuel temperature ever become high enough that the fuel begins to vaporize, the air separation features of the AirDog will separate the vapor and maintain the necessary pressure to the engine.

To give you peace of mind about pump life, the electric motor on the AirDog has the same identical brushes and commutator as the model that has consistently lasted more 600,000 miles on class 8 trucks. See the 2005 Overdrive magazine article on the 'Million Mile Engine'. Three of the OTR drivers featured attributed the long life of there 3406B Cat engines, with 1.3, 1.2, & 1.2 million miles respectively, to regular maintainence and the Fuel Preporator. Additionally, all Fuel Preporator systems including the AirDogs have a built in bypass in case the pump should fail.

I hope this answers your questions.

Charlie
thanks for the response Charlie....sounds like you have a great set up..
what fleetguard filters does it use??
the old rumors where you had to use airdog filters and they where spendy???
Thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Banned

Good Morning 53 ******,

Thank you! The fuel filters are $14.99 and the water separators are $19.99 (I think). The good part is that if you are lucky and get fuel from a good station the fuel filter lasts. I've had the same fuel filter on my 1999 24valve for over 100,000 miles. The water separator you can just shake it dump it, and its good to go. Don't replace the WS unless it gets damaged or it has been on so long its just ugly!

Our filters are a darn good buy. And yes, they are made by Fleetguard.

If you have questions that are longer, you can reach me through the office at 573-635-0555.

Always glad to help,

Charlie
Kinda stranger this turned into a BIG Airdog Ad. I have to say Charlie, it sounds like you have a nice product but, completely unnecessary for many applications

The newer trucks anyway, remove the air from the lines automatically. Maybe not as well as your set up but, enough that these trucks will run well over 100K or 200K never having installed a Airdog.

The person who started this thread stated he wasn't looking for a lot of power. For that reason, there's no reason for him to a pump that flows 100 or 150gph.

You said you didn't agree with me.... about what ? I didn't say anything that wasn't correct. All the pumps may not be completely equal but, for the hp this person cares about.... one of your systems is over kill. Your pumps may be pretty reliable but, and even you said it... they could go out. Then where would you be? I just pointed out the walbro is a lot more serviceable than one of these other pumps.

I know your system has been around a good while but, it's definitely not the cure all setup no matter how many Cummins quotes you make :-)

Thanks for taking to time to write or paste everything.

I'm not or did I knock your product but, this has turned out like those threads over at TDR talking about a Frantz toilet paper oil filter. Nothing else is better in their eye!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Banned

I'd also like to add.... I run my feed pressure at 12psi. I was able to make 700hp and not drop the pressure at all. I don't know at what point I would loose it but, may guess is well into 8 or 900hp if then.

I'm not saying either that the walbro is all that but, IMO.... it's a much simpler application and much more serviceable.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:22 AM

I guess it a matter of perspective - I appreciate the info - but I have bought the system befor this "ad"- not because it removes air but because to me it appears to be about as simple to install as anything I have looked at and it filters better than stock.

There are hundreds of walbro threads going back to Superduty getting banned for his dogmatic (pun intended) view of a proper system. So whats
wrong with a new vendor giving info on his own system. I did ask him to explain how he got the air out -

Anyway, Ya'll have a great day - I'm going to woods.,
Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 AM

Ad vs technical info.

Tritont,

Maybe I missed the something or miss read it, your post #12 started: neither remove the air... Also, I didn't paste the reply, I stayed up way past my normal bedtime to respond (and the wine bottle wasn't empty yet)

Please don't take my post as an ad or negative comment towards any other product. I sincerely mean that. We have all been using pumps of different types, brands, sizes and shapes for a long time and the quality of these products is proven by the fact that they are still in use and have an excellent record of performance. I was not intending to start anything. My point was that air in fuel has always been a performance and an engine wear problem. High flow hydraulic systems are a good example of the realization of the need to deal with the problems of cavitation, foam and entrained air. The anti foaming agent market is big because of this.

In a fuel injection system receiving fuel from a tank with air being continually entrained in the fuel by the sloshing from vehicle bounce, etc. and agitation from the return flow of fuel from the engine, a pump and a filter by itself will only remove water and particulates while the air is passed on the injection system. The need to remove the air to maximize performance and reduce or even eliminate a source of engine component wear or even failure, I think we all recognize, don't you? Since we most all recognize this, don't you think that a means to eliminate or at the least reduce the problem would be of value to us?

Anyway, Walbro makes good pumps. Always has and most likely will continue to keep up the tradition!

Charlie

Last edited by Fuel Preporator; 11-10-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: missed the point!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned

Tritont,

Maybe I missed the something or miss read it, your post #12 started: neither remove the air... Also, I didn't paste the reply, I stayed up way past my normal bedtime to respond (and the wine bottle wasn't empty yet)

Please don't take my post as an ad or negative comment towards any other product. I sincerely mean that. We have all been using pumps of different types, brands, sizes and shapes for a long time and the quality of these products is proven by the fact that they are still in use and have an excellent record of performance. I was not intending to start anything. My point was that air in fuel has always been a performance and an engine wear problem. High flow hydraulic systems are a good example of the realization of the need to deal with the problems of cavitation, foam and entrained air. The anti foaming agent market is big because of this.

In a fuel injection system receiving fuel from a tank with air being continually entrained in the fuel by the sloshing from vehicle bounce, etc. and agitation from the return flow of fuel from the engine, a pump and a filter by itself will only remove water and particulates while the air is passed on the injection system. The need to remove the air to maximize performance and reduce or even eliminate a source of engine component wear or even failure, I think we all recognize, don't you? Since we most all recognize this, don't you think that a means to eliminate or at the least reduce the problem would be of value to us?

Anyway, Walbro makes good pumps. Always has and most likely will continue to keep up the tradition!

Charlie
I hear you man. I don't mean to sound like a walbro rep either as I'm not at all affiliated with them. I wasn't aware that your pump actually dealt with air since it's already taken care of from the factory. Air may not be a good thing but it's a good selling point, water is the killer and you've taken care of that. My whole big thing about your pump and a FASS is the integrated pump, not the filtration.

I personally like that a walbro pump is cheap, very reliable and easily replaced. That was a big selling point for me and I was just relaying that. Yes, yours and the others pumps may never have a problem which is great, I just pointed out that if there were it's not as easy of a fix.

If I were to go on a trip, no matter how reliable a pump is.... I'd rather be able to go into my glove box, get a new pump and install it on the side of the road, than to call a tow truck, get a hold of another integrated pump and wait for it to be sent to me. This is the only point I wanted to make :-)

With the hp I'm looking for I may not be able to use the walbro long myself and will have to change to something that pumps more.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 PM

I've been researching all the systems for the past few week before I buy, and I appreciate the info and professionalism from Fuel Prep. Been leaning for a while toward the Airdodog since it has all the features I'm looking for at a good price. Not sure what the beef is, but if an ad is stating the features, merits, or favor of any product then I've read as much Glacier/Walbro ad in this thread as Airdog. Be placin an order next week after payday.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
............If I were to go on a trip, no matter how reliable a pump is.... I'd rather be able to go into my glove box, get a new pump and install it on the side of the road, than to call a tow truck, get a hold of another integrated pump and wait for it to be sent to me. This is the only point I wanted to make :-)

With the hp I'm looking for I may not be able to use the walbro long myself and will have to change to something that pumps more.
You can plumb a pump inline with a FASS system to push through the FASS if the pump was to fail. The regulator will still work too to keep the pressure where you want it, assuming your backup pump has enough volume.

You wouldn't want to do this on a working pump since the added pump would likely cause a restriction.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what set-up you get NONE of them will leave you on the side of the road unless you plumb it wrong or dont think ahead.....
if you dont have a Walbro in your glove box good luck finding a replacement at autozone or wherever........
Old 11-10-2007, 07:21 PM

I can say i have been very pleased with mine and neat install and simple.

Quick Reply: Airdog or Glacier