3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog or Glacier

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
I thought you left the factory pump in the tank and if there ever was a problem with the FASS or Air dog pump you just reconnect you factory pump wires and lines..and your good to go???
does the airdog come with a new pick-up tube????
same goes for a walbro if you hook it up that way. I removed my feed line cause it's easy enough to replace the pump.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:20 AM

I have the Airdog and I couldn't be happier. I'm not saying the other pumps aren't good as well, this is my first after market pump. The one thing I might add is that tritont made a good piont about the pump going out and leaveing you stranded. However I actually left my stock fuel pump in and made a swith so that I can switch from either the Airdog or stock pump. Just as a safty measure is guess.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 AM

I have money in my hand, ready to buy one of these systems, but can't pull the trigger because of the 1/4-tank issue thingy. Hasn't someone figured out a way to use the factory pickup?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I have money in my hand, ready to buy one of these systems, but can't pull the trigger because of the 1/4-tank issue thingy. Hasn't someone figured out a way to use the factory pickup?

I've yet to have a problem with that. In GDP instructions, it says to cut the pick up tube. I didn't and put a screen on the end of it. The tube is long enough to bend and lay on the bottom of the tank. I also angled it towards the lowest part of the tank.

The screen I used isn't real fine so I'm not worried about it clogging. I also used a inline filter before the pump to keep crap of of it.

If you go with the big line kit, it will defeat it's purpose by using the factory pick up... if it could be used.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:36 PM

I have decided to go with Airdog - box arrived today. Why?
I like the way the Airdog installs - kinda tucks in and doesn't hang down past the frame - I could never figure where to install the dual filters w/Glacier-04.5 have the big apps thing that is in the way of the normal install place. Both can use Fleetguard filters. The Airdog furnishes .5 inch line from pump straight to the CP3 and a fitting that replaces the "restrictive" banjo bolt on the CP3.
I went with the 100GPH system - enough for me - you just disconnect the oem line from the in tank straw and slid the Airdog's on - disconnect the line from the oem pump ( on the filter housing) and connect the Airdogs. I plan to leave the oem system in place and if I ever sell this truck i can remove the Airdog and reconnect the stock pump.
I researched the hound out of this thing it is not a new system - most post are in other forums but no bad post did I find. There is a family connection to the Fass but there are more differences than there likenesses. Airdog promises a "quiet" pump - I will find out, and if I'm unhappy they offer a 90 day trial with refund option.
We all pay our money and take our own shot - besides I'm from Georgia and we love Dawg's.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Harley Hauler,
I must disagree withTritont. Please read my earlier post. For verification, all of the referenced tests and studies will be available on the PureFlow Technologies web site soon. You may receive copies of these tests and studies by contacting PureFlow Technologies, Inc., 5400 Business 50 West, Suite 8, Jefferson City, MO 65109.

To reiterate, fuel system damage caused by the presence of air/vapor as well performance and emission issues have been well known by the engine manufacturers for many years. The attempt to remedy these problems through the development the common rail system has been a great advance in diesel technology, but not a complete cure.

For a pretty good insite, go to the PureFlow Technologies temporary web site. It explains in layman terms how air/vapor in the fuel injection system of the diesel engine is the precusor to retarded injection timing and the ensuing issues of low power, excessive exhaust emissions, increased fuel consumption, damage to the injection system and excellerated engine wear from oil contaminated by fuel and excessive carbon particulates.

The issues are real and effect everyone, even those who do not drive diesels. Kids riding on diesel powered school buses are exposed to carcinogens (cancer causing agents found on diesel exhaust emissions) at twelve times the rate of the average adult.

Read any diesel engine manufacturer's repair/trouble shooting guide for low power and fuel system problems and you will see that the first items on the list of things to check are almost, if not always, air in fuel and fuel flow restriction!

(Somebody please take my soap box away.)

Charlie
Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcneal
I have decided to go with Airdog - box arrived today. Why?
I like the way the Airdog installs - kinda tucks in and doesn't hang down past the frame - I could never figure where to install the dual filters w/Glacier-04.5 have the big apps thing that is in the way of the normal install place. Both can use Fleetguard filters. The Airdog furnishes .5 inch line from pump straight to the CP3 and a fitting that replaces the "restrictive" banjo bolt on the CP3.
I went with the 100GPH system - enough for me - you just disconnect the oem line from the in tank straw and slid the Airdog's on - disconnect the line from the oem pump ( on the filter housing) and connect the Airdogs. I plan to leave the oem system in place and if I ever sell this truck i can remove the Airdog and reconnect the stock pump.
I researched the hound out of this thing it is not a new system - most post are in other forums but no bad post did I find. There is a family connection to the Fass but there are more differences than there likenesses. Airdog promises a "quiet" pump - I will find out, and if I'm unhappy they offer a 90 day trial with refund option.
We all pay our money and take our own shot - besides I'm from Georgia and we love Dawg's.
make a video clip of how loud it is when you get it installed....please..so yes you can use fleetguard filters with the airdog????I thought you had to use airdog filters only?????
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM

oh yeah and does airdog use a new pickup tube???
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 PM

I may try to do a photo shoot of the install depends on if I can get a rack or if I do it on my back in the drive way.

I verified w/airdog folks that filters will interchange with fleetguard they confirmed that they will I will try to get some #'s to cross reference. You notice that Airdog specificies filters contain "stratapore" media - I feel sure the Airdog filter is a rebadged fleetguard.

The stock draw tube on the 04.5 can be used with Airdog 100 - if you go to the Airdog 150 you must go to a larger .5" ID tube. Airdog can furnish the larger tube cost about $35. I didn't need the additional flow and I did not want to drop my tank. The units cost the same.

I don't know a lot about entrained air in diesel fuel or how this setup gets rid of it. I do know that 3 micron is smaller than 7 and the water separater has got to better than stock. The pump is a gerotor design. And Last but not Least the thing is MADE IN U.S.A.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 PM

What about the pickup for in-tank mounted lift pump trucks? I sent them an email about it today but haven't got an answer yet.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 PM

When I first put the GDP system in I purposely ran the tank way low do help with wrestling the tank around. On the way to get fuel I had to stop on a grade and killed the truck. I dont know how low I was but the low fuel light was on.

I have always refueled at around 1/4 tank and went once to about an 1/8th of a tank before refueling. All these times I've never had any problem but its always been on my mind, especially the time I went to 1/8th of a tank.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 PM

53 ******,

The AirDog is... First, let me explain so there is no misunderstanding, my name is Charles Ekstam and I am the inventor of the Fuel Preporator, Airdog, etc. This probably puts me in the catagory of vendor.

That being said, the AirDog is available as the FP-100 at 100 gph and as the FP-150 at 150 gph. To explain why the size of the fuel supply line is so important, diesel fuel will begin to vaporize at a vacuum of 12 to 14 inches hg, at room temperature. Because of this, the ID of the supply must be large enough and the dry suction lift (how high the pump is aove the fuel level) must be low enough that together, the vacuum created does not exceed 12 inches hg. The AirDog 100 connected to the stock pickup will not exceed this. The AirDog 150 comes with an installation kit that includes a large ID pickup tube. Should the fuel temperature ever become high enough that the fuel begins to vaporize, the air separation features of the AirDog will separate the vapor and maintain the necessary pressure to the engine.

To give you peace of mind about pump life, the electric motor on the AirDog has the same identical brushes and commutator as the model that has consistently lasted more 600,000 miles on class 8 trucks. See the 2005 Overdrive magazine article on the 'Million Mile Engine'. Three of the OTR drivers featured attributed the long life of there 3406B Cat engines, with 1.3, 1.2, & 1.2 million miles respectively, to regular maintainence and the Fuel Preporator. Additionally, all Fuel Preporator systems including the AirDogs have a built in bypass in case the pump should fail.

I hope this answers your questions.

Charlie
Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM

I just installed an airdog in my 05 earlier this morning and recently went on with them as a dealer. Tomorrow we will be dynoing at the NC dyno day. The truck previous laid down 817 HP on fuel with two walbros. Tomorrows test will be done with 1 airdog. There are a couple things I should point out that I noticed between the FASS and Airdog systems since I installed one of each this past week..

**wiring with relays, where as some of the FASS's have had them in the past, the recent 150 I installed did not, but the Airdog it is standard

**fuel lines, the FASS comes with 3/8's the Airdog is 1/2"

**size, the Airdog is about 30% smaller and mounts behind the transfer case with a bolt on bracket that requires no drilling

Both units were very close for noise. The FASS was a little louder, but is much quieter with the new design than they way it used to be.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
What about the pickup for in-tank mounted lift pump trucks? I sent them an email about it today but haven't got an answer yet.
I am not sure, you may need to drop your tank and put in a draw tube - but rather than me guessing - call PureFlow and ask to speak to Toby Parks - he is the go to tech guy - he answered all my questions emailed me an advance copy of the install instructions and told me if I got into it and stumbled he is available to talk me thru it.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 PM

yes, you have to install a draw straw on the 05 and newer trucks. It consists of a bulkhead fitting, 90* JIC adapter and a pick up tube that you can cut to length to make sure you are at an optimum depth in the tank

Quick Reply: Airdog or Glacier