3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog or Glacier

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airdog or Glacier

Not many post concerning the Airdog, I did learn that it is the FASS 's Father - it looks like a solid system. Combines pump and filters into a compact unit - 3 micron filtration & water separator, 100gph flow, 1/2inch line straight to the cp3. Current price is very attractive.

Glacier's GFS 392 is a great pump and it can be had with 2 micron filtration & water separator and a big line kit. It has many post attesting to its steady flow at more demand than my truck will ever see. I am not sure where to mount the filters -mine has the big honking APS thing.

I don't intend to power up much more than I am - I will probably put my quad std box back on - I took it off a while back due to fuel pressure concerns- looking for long term solution to the lift pump problem.

Right now the Airdog is priced about one tank of diesel less than the GFS 392 with the combo filter/separator - any comments appreciated.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM

I just got the Fuel Boss, the Glacier mech fuel pump. I'm just putting the 'vent mod' and replacement 'drawstraw' in the tank, haven't got to mounting the filters and fuel pump, but I really like Richard's service, call him anytime, he picks up the phone, answers any questions. I'll definetely use him again.
IMO, the products are absolutely first rate.
Somebody mentioned, I'm not sure if it's true, that Airdog uses their own filters, so you can't go to Napa, or whereever and pick up a filter. In my book, that's a drawback.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:15 PM

There is no system in production that I know about that can even come close to the fuel boss system. If you value your truck and are willing to spend a few extra dollars than there is no other choice. Richard himself told me that he would put a fuel boss system on every truck if it was his choice. If you don't want to spend the extra cash their walbro based sytem is still a really good system but can't even compare to the benefits of the fuel boss. PM me if you have any questions or talk to Richard at GDP. Tom J.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM

i am running the walbro pump and twin filter setup from GDP and love it. Rich there is a great guy to work with and can hook you up with what you exactly need, just tell him your plans.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 AM

Mcneal,
To give you a little more info on the AirDog, It comes as the 100 & 150 (GPH).
It now has a big brother, the Superdog 250. The SuperDog is diecast and has an injection molded cover. You can get more info at PureFlow Technologies website or search under Fuel Preporator. The site is now under major construction.

To give the product a little more credibility, you can click on the class 8 menu bar to see a number of referrences to university testing, lab testing, military testing etc. as well as the fact that the product is approved for sale and use in CA by CARB. This is only a partial list. When the site is finished, all of the testing results and certification will be posted.

I know that you did not ask for a science lesson, but, a few comments are always made about the importance of removing air from diesel fuel. Please bare with me.

Air in fuel is known by all engine manufacturers to be not only detrimental to the performance of the engine (retarded injection timing and spray pattern disruption), but to also cause permanent damage to the fuel injection system. Air and vapor can cause galling of the injector barrel/plunger assembly, pitting of the barrel, and tip erosion that can eventually lead to tip loss.

Cummins Service Topic 5-135, 1965, explains some about air in fuel and Caterpillar's Special Instruction 651-1250 points out that there is up to 10% air in fuel. Parker Hannifin and Milwaukee School of Engineering, also confirm air in fuel. If you would like to see it for your self, simply fill a soda bottle half full of diesel. (put the cap back on) Hold it in front of a light and shake it as a fuel tank shakes when you are driving. You need a bright light and good viewing conditions to really see the air. Also imagine the return flow from the engine agitating the fuel and entraining even more air!

The Fuel Preporator system is available in sizes (flow rates) from the very small AirDog (7" L x3.2" W x 10" T) & the SuperDog 250 for pickups, to the FP-200 for Class 8 trucks, and the FP-450 & 650 for diesels of 14,200 cu. in. or more for locomotives and tugs.

The right fuel delivery system for a diesel has the features to filter for particulates, remove water, remove entrained air, and maintain the necessary positive pressure flow of fuel to meet the demand of the engine regardless of filter condition or altitude. Remember, a fuel pump does not suck the fuel from the tank. It is driven by atmospheric pressure on the surface of the fuel. Note: atmospheric pressure drops by about 15% at 5,000 ft. (Denver) and about 30% at 10,000 ft. (Eisenhauer Tunnel). Vacuum feed systems, a fuel pump and a simple filter just don't get it any more!

To protect your fuel system and maintain peak performance,t he Fuel Preporator system removes water, particulates, and entrained air and has the means to maintain a positive flow of fuel to meet the demand of the engine regardless of filter conditions and altitude of operation. (No more need to derate the power output of the engine for altitude)

My appologies for a long post.

Charlie

Last edited by Fuel Preporator; 11-09-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Glacier 392 Perf. system and really like it. It was my next mod after gauges and before Smarty. There was a definite increase in power and responsiveness simply from the better pump. I also have the 2u filter and big line kit. The 2u filter setup is great and the actual reason I got the filter and fuel system in the first place.

Richard is awesome and provides excellent service. I had no problems at all with my pump but did talk to him a couple times about some other products that may be in development. All questions were answered quickly and professionally. I highly recommend Glacier!
Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 AM

i know a lot of people here use the glacier system but i'm going with the air dog. it is made by the father of the guy who puts out the fass system but the filtration is far superior-in fact fass leaving out some of the air dog's filtering system is the reason the fass system was able to put out their system w/o it being patent infringement. you can get the entire air dog system inc. fuel/water seperator and 3 micron filter for $599 delivered which is a pretty good price compared to other complete ststems.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Banned

you mentioned one big reason to not go with a FASS or AirDog....

" Combines pump and filters into a compact unit "

If it were to break.... you're stuck ! The pump is integrated into the filter housing which means if it goes out.... it's not a easy fix.

On the other hand... a walbro is a little over a $100. You can keep a spare in the glove box and if it happens to go out on you, it's a 15min fix on the side of the road.

That's one reason to think about. The filter can be mounted anywhere you want so, your worrying about something in the way isn't really a concern.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 AM

I have run an Airdog on our old 03 truck since 2002 with no issues. This was one of their first pumps ever for the CTD Ram. I have just purchased a new 07 5.9L CTD Ram and the first mod was to install an Airdog. The updated setup is awesome! The brackets require no drilling of the frame, all 1/2" line, nice wiring harness, and a smooth install.

Doug
Old 11-09-2007, 07:37 AM

I am in the middle of making the same decision - but which system to get?!

Am I correct in assuming that the Walbro system does not remove the air in the fuel? I am not planning (at this time) to go massive in HP, but if removing the air in the fuel can improve performance and reduce long term wear on the engine, I am all for it.

Can someone please clarify the two systems for me: AirDog and Walbro

Thanks folks!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Banned

neither remove air. They have a water separator. With the walbro, you can just use the stock filter housing which is a filter/water separator. You can have a 2 micron along with the stock 5 micron. Cheaper than buying to full size filters

One thing I really don't care for with the pumps in question is.... when will you ever need 95 or 150 GPH ? Maybe if you have 400hp injectors
Old 11-09-2007, 07:50 AM

Tritont -

Thanks for the info. My issue is that my fuel pressure is dropping to 1 PSI (from 6-7 PSI at idle) when I stomp on the pedal. I am running the Smarty #3 and the XZT chip, so nothing really radical.

I am just trying to get the fuel pressure up, maintain good performance and reliability, without aspirations of huge HP.

With that, what would you recommend? Someone recommended FASS, another Walbro. I want to address this issue, but I am confused!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Banned

it's a coin toss. All the pumps do the same job and all do it well. The FASS will be louder than a walbro although they did do something to cut down the noise.

Personally, I like the walbro for the reasons I stated above. Sure, you may never have a problem with any but, if you do... I'd rather be able to fix it on the side of the road than to call a tow truck.

I haven't looked at all the kits prices lately but, that could be a determining factor in your choice. GDP's customer service is second to none ! That's another reason to go with the walbro. Richard is a great guy and answers the phone just about anytime you call.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Tritont -

Thanks for the insight. I was actually leaning towards the Fuel Boss with an improved filter. I will call Richard and talk with him about solutions.

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to getting that FP up!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought you left the factory pump in the tank and if there ever was a problem with the FASS or Air dog pump you just reconnect you factory pump wires and lines..and your good to go???

does the airdog come with a new pick-up tube????

Quick Reply: Airdog or Glacier