3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Airdog 150 Wiring Cleanup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets see if this works!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 AM

Bump.........
Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM

IMHO it'll work in principle. The only problem I can see is in the long runs of wire back and forth into the cab and the small gauge OEM wire . There will be a huge increase in resistance with those long wire runs. Unfortunately, DC uses wires to barely put up with amperage draw stock. Once you add the increased draw from the AD, and more resistance in the length of wire run, I have little doubt the OEM wiring will melt causing you bigger issues.

If you use the OEM pump power wire just to trigger the AD relay through the switch, no problem as the relay only requires ~0.4 amps to trigger. However, the resistance in the increased length of wire to get to your switch, then back to the OEM pump will still be an issue IMHO. It would be best to have another relay in this case to power your OEM pump as well.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 PM

well i did the install today and decided to try something different as far as mounting the airdog. after i got a look at the spot under the cab they want you to mount it i decided to mount it somewhere else instead.

i mounted it next to the tank on the frame crossmember above the driveshaft. this was cake due to the bed already being off. i was able to sit on the frame rail and make all my connections comfortably i simply modified the bracket a bit and drilled some holes through the crossmember and used 2 of the long bolts they supplied. it worked out beautifuly if i do say so

filter access is simple also, directly above and to each side of the driveshaft. and this gets the assembly higher off the ground and shielded by other parts or the truck. also that goofy sandwich bracket they give you wont hang down below your frame either. i would definately recommend this mounting location as an alternative. oh and i also had a few feet of hose left over because of it being closer to the tank as well
Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Sounds good. Can you post some pics?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 PM

i really do wish i had taken some pics while i was doing the install. i didnt even think to take my camera up to the shop w/ me today. maybee i can get some decent pics tomorrow from underneath the truck.

i should also point out that when installing the pump this far back you will have to lengthen the power and ground wires going to the pump by a few feet. the trigger wire i spliced in along the frame rail underneath the drivers door. this way i can always go back and hook up the stock pump w/o lifting the bed if need be.

the extra vulcan fitting i had worked out great as a return fitting on the tank.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post some pics I would like to see as well
Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 PM

still havent gotten any pics, i have had my hands full. tomorrow's not lookin good either but i will be doing some more work on it mon. or tue. and i will definatley get some pics then. im still waiting for my tapped 90* fitting to come in so i had to do the install w/o it for now. once it comes in i will be back at it again to install the tripple gauge pod and add in my fuel press gauge so i will get some pics then.

the airdog is completely quiet, i dont even hear it running when im under the truck. but the engine sound has now changed at idle. i now have a ticking that comes and goes. anyone else experience this w/ the airdog?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost Ram
still havent gotten any pics, i have had my hands full. tomorrow's not lookin good either but i will be doing some more work on it mon. or tue. and i will definatley get some pics then. im still waiting for my tapped 90* fitting to come in so i had to do the install w/o it for now. once it comes in i will be back at it again to install the tripple gauge pod and add in my fuel press gauge so i will get some pics then.

the airdog is completely quiet, i dont even hear it running when im under the truck. but the engine sound has now changed at idle. i now have a ticking that comes and goes. anyone else experience this w/ the airdog?
You can't hear it at all? Mine is not really loud, but you can hear it. Seems that I can actually hear it better in the cab less exhaust noise I guess draws out the sound of the fuel pump. I know when it's running anyway. I'm not sure what your ticking would be.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 PM

See mine was loud and then went completly quiet to where i couldnt here it, had to get out of the truck and get right next to the pump to here it.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they do make some noise when they separate air...but overall run pretty dang quiet.
no tick on mine...
Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 AM

seems like my ticking has gone away now. maybee it was just air in the system at first?

the pump is very quiet, the only time i hear it at all is when i first turn the key on.

now when i first did the install and cracked the fitting at the cp3 to bleed the air out of the line before starting, it was very loud everytime i turned the key to trigger the pump. also something funny was that after the second time i turned the key on to prime it, the horn would beep and the cluster would light up like a christmas tree everytime i turned on the key to prime the system. im guessing because the ecm wasnt seeing fuel at the rail???

anyhow it works great and i cant wait to install my pressure gauge and try levels 7 and 9 on my smarty oh yeah, i will get some pics this time i promise
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM

here are the pics i promised, sorry i didnt take any while the bed was off.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:42 AM

so what do you guys think? sorry everyhting is a little dirty already, i had diesel all over everything after my hands had been in the tank and its also been raining here for the last couple days as well. it looked good out of the box though
Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 AM

From what I've see they want you to mount it perpendicular to the frame (which kinda sucks), I was thinkin of doing what Paul did and modifying my brackets so it sits flat on the frame.
Now I'm going to crawl under mine to see where you put yours.

Quick Reply: Airdog 150 Wiring Cleanup?